Android OS Forum banner

[KERNEL][27 MAR] GLaDOS V2.3 for JB 4.2.2

480K views 3K replies 392 participants last post by  droidlover 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Aperture Laboratories presents

GLaDOS V2.3

The latest innovation in human-smartphone interaction. Our scientist have shown in extensive tests that humans operating our kernel on their devices experience 67% more joy in life while simultaneously the likelihood of being maimed or killed by falling space debris is significantly reduced. Also preliminary human trials indicate that it might offer some protection against lethal dosages of gamma radiation and blows to the head with a rod-like object.

Features:
  • Based on stock Android kernel Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ39
  • Live OC version 2
  • Custom Voltage version 3
  • Battery Life eXtender (BLX) version 1
  • SLQB memory allocator
  • Simple I/O (SIO) and Read-over-Write (RoW) block schedulers
  • Color Control version 4 (based on supercurio's idea)
  • CPUfreq governor 'Wheatley'
  • Additional 1.4GHz, 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz MPU frequency slots
  • Sound Control version 1
  • Temp Control version 1
  • Vibrator Control version 1
  • FSync Control version 1
  • USB Fast Charge
  • Gamma control
  • WiFi low latency power mode
  • CIFS (as module)
  • TUN (as module)
  • NFS client + server (as module)
  • NTFS read/write support (as module)
  • Cleaned out all unnecessary kernel features and drivers
  • Various other tweaks

The kernel is compatible with all versions of the Galaxy Nexus no matter GSM or LTE or which carrier.

I do not support the Cyanogen Mod (CM) ROM and if you run into any problems using it with this kernel you are on your own.

Download (V1.X only for 4.0.3/4.0.4 ICS ROMs; V2.0 and V2.1 only for 4.1.1/4.1.2/4.2.1 JB ROMs; V2.2 only for 4.2.2 JB ROMs):
http://goo-inside.me...DOS-GalaxyNexus (thanks to goo-inside.me for hosting)
http://d-h.st/users/Ezekeel/?fld_id=1707#files (thanks to Dev-Host for hosting)

GLaDOS Control app:
Market: https://market.andro...l.gladoscontrol
Android Pit (accepts Paypal): http://www.androidpi.../GLaDOS-Control

If you had a different custom kernel installed before, you might need to reflash the original kernel that came with your ROM (boot.img in zip).

During installation the cache partition, Dalvik-cache and modules and init.d scripts from previously installed kernels are cleaned.

Permission is granted to distribute these zips and links on non-English speaking sites and forums. However permission is not granted to distribute these zips and links on sites and forums with English as their main language; instead please link to this thread. See the explanation in post #4.

Source code:
https://github.com/E...DOS-nexus-prime

This kernel is optimized to run best at the default options. There no need to change options like for example CPUfreq governor or min/max frequency - changing anything can have a negative effect on stability and performance.

Do not use profiles or hotplugging, they are unnecessary and only lead to instabilities.

If you experience any problems and are on a nightly or kanged ROM, try the latest stable version of that ROM first. I will not give support or answer any questions if you do not try this before reporting a problem with the kernel.

If you experience stability problems like reboots, freezes, FCs and SoDs and you did OC, first try changing back to the stock settings. If this solves the problems, your OC configuration is not stable. There are some indications that OC settings which run fine at high battery charges might still cause problems at lower battery charges. So to be safe always check that your OC configuration runs fine at low battery like 5%.

When reporting a bug always include information about your ROM and hardware model. Also be as precise as possible when describing the problem. Just because a single person is experiencing a problem, it does not mean there actually is a problem with the kernel. I always wait until at least one other person can confirm the issue before I look into it. So if you see someone posting a bug report, do not be shy and feel free to confirm the issue or if you do not have the problem let me know that too.

When asking for a feature you would like to see implemented in GLaDOS always provide a link with information about this tweak and preferably also a link to the source code.

Aperture bootanimation courtesy of Rascarlo ([twitter]rascarlo[/twitter]).

See less See more
#2,262 ·
You have to hold down each of the options you've selected and then choose "set to boot."

I had the same problem until someone explained it to me. I think something should be written in the app on how to get settings to stick after rebooting. This feature is not immediately apparent when one uses the app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

#2,268 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Ezekeel, any builds using the linaro gcc 4.7 compiler?? Would build it myself, but don't have a pc powerful enough atm (it takes forever)

BTW, I'd been jumping between kernels for a while, but pretty much settled with your kernel for a long time now... and even bought the app... thanks for your efforts and time!!

#2,271 ·
@ezekeel Im not quite understanding this linaro stuff other than its suppose to speed ics up tremendously. Now onto the question, im not much of a developer, but can linaro code be implented into a kernel, hince your kernel and not just the rom?

#2,272 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is something interesting on the topic from him.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1371044

What confuses me is how this all of the sudden its so incredibly popular if Ezekeel knew about and tested this back in December. Did something change? Initially I thought that perhaps the changes didnt make a difference in the kernel, but now maybe they had updated something for the actual ROM OS itself. After looking at some comments on CM9 Linaro varients it seems that the changes are assumed to be in the kernel.

If that is the case, I would tend to believe this is the same thing that Eze tested several months ago. I am not sure what to believe at this point, but would certainly like an explanation on its uses in a ROM vs a Kernel and if this truly is viable. If it is a kernel then I can try it out by simply updating my kernel, but if it is a ROM than its a tad more extensive. Something must have changed if it existed in December, but just now is getting the sort of attention that its getting.

#2,283 ·
I don't think Wheatley likes Lightflow, I let it idle overnight with some Lightflow notifications on and woke up with a decent drain and 50% of the drain being Android OS (kernel)

uninstalled lightflow and idle drain is back to normal though

#2,290 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree completely metal he is the dev of devs. The compass fix I was referring to is that 1.34 like most kernels compass is still 180 degrees off. The only kernel with it fixed is cm9 I believe. I have been a huge Ez fan since my NS4G which is why the first thing I did when i bought my Sprint Toro plus was buy his app and install 1.30 :)

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.