Android OS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I see CM are able to dual-boot, so it's obviously possible, but I am yet to find any clear instructions. Does anyone have a dual-boot howto (or a link to one)?

·
Sorry, I must be new here
1,187 Posts
He wants his post to be removed

You will not find a way to dual-boot cm7 until an alpha is released
There are tutorials somewhere to dual-boot with ubuntu and webos but ubuntu is still very buggy as far as I know

What are you trying to dual-boot with?
Please list both OS's

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the Ubuntu is running in a chroot environment - i.e. 'on top of' WebOS

I have my TouchPad now and I'm ready to play, but I do not want to brick it (yet). What I would like to do is keep WebOS as the primay OS, but be able to load a seperate (stock standard) Linux kernel and initrd. ljesterl has indicated he is running U-Boot, but I think he needs to have the TouchPad plugged into has computer to do so. I suppose it is not critical right now that dual-boot is done without the TouchPad plugged in, but WebOS should boot cleanly from power-up normally.

Ulitimately, I want to dual-boot (without having to plug in) between WebOS and a vanilla Linux kernel + LFS (Linux from Scratch) OS (and possibly triple-boot into Android)

·
Average Android
56 Posts
I don't suppose anybody has played with using resizefat to make space available for the ubuntu chroot environment? I'm too lazy to use meta-doctor because it means backing everything up and then putting it back on, and I'm afraid of manually messing with the partition table due to brick potential.

·
Sorry, I must be new here
1,187 Posts
calris said:
I understand the Ubuntu is running in a chroot environment - i.e. 'on top of' WebOS

I have my TouchPad now and I'm ready to play, but I do not want to brick it (yet). What I would like to do is keep WebOS as the primay OS, but be able to load a seperate (stock standard) Linux kernel and initrd. ljesterl has indicated he is running U-Boot, but I think he needs to have the TouchPad plugged into has computer to do so. I suppose it is not critical right now that dual-boot is done without the TouchPad plugged in, but WebOS should boot cleanly from power-up normally.

Ulitimately, I want to dual-boot (without having to plug in) between WebOS and a vanilla Linux kernel + LFS (Linux from Scratch) OS (and possibly triple-boot into Android)
I don't know of any tutorials but if you know about recoveries or boot managers you can mod uboot to allow dual boots without a pc
the only reason he is plugged in is to either issue commands or for that new BS safety feature that requires a charge to do anything

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BrentBlend said:
...you can mod uboot to allow dual boots without a pc...
That is what I'm talking about :)

I finally have my TouchPad and downloaded NovaTerm/NovaCom and the SDK last night, so I now have root access and access to bootie - Now I just need to find out what U-Boot patches are needed and how to run it - I am thinking that:
- U-Boot can be loaded into memory and executed from Bootie
- U-Boot can load and execute WebOS
- U-Boot could be copied onto the TouchPad iNAND and the Bootie environment changed to load U-Boot instead of WebOS
- U-Boot could monitor a hardware input (say the 'Volume Down' button) and load an alternate OS instead of WebOS

This will be my focus - Hopefully one day I can then get rid of Bootie entirely and have U-Boot as the main bootloader

·
Average Android
84 Posts
calris said:
Hi all,

I see CM are able to dual-boot, so it's obviously possible, but I am yet to find any clear instructions. Does anyone have a dual-boot howto (or a link to one)?
its not completed the Developers are working on it contact them if you want in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts