Android OS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Android Developer
451 Posts
Savaged-Zen is back, after graduating college (bbdeward), and getting a AOSP phone back lol (jsseidel1). Were starting off by building a Gnex Kernel. We have always belived that its not about what you can put in a kernel how many features or modules you can cram into it. its having a stable, fast and battery efficient kernel.

Stances on:
CIFS: Its great to have, but really for a phone? why? just something more to drain your battery, your internal storage has 32GB ram, and you can get apps like dropbox.
Quadrant Scores: i can take the time to code into the kernel to give you a high quadrant score... but all that will do is give you a high number to brag about... you phone wont actually run any better.
1.4ghz: is stable and fine to run at with the right voltage... its not necessarily a good idea to UV a OC'd unsupported voltage, odds are 1.4 and 1.5 were removed from stock and the kernel because the voltage required is too high for a LTE phone and would kill your battery. Try selling a phone with 4hrs standby time. We did however enable 1.4ghz for those who want to push the limits, but realize, you will get shitty battery life.

Current version: 0.2.3

kernel base is built off of 4.0.3 kernel source code.

News:
* [1/4] Version 0.0.1 released
* [1/5] Still Version 0.0.1 but stable
* [1/7] Added two OC freq steps
* [1/9] Added BFQ and SLQB
* [1/9] Fix BFQ Bug lower voltage

Development plan:
* The alpha stage (0.0.X) will be focusing on properly branding the ROM and making sure that it is a solid base.
* The beta stage (0.X.0) will be focusing on custom tweaks, kernels, and modifications.
* The stable stage (X.0.0) will be focusing on fixing any left over issues from the beta stage.

Source code:
https://github.com/Savaged-Zen

Installation instructions:
* Wipe Dalvik Cache
* Flash Kernel
* Reboot

Download links: (Changelog below)
* Kernel v0.0.1: (this is a BETA its missing interactivex and savagedzen need to recompile... too tired
* Kernel v0.0.1 stable
* Kernel v0.0.1c
* Kernel v0.2.0
* Kernel v0.2.2
* Kernel V0.2.3

Developer Information:
Follow @SZGit on twitter for updates.

·
Android Developer
451 Posts
-----------------------------
Changelog

0.0.1:
* Savaged-Zen Kernel brand initial release
* Kernel upgraded to 3.0.14
* Added OC capability 1.35
* Added Savaged-Zen Gov, InteractiveXv2, smartass, SZ version of conservative, hotplug.
0.0.1 Stable:
* Removed SavagedZen gov, doesnt work well on this phone will rebuild.
* various UV tweaks based between imosyen and fauxs trial and errors (thanks guys)
* hotplug sucks dont use it till i fix it up (researching)
0.0.1c Stable:
* Enabled autogroup scheduler
* fixed kernel naming to remove garbage at the end of the kernel file name.
* GPU Overclocked to 384mhz
0.2.0:
* Added 1.35 and 1.4 freq step
0.2.2:
* SLQB
* BFQ (defaulted)
0.2.3:
* Undervolted
* fixed BFQ
0.3.0:
* Kernel upgraded to 3.1.6
* Added 2 phase ondemand, Smartassv2
* BLX Mod

·
Registered
104 Posts
Changelog

0.0.1:
* Savaged-Zen Kernel brand initial release
* Kernel upgraded to 3.1.6
* Added OC capability 1.35
* Added Savaged-Zen Gov, InteractiveX, Smartassv2, smartass, SZ version of conservative, hotplug.

interesting...would you please explain the functionality of the "savaged-zen gov"?

·
Android Developer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
which interactiveX governor is this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
gov's have not been added yet, i've upgraded it to 3.0.14 brandon is going to get it to 3.1.6 tonight, then we're going to make sure if boots, and implementing the basic features... change log will be updated once its finalized. im liking the 2 phase on demand faux has so we might look into that..

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
gov's have not been added yet, i've upgraded it to 3.0.14 brandon is going to get it to 3.1.6 tonight, then we're going to make sure if boots, and implementing the basic features... change log will be updated once its finalized. im liking the 2 phase on demand faux has so we might look into that..
It's nice for battery life, but the performance of the on demand governor on this phone all around has been awful for me

·
Android Developer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's nice for battery life, but the performance of the on demand governor on this phone all around has been awful for me

good to know thanks for your input, if i can clarify we like the idea of the 2 phase, how one core shuts off on screen off. i still think the SZ Conservative is one of the best out there, it always works great for me, so we can see about implementing the phasing into that. of all if possible, really wont know for a few versions. baby steps/

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
good to know thanks for your input, if i can clarify we like the idea of the 2 phase, how one core shuts off on screen off. i still think the SZ Conservative is one of the best out there, it always works great for me, so we can see about implementing the phasing into that. of all if possible, really wont know for a few versions. baby steps/
Well I'm looking forward to it! My EVO friends make me jealous with this kernel

·
Maniac
303 Posts
Why put this up if it's not ready yet? I haven't had the opportunity to use these kernels, but I've heard a lot about them and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully soon.

·
Maniac
303 Posts
This is just a placeholder. SZ was known to develop some of the best AOSP Kernels. I'm pretty frakken stoked for this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know. That's why I was stoked too when I saw this yesterday. I guess all the Gnex love from the developers has me spoiled and impatient.

·
Android Developer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I know. That's why I was stoked too when I saw this yesterday. I guess all the Gnex love from the developers has me spoiled and impatient.
Brandon didnt get a chance to do his thing on the kernel last night, right now its bone stock, im waiting to do all my mods until he has it upgraded. hopefully he'll do it tonight... my stuff should only take a few minutes to implement.

·
Supporting Member
471 Posts
Ha ha no biggy. I feel the same way man

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Android Developer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok guys the base is updated, all our standard stuff is not in there yet, but wanted to get something out, brandon will do his stuff Friday afternoon, i will do more tomorrow, but this will give you something to play with :).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.