Android OS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my DS7 and thought I'd share my initial thoughts. As of now, I've had it ~3 minutes and done practically nothing with it but figured I'd still share things that I probably could have known but was surprised about despite my research into this tablet.

1. This has a real nice feel to it. My Nook Color felt solid but it wasn't the most ergonomically-designed device imho. This is an upgrade on that.
  2. There is no search button! I actually consider this a plus - I've always thought that button was more-or-less useless unless I remap it to something useful.
  3. No micro SD card slot - this thing takes a full SD card! (Time to swing by Fry's on the way home!)
  4. Boy, this stock launcher is horrible! Forget that it's still Froyo (for now until Dell releases Honeycomb), this launcher is terrible!
  5. Now I want to see if I can find somebody who can spare a TMo SIM card for me to play with. I ultimately plan on this just being wifi-only, but I'm definitely curious...

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Further observation: Battery isn't the best. Also, apparently it has issues charging off of USB. I've even tried powered USB ports with no luck. I have more cheap chargers coming in from ebay soon so it's not a big deal but be advised.

I'm now looking for some sort of cheap dock. I like the multimedia dock and all but I can't find it for less than $50 and that's just too much imho.

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you feel about your purchase now? I'm thinking of picking up a WiFi version for 175. I have a nook color, running MIUI , and I love it. How do they compare?
I'm still happier with my DS7. The battery is kinda bad (but I tend to use it mostly at home and work where recharging it is easy) and the screen resolution is too low (most days I think about how I wish it had a better resolution) but aside from that, I like this better than the nook in almost every way. Performance is tons better, I have a good HC ROM on it, more comfortable to hold, camera/gps/Bluetooth with antenna, screen sensitivity is much better, speakers are actually pretty good, and when we get ICS, I think the performance gap will increase. So yes, I'm still very happy. But yes, I really wish it had a higher resolution screen.

·
Android Apprentice
112 Posts
That's good to hear.. Thanks also for keeping the DS7 section up to date. It was hard finding current information about the tablet on the other forums.

I'd love to get a full blown tablet like the transformer, but I'm saving up so I can get the GNEX on release day:)

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
I just got two, one for me and my wife. I have to say I am actually very happy with it as is my wife. I have to agree with the screen resolution. I would like to have seen them put a better LCD in it but I am also used to using a Galaxy S with the AMOLED so that may be part of it. Battery is really good for me. I get around 8 hours of use off of mine. Mostly reading forums and chatting. My wife plays games on hers and she gets decent battery too. But this is my first tablet so I really have no idea what kind of battery life I should be looking for. I'm running the stock HC rooted and debloated. I am very happy with it.

Just another post from a CM7 junkie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts