Android OS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Ubuntu 12.04 for about a month now. I'm very much still a Linux newbie. Anyway, when I first installed Linux, I had to install with nomodeset in grub to boot. I heard once the install was done, the graphics drivers would load on their own. After the install, I thought I was plagued yet again with the black screen on boot. So I updated grub to boot nomodeset by default. This worked and I was happy. However it stuck with me the garbage vesa driver. I still preferred it to Windows so I didn't particularly mind

I had a few issues obviously pertaining to my graphics drivers. Flickering mouse, no 3D compatibility so I was stuck in unity 2d or gnome fallback.
So for the last three days I've tried every solution on the planet to install new Intel graphics drivers and boot without using nomodeset and getting stuck with vesa.

Finally after I'd spent about three hours today on it (and probably close to about 15 over the 3 days) and I was still greeted with a black screen on boot, I slammed my keyboard in disgust. The login screen was faintly showing. I noticed that in my disgust, I had hit the brightness key. I hit it again and the screen got brighter!

All along my drivers were functioning fine, but it was defaulting to 0 brightness on boot! As much as I enjoyed Ubuntu on vesa, I enjoy it 1000x more now that I have proper graphics drivers.

Anyway, sorry if I no one cares, but hopefully this saves someone else from the reinstalls and 'fixes', I performed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Bleh Ubuntu, I think of the good old days when 10.04 reigned supreme, not an issue in sight.

You might try Mint with Cinnamon, lovin' the visual effects!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts