Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time post, but long time creeper on the forums. I finally made the plunge and bought a charge, but I decided to purchase one second hand at a really good price with some nice extras and it came pre-rooted with a custom ROM installed.

The only problem is that the guy I bought it from had his friend root it, so he has no idea what all has been put on the phone. Is there a way to find out what customizations have been done? Honestly the phone runs fine so a part of me is thinking it might be best to leave well enough alone, but curiousity has the best of me.

Thanks for any help you can offer, sorry for the noob question.

·
Android Fanatic
195 Posts
there's not really much you can do to tell except what the rom looks like or what it says in the about phone section of settings... baseband? kernel? froyo or GB?

Sent from my Droid Charge using RootzWiki Forums

·
Hacker Wannabe
595 Posts
anoninja118 said:
there's not really much you can do to tell except what the rom looks like or what it says in the about phone section of settings... baseband? kernel? froyo or GB?

This

Also, if you can post a screenshot from the phone, we might be able to tell something about it from the theme, depending on how much they customized it.

·
Supporting Member
167 Posts
I have a frosty beer that says since it's a bunch of people who don't have a clue what they're doing or what was done to the phone, it's running humble :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

·
Android Fanatic
195 Posts
"wyllic said:
I have a frosty beer that says since it's a bunch of people who don't have a clue what they're doing or what was done to the phone, it's running humble :)

lol i'd be surprised if this wasn't true

·
Android pony
49 Posts
"wyllic said:

So whats up with the humble hate?? I thought it was a decent rom.. And I had good experiances with it. Excluding 1.6 which I'm almost certain ruined my 1st charge. Up untill infinity was relesed humble was my fav

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The news app was already set that way I swear lol. Hilarious that it happened to catch at that moment. So any ideas on what it could be running? And how safe would it be to tear it all down and build from scratch?

·
Hacker Wannabe
595 Posts
Sdeph5200 said:
The news app was already set that way I swear lol. Hilarious that it happened to catch at that moment. So any ideas on what it could be running? And how safe would it be to tear it all down and build from scratch?
Looks like it could be Eclipse. What versions are you seeing in About Phone?

You can easily just wipe and start over from anywhere. You can either load stock EE4 Froyo or EP1W Gingerbread and go from there.

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kernal version 2.6.32.9 se.infra @sei28#1

Build number SCH-I510.EE4

yea im noticing that a lot is missing from the phone. For one thing no market at all and al market links say unautherized. Is it very difficult to flash back to basic? Im new to mobile phone modding, but my technical ability is pretty decent. I could google but it semester you guys are quiteba resource on this.information. the guide to getinf started doesn't mention flashing back to clean without cwm(or if it did I missed it.

Thanks again for the great help guys

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Typing on this thing is gonna take some getting used to. I've been using a pplixi and a bb tour lol. First android phone I've owned

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright I've booted into CWM Voodo Lagfix Recovery v3.2.0.1

From here I'm assuming I should choose to Wipe data/factory reset correct? I'm just confirming before I do this. I don't want to risk my new baby too much =D

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually is it possible for me to just download the new rom I want to use and just install it from this menu? Or is it best practice to wipe and then start fresh?

·
Android Fanatic
195 Posts
that is Gummy 2.0 FE judging by the fact that its froyo and the look of the status bar and Gummy launcher2... this means you have voodoo lagfix and CWM so you could flash any other rom you want in CWM or you could Odin another rom or back to stock no problem

·
Hacker Wannabe
595 Posts
I'd like to note as well that 3.2.01 is a pretty old CWM release. It will work, but I recall "Go Back" being a bit touchy on that version. If you can get there though, you can pretty much flash any rom you want. Any time you install a new ROM, you need to do Wipe data/factory reset. Copy the CWM compatible zip file to your sdcard and choose the option to install from a zip, pick the file, and let it do its work.

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I've told it to wipe data/factory reset from CWM, and its been about 20-25 minutes and it appears stuck on Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure.

From poking around I've read that I should probably use Odin at this point, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone else had that experience on their Charge before doing that. Also I need to find a link to Odin that isn't blocked by my work lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts