Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
I just wanted to say. What an interesting an an uncommon concept as far as how to utilize the kernel. A majority want to limit the CPU max speed to save battery life but if it runs at a slower speed too long it could actually waste more power racing to idle. Just a question. What is deep sleep in cpu spy? Is that the idle power mode for whatever speed you're running? I need to read more into this C states and P states in the article you linked on faux's page. Some research of my own might answer some confusion. The obvious answer is that lower cpu states run at a lower voltage and may use less power but some evidence here seems to show otherwise.

Gotta say though. First impressions are that it's very responsive at G-110|I-110. Plus if battery holds up this may be a keeper.

PS. I love portal.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Should we be enabling the 350 slot here? Or leave it at 700-1200?

Also, give the kernel about ten minutes upon first flash before it'll go into deep sleep.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
If you're using the test governor you can enable 350. It still prefers 1200 I've noticed. If you're on performance there's no effect as performance stays at the highest speed.

I'm seeing pretty good battery life for a kernel/governor that is happy at 1200mhz and a side effect is so smooth when running.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
I'm real impressed. You do your research! And it's super smooth as well. Running the +5% on both. Though I def have trouble between this and faux's right now. I'm going to give 1.4 a whirl for a while. I ran faux's for a few hours tonight before flashing back to 1.4. Other than wheatley being default in 1.4 are there any other changes with it from test? Just curious though I'm staying on stable so I can report if I have issues (doubt I will though) Good work. Still a bit confused on the C4 state but I'm guessing it's the lowest power the CPU can be at besides the deep sleep state (though I think deep sleep is more than just CPU in a low state).

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
You should upgrade from the test kernel to GLaDOS V1.4. I did some further tweaks for the test kernel which did not work out as expected and have been removed for the official release.
I did upgrade to 1.4 as soon as I saw it last night. Too soon to report on battery life but smoothness is worth the switch. I have to mention that I'm on AOKP build 19. I started with the g105-i105 but when to stock g100|i100.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Is there a reason there are only 4 frequency slots available in the 100/100 version?
Live OC - see first post - takes away the need for additional slots. Try it for a few days at least and see how battery is. When I intially flashed the kernel (v1.4) battery life didn't seem as good as other kernels but after using it for a couple days it seems better. Deep sleep is on par with other kernels on v1.4's default governor wheatley.

This is just an opinion and not necessarily fact but I think going below 350 is unnecessary. A single random reboot or sleep of death could cost the battery life saved at 230 or 180.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Actually I was hoping for additional slots on the lower end (below 1.2ghz) that way when it ramps up, it may only need 1.06ghz or so?
Not a bad idea. But I do know as that battery life still feels good on this kernel even with 1.2ghz having the highest percentage. I don't know details on the governor but it works different than interactive or ondemand but yet it's based on ondemand.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
That isn't the case.. I froze gtalk before, and my market works fine. And I turned off all sync anyway to improve battery life.

On a side note, does anyone know what the "*backup*" android process is?? Causing wakelocks - 14 m running in under an hour. Does this have to do with market syncing/ backing up apps?
That may be the cause of your drain. Go to backup and reset in the settings menu. Then uncheck automatic restore and backup my data. Do it in that order to make sure that both get unchecked. I don't use it as I don't really like it and restore with TiBU.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
how big is the file? Im not sure if its broke or what but im at 185 MBs DLed so for, and still going with no estimated time to finish
Don't click download next to releases, click the folder for releases, then click on the version and then you have your kernels.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Is this rom.. Overvolted?!
on 1.6 it says default voltage for 1200MHz is 1380 mV is this correct?
920 MHz says 1317 MV..
This kernel is stock voltages. It always has been. Ezekeel explained a couple pages back that the phone has a driver that sets voltages and he doesn't believe undervolting will help and that it can only cause problems.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
So your voltages are the same as mine?
I undervolted mine a bit but no guarantee that it did anything and with the smartreflex driver it may not even be what I set it to. Perhaps ezekeel can explain it better.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Adding user voltage scaling doesn't help out much if we can't change the upper slots before we set the Live OC. Is there a way you could up the voltages for all possible slots up to 1.5? I really wanna try it out but I can't without locking, so in turn there is no way to actually raise the voltage on this slot, or anything above 1.2
Actually it does. If you up the voltage on 1200 and set live OC, the new voltage will be applied to that new speed. Live OC doesn't add speeds, rather it multiplies existing speeds by a multiplier (except the 350 mhz slot). Basically the voltage applies to that slot and if you use live OC it modifies that slot and doesn't add new slots.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
DON'T DO WHAT I DID: (it just changed numbers, and nothing else as you can see by the screenshot) BUT DO NOT DO THIS: root explorer and changing the values with a text editor.
lol. herp derp
That is exactly what LiveOC is supposed to do. It increases each speed by that percentage. Looks like you set it to 120 which would multiply min and max by 1.2 which increases 350 to 420 and 1200 to 1440. That is exactly as liveOC is intended, but don't haphazardly change it. Were you having instability issues?

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
I changed it with root explorer. I am 95% sure that's NOT what you should do. The numbers change, but the actual values stay the same. Look closely at the screenshot.
I didn't haphazardly change it. I knew what I was doing, it just wasn't what I should have been doing
Root explorer should be identical to setting via an echo command in an init.d script. But I know liveOC works as when I set it too high, I had major major lag but when I set it back to a reasonable amount it smoothed out. This was even when I overvolted by 70. I wouldn't be concerned with what setCPU says. It doesn't react properly to the way liveOC works so I don't think it will report correctly.

Or it could be due to the set at boot being on locking the max. Either way LiveOC is a static multiplier on the speed slot. I don't know if scaling_available_frequencies needs to be updated when LiveOC is in play or not to help with setcpu or rom control but I remember it acting funny with both at times.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
The values appear to stay the same because you need to re-set the app. Auto detect settings again and setcpu will show what you set in liveoc. Works for me, I increased value to 110. So min/max are 1320/385.
Tiny, it seems stable, but is it better to just not oc at all?

Also, really happy about no gpu oc.
I think I confused a few people. I was trying to say just that root explorer works with OC as I had stability and lag issues when I pushed it too high (about 1.42+ ghz) which I wasn't able to get working correctly on other kernels either.

I think overclocking would be up to the user. I wasn't trying to discourage from doing it. I pushed it high on purpose to see how liveOC would work at 1.42-1.5ghz versus a set OC value slot by the dev.

And I don't think I'll try a custom Gnex kernel. The phone is too picky about changes.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Still only compatible with 4.0.3?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
It's incompatible with 4.0.2 but should be ok on 4.0.4. Other kernels that replace the ramdisk seem to work ok on 4.0.4 (leankernel, franco) so I believe this one will be fine. I haven't tested it, but it should be fine. If in doubt, nandroid :)

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
hey E
can you add...
1) a 1.38ghz setting w/o liveoc? it's really unstable and I have stopped using it. (unstable, as in very hit or miss on coreoc)
2) the ability to keep the minimum mhz down while raising the maximum mhz.
I love this kernel otherwise. Amazing batterylife 24+ hours. (I haven't even started undervolting) :)
Just an FYI, MPU is the one you want to OC if you want to increase your CPU speed. You mentioned hit or miss on coreoc in relation to being unstable in the same point as 1.38ghz.

Edit: I lost all I was going to say.

But Ezekeel, what do you think about interactive for screen off and wheatley for screen on? i was thinking that it may help battery as I would think playing music constantly would keep the phone in a higher power C state so in turn to balance it to use a more conservative CPU scaling and not follow the C4 state favoring wheatley governor for screen off music playing.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Set CPU doesn't play nice with this kernel.
you can still verify speeds in the voltages tab and confirm the governor in the main tab. But there are files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq that show your current min and max and governor

1 - 20 of 121 Posts