Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
764 Posts

Carbon Core is a new kernel I am working on for Carbon. It aims to be stable with thoroughly tested features that don't effect the experience, whilst being lag free. As with Carbon, Carbon Core is based off work done by _thalamus from Oxygen/Devnull.

Some points to remember:
  • This isn't my full vision for the kernel, but it's getting there
  • _thalamus is the reason this is here, both for the base and also for answering my (dumb) questions
  • Only Voodoo sound is implemented! Colour was supported only on the SAMOLED models anyway, but it would cause some green screen issues which I wanted to avoid
  • Stock frequencies and voltages, no OC or UV in this kernel
  • There will never be BLN in this kernel, ever. I don't see the need for it, plus it causes some instability and battery drain.
  • The Lazy governor has been set as default, however Ondemand has been tweaked so if you want slightly better performance try it instead.
  • Deep Idle has been implemented. It runs without flaws on my phone, but you may have issues. Please tell me about them! Feedback can help to fix things!
[hide='Downloads']
Carbon Core supports both Nexus S and Nexus S 4G variants, however due to not having a NS4G with me, I can't test the 4G with it. The zip also uses Koush's AnyKernel, so flash over whatever ROM you want, it shouldn't need a specific version for it.

VersionDownload LinkMD5 Sum
v1http://goo-inside.me/kernels/jonathongrigg/test/Carbon-Core-v1.zip5bee152cd840d00a4b536dabc9390942
Test v0.2http://goo-inside.me...e-test-v0.2.zip19247bdcfbc186e7138b7b815cb2de7d

[/hide]
[hide='Changelog']
Version 1 [6 Nov 2011]
  • Deep Idle with bugfixes up to #14 - Ezekeel
  • Kernel warning cleanup
  • Fixed issues with SetCPU and other control apps not showing available frequencies
  • Updated Lazy governor
  • Misc whitespace fixes in code
[/hide]
[hide='Misc Stuff']
  • _thalamus kernel details and features are here: http://forum.oxygen....pic.php?id=1057
    Please take a look there when looking for features or (god forbid) bug reports.
  • As a GPL requirement, all kernel sources are publicly available. You can find the source for Carbon Core here: https://github.com/j...igg/carbon-core
    When the kernel is what I feel as ready, it will be moved to the CarbonCode github account.
  • Credit to _thalamus for just about everything you see here, plus his help towards me in my endeavour to learn
  • Voodoo Sound credit to Supercurio from Project Voodoo
  • Lazy governor and Deep Idle by Ezekeel
[/hide]

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, a quiet thread here, but test v0.2 is now ready. This includes Lazy governor as default, plus some crappy code has been removed (I'm looking at you Samsung) in the start of my effort to clean up the kernel and eliminate slow downs.

Download here: http://goo-inside.me/kernels/jonathongrigg/Carbon-Core-test-v0.2.zip

Something else to mention, _thalamus has now discontinued his kernel, he said I seemed to be going well. I plan not to stray too far from his vision of a clean kernel, but plan to tweak and clean up everything in it.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"kptnk said:
Well I'm really happy that you can keep giving life to this kernel, and even improving it ! I'll test it right now and report.....thanks Jon ;)
No problems, please let me know how that one behaves over time if you choose to stick with it. I am currently running a test build with the Deep Sleep mod by Ezekeel to see how it runs, but I did try v0.2 for an hour or two before release. Its not completely stable for some but it's doing pretty well for an early version of the mod.

Sent from my Nexus S using RootzWiki Forums

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
"kptnk said:
I don't see Lazy gov in your kernel.....only On demand (default), powersave and performance....
Make sure you are on v0.2, not the first one. It should be there otherwise.

Edit: the link in the first post still points to the old version, that's why. Download using the link in the 3rd post, I will update the first one now.

Double edit: fixed :)

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
I'm running .1 and so far things have been extremely stable. No reboots. Battery life seems to be holding up pretty well. I'll probably wait until the next release if there are some stability issues as I need my phone for work and class during the week so I can't play around with the beta as much as I'd like, but I can do that this weekend. I'm very curious to see how your testing does with the deep sleep mod. From what I've read that seems like it'll be pretty cool if it becomes stable.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RtOaNn said:
Great work Jon, we might have the first Nexus S-only kernel w/o all the uncalled functions etc (crap) inserted by Samsung. Hope you'll be able to optimise the kernel further!
You should see the extent of it too! When I get some more cleaned up today I'll show you guys. There's also plenty of weird spacing used, sometimes there are 5 or so empty lines, where there should be only one or possibly two.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
huareu said:
Any idea why I can't install this kernel on my NS4G? Thanks for the hard work btw
Ah, the updater-script is set to only allow crespo (Nexus S GSM not 4G) to continue with the installation. I will change that and quickly upload the fixed one. Thanks for pointing it out!

For everyone else, I may have a special treat for you later today if my battery testing goes well, and things don't clash.

Edit: All done, use the same links as before, or if you don't want to go to the previous page, here: http://goo-inside.me/kernels/jonathongrigg/Carbon-Core-test-v0.2.zip

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Heads up guys, here's a little treat for you to test out for me. This is an experimental kernel this time, for stability stick to test v0.2 in the first post, I have had no problems with v0.2, but this experimental could have issues. You have been warned, flash at your own risk and make a backup first please.

Let me introduce to you the highly experimental Carbon Core HD. Here you will find
  • a 1080mhz (hence the HD, 1080p is full HD in monitor terms) kernel with
  • a 216 mhz bus/GPU speed (faster than the 200mhz stock, but not as intense as the 220mhz in Trinity TEUV which caused issues for some) and
  • a minor UV (undervolting) across the board to lower voltages 25mV for each (less extreme than both Trinity and Matr1x) plus
  • Ezekeel's Deep Idle mod for enabling another power state to give us longer battery life together with
  • fixed frequency reporting to apps such as SetCPU/No Frills/Built in OC tools as well as
  • cleanup of existing code written by Samsung and Google and
  • all the features you know from Carbon Core test v0.2 like Voodoo sound, lazy governor and plenty of tweaks by _thalamus.
This is experimental for two reasons; first it's using unstable code from Ezekeel for the Deep Idle mod which is still in development and second because I'm testing out whether 1.08ghz is a worthwhile change up from 1ghz just for the increased bus/GPU speed but more importantly does it affect stability.

If this setup does prove to be reasonably stable or useful, I will consider keeping two variants of these kernels, one keeping stock voltages and speeds but using all the other tweaks and code cleanup, and the other essentially being what you see in this experimental version, with some different voltages and speeds from stock.

Download
[HR][/HR]You can get hold of the experimental kernel below, by clicking on the box if you agree.
[hide=I agree that by flashing this, any damage that happens to my device is my own responsibility, and any result caused by the damage such as being late for work is my own responsibility. I have been warned that this is experimental and to perform a backup before installing]
Nexus S and Nexus S 4G:
http://goo-inside.me/kernels/jonathongrigg/experimental/Carbon-Core-EXPERIMENTAL-1.zip[/hide]

Credits
[HR][/HR]
  • Morfic - loads of help regarding voltages and what to change if you wanted to change frequencies
  • _thalamus - the base kernel, plus lots of chat about kernels -> a good guy to talk to, same with Morfic
  • Ezekeel - Deep Idle and bug fixes, plus Lazy governor
  • Supercurio - Voodoo sound

Feedback
[HR][/HR]I am posting this here mainly for some feedback on stability on multiple devices. I have been testing different versions at different stages myself, and this one seems most stable out of all of them. It has sleep of death fixes for the new deep idle mod, which I experienced twice on the version without it. For anyone who tries this, please let me know the following:
  • What phone model do you have - for example I have an i9020T SAMOLED
  • Speed - is it faster or slower than v0.2 in general use (benchmarks I don't really care about)
  • Battery life - let it settle in, fully recharge over night or similar, then see how it compares to v0.2 or _thalamus kernel (if absolutely needed, you can compare it to other kernels but mention that in your results)
  • Freezes (or the lack of) - I found on an earlier kernel without a sleep fix included here that occasionally my phone wouldn't wake up from sleep, or otherwise respond, needing a battery pull. Comment on if you have experienced this during your time using it
  • Governor in use - I suggest you stay on either lazy or the tweaked ondemand (both are just about the same now) and not to use the others, but in case some people do, please include the governor being used
  • Time that the kernel has been in use - there's no point saying "No problems found" if you have only used it for say 10 minutes, only do that if a issue does arrise, otherwise use it for a few hours at least before reporting back.
Other than that, see how the kernel performs and take it for a spin!

I'm sorry if it appears that it is dangerous to flash, it's not really bad or anything, I am just venturing into mostly uncharted territory here with the 1080mhz clock and sometimes exploration can go wrong. That said nothing bad has happened to me at all, so I am fairly confident it will be safe, but the deep idle could be an issue for those who absolutely rely on their phones for alarms in the morning (I don't use alarms myself so I haven't tried it).

·
Android Apprentice
64 Posts
I'm glad to test this experimental one for you. I own a I9023, so european version with SLCD screen, and Carbon CO2 1.1 Rom. After the first boot, phone was reacting well, until i switched off the screen, and then it left in Dead sleep and didn't manage to wake it. So I reboot, and so far it's works normally now, wakes without problem. So i guess it was related to the initial boot...
I'll report back in few hours, or if i have an issue in the mean time.

·
Android Apprentice
63 Posts
I'm gonna flash it right now since I just got a dead sleep with TUV. So if I had to struggle with dead sleeps, at least I'm doing it with a beta testing purpose. :D

P.S.

Couple minutes after reboot the phone freezed. I'll try rebooting again and give it another chance.

EDIT:

It's raining freezes and FCs... Funny is that Google+ is warning me for FCs, but almost every app crash (app drawer as well). I'm going to flash 0.2

I9023 SLCD

·
Android Apprentice
63 Posts
"kptnk said:
@Sticky, are you using Lazy or On demand gov ? Because here, with the Lazy, after the first deep sleep in initial boot, i had no issue at all in 5 hours...
Lazy, but my phone doesn't like to be overclocked or any other mod. I experienced similar issues with the "old" carbon core and trinity TEUV kernels. I found a good stability with TUV (until the deadly sleep this afternoon) and Thalamus which is probably the best solution for me at the moment. Now i'm with carbon 0.2 and seems rock solid.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Sticky said:
Lazy, but my phone doesn't like to be overclocked or any other mod. I experienced similar issues with the "old" carbon core and trinity TEUV kernels. I found a good stability with TUV (until the deadly sleep this afternoon) and Thalamus which is probably the best solution for me at the moment. Now i'm with carbon 0.2 and seems rock solid.
Interesting, so ill definitely need two versions if I decide to keep the HD one. I might send you a private test one a bit later though, its hard to say what's caused it. I'm running this test one myself for nearly 20 hours now and I haven't rebooted once, nor had any FCs (I'm using ondemand) so from that I can't tell.

I may have to put you down as a good tester for this kernel in particular (if that's alright) as your phone seems to be particularly picky, and if I can find a stable but extremely minor OC just for the increased bus speed (it may end up being only something like 1.02ghz with a 204mhz bus which would still be faster if it worked). I will let you know anyway, first I will have to try a few other things for you like removing the UV and removing deep sleep.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.