Android OS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought since this section is private and seldom use we could have some fun. I like may of you do lots of free and open source work... which doesn't pay the bills. Then I thought with all this open source for the community good work being done most of us have other jobs to report to, so what do you do in real life?

In the first world I tend bar and make a mean cocktail!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
In the first world I trade rare glass pipes (really theres a lot more money in than you'd think)
Am an audio production major
Totally in love with a beautiful girl (there is hope for nerds all around the world)
Am currently discussing employment with Apples Dev team(recently found/documented a major hole in 10.7, now have the cell phone of one of the heads at apple dev...) / potentially working at Verizon...we will see

I have been known to help others get intoxicated for money as well, like mr bird.

·
Themer
159 Posts
In the first world I am an industrial pipe fitter and industrial insulator. Basically I build and repair refineries that make gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and other petroleum based products. I also work in chemical plants from time to time as well as some commercial places.

I have been known to do some web/graphic design for extra money. When times get tough. Most of the time I do it for free.

I'm also a single father. I have a one year old son. If you met me in real life you would probably who the hell is this ******* and how the hell does he know about android.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
After 5 years as a helicopter gunner in the air force i have spent the last 9 years as a cable guy for a small cable company. last month i just got hired by one of the largest cable companies in the country as a head end tech. the head end is the point where your cable begins, the central transmission station. its the aspect of the industry that i find the most interesting. i am very greatful for this job as its a HUGE increse in pay that will allow my wife and i to buy a house and start making babies!!

·
The Jittery Gentleman
1,760 Posts
I'm a Home Systems Designer for Magnolia Audio/Video :D I get to play with some quite fun toys and build entire home automation systems for peoples homes as well as high end home theater set ups. I'll be changing my profession to back to broke college student this fall as I'm going back to college as a computer science major at Georgia State University.

Its pretty interesting to see the few answers that have been posted so far. Vastly different walks of life!

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
I'm an "IT Technical Services Manager" which basically means I get to buy all the cool new toys for my guys while I get stuck in meetings. Computer Science grad that had to finish 35 hours over a spring and summer to graduate - my daughter was born 2 weeks before I graduated. IT was the result of "oh crap I have a family to support, need a job _now_!"

That was almost 10 years ago. Man am I happy to be dev'ing again.

Sent from my DROIDX using RootzWiki

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Just a simple high school student, don't have a job yet, but I'm working on that. I plan on going into the Air Force after I graduate, with some sort of computer science degree, but in general I'm just a big n00b.

·
Mason Kernel Guy
215 Posts
I work for the largest security provider in the world. Most of my work is not even close to open source, I've signed so many nda I'm not even sure I should tell you that much.

Sent from my PC36100 using RootzWiki

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
College student going for BS in Biochemistry and MS in either Chemistry in general, Biochem, or Molecular Biology. I have a wonderful 2 year old daughter and a lovely fiance. Where is the time for android you ask? Hell if I know

·
Themer
1,007 Posts
Maintenance worker.. full time parent.. full time pats fan.. don't ask me how I got into android lol.. kinda just happened

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Part time graduate student (going for CS degree #2) and work for myself doing all sorts of ramdomness. Building websites in php or python, software development in C# or Java, various scripting in Bash, DB admin for a number of SQL DBs, and when I have time I work on some Android Apps and games for myself. I paid my way through my Undergraduate doing that stuff and I've just been doing it still until I'm finished with school and figure out what I really want to do.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Maintenance supervisor in a production plant. Studied Chemical Engineering in college and would like to move into something more engineering related, but it's easier said than done right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts