Android OS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have cable/satellite or anything. We get local stations in HD OTA via our antenna (better quality than any other tv provider available) and wish to continue doing this. Currently I have a computer setup in my A/V rack as a DVR with my antenna going into a tv capture card. It works great but it sure would be nice to get that full-size desktop case out of there.

Given that the Revue is only $100 now, I'm now very interested in it! However, it's obvious that it has no coax port so I would need to do something. Some quick googling makes it seem like I need an digital tuner with HDMI out. If I do this, is there any way to have the Google TV control the tuner or something like that? I'm looking for a nice, integrated system here managed by the Revue if at all possible.

Thanks!

·
Android Apprentice
22 Posts
What format does the antenna get captured in? Like video files? I download movies/shows and just use a dlna type program on my pc to dlna the videos to my revue. Works awesome.

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meibs said:
What format does the antenna get captured in? Like video files? I download movies/shows and just use a dlna type program on my pc to dlna the videos to my revue. Works awesome.
I think you misunderstand, I'm asking if the Revue can control live OTA television. Right now, I have a complete PC that the antenna is connected to - I want to remove this PC with the Revue but without losing my OTA television. I'm asking how to do this. So what I'm currently doing is irrelevant - I do not want to do what I am currently doing.

Any digital TV tuner can handle the antenna. Right now I have my PC with a digital tuner. What I would have with a Revue - I don't know and am asking about this.

·
Android Apprentice
66 Posts
I've been looking to do the same thing. Currently I have a Windows 7 Media Center DVR setup to receive QAM channels from TimeWarner Cable. I don't think there is anyway to connect a TV tuner to the Revue unless someone can develop drivers and an app for a USB OTA Tuner. You're best bet might be to use something like Playon or Orb with a media center setup in another room.

·
Android Beginner
71 Posts
I don't know about the Revue but I have the Sony Google TV and you can use over the air television with it. It has a coax input. I am guessing you are wondering if the Review has a HD tuner right? I don't think it does, but you could use a digital tuner box with it for sure, which you can find for like 30 bucks.....paired with the Revue for 99 bucks would still be not much of an investment. One thing to remember though, the Revue only has HDMI inputs.

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
twiddler said:
I've been looking to do the same thing. Currently I have a Windows 7 Media Center DVR setup to receive QAM channels from TimeWarner Cable. I don't think there is anyway to connect a TV tuner to the Revue unless someone can develop drivers and an app for a USB OTA Tuner. You're best bet might be to use something like Playon or Orb with a media center setup in another room.
That wouldn't help much with live tv, would it? Most of the live TV that I watch is football. I don't want to be forced to wait for it to be recorded before I watch it. :-/

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jchapman007 said:
I don't know about the Revue but I have the Sony Google TV and you can use over the air television with it. It has a coax input. I am guessing you are wondering if the Review has a HD tuner right? I don't think it does, but you could use a digital tuner box with it for sure, which you can find for like 30 bucks.....paired with the Revue for 99 bucks would still be not much of an investment. One thing to remember though, the Revue only has HDMI inputs.
So it sounds like the answer to my question is "no" from what you're saying.

·
Android Apprentice
113 Posts
My understanding of the revue is that all it really does is a universal remote, intercept the video feed from the cable box via hdmi and can choose what is displayed on the tv be it the googletv/tv/or both. it is not a tuner/dvr of any kind. It just lets you access the internet on the tv and watch tv.

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
I'm understanding there are two challenges:

1. Find an OTA tuner that can output DVI so you can put the Revue in-line between the Tuner and TV.
2. Use the Revue as a remote for the tuner.

Edit: After poking around a bit, I found this post which seems to cover what you're after rather nicely:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Can-Revue-be-used-without-a-STB/td-p/528350/page/3

Of course, the Revue isn't going to add any DVR functionality. The Channelmaster tuner/DVR can do that, though, if you want it. You'll still need an Ethernet or WiFI Internet feed for the streaming. From my understanding, the nice search and Guide functions won't do anything for you. Streaming and Internet functions should work fine, with or without the tuner.

- Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts