Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Android Beginner
23 Posts
hi Jonathon, I have a samoled i9020. This is definitely faster than v.02. Battery life is excellent..been running all day since recharge after installing..moderate use, email, net, and phone calls, wifi use updating apps and making calls over wifi..currently down to 88%. I have had 2 FC's...one when i started swype..the android keyboard froze...and the second when i updated viber..this one caused a reboot. Deep sleep working well after an initial reboot. Using lazy at 1080. I know you arent interest in quadrant scores, however ran one only - 2775. Overall very impressed with this..thanks for the work you put into this and other projects

·
Android Apprentice
63 Posts
Jonathon Grigg said:
Interesting, so ill definitely need two versions if I decide to keep the HD one. I might send you a private test one a bit later though, its hard to say what's caused it. I'm running this test one myself for nearly 20 hours now and I haven't rebooted once, nor had any FCs (I'm using ondemand) so from that I can't tell.

I may have to put you down as a good tester for this kernel in particular (if that's alright) as your phone seems to be particularly picky, and if I can find a stable but extremely minor OC just for the increased bus speed (it may end up being only something like 1.02ghz with a 204mhz bus which would still be faster if it worked). I will let you know anyway, first I will have to try a few other things for you like removing the UV and removing deep sleep.

Sent from my Nexus S using RootzWiki Forums
If I'm not wrong the original ( discontinued ) Carbon Core was based on TEUV and I experienced the same issues while I had none with TUV (which run @default bus speed). So I bet is the bus speed that drives my phone crazy. If you need me to test beta kernels, just let me know. :)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
"Sticky said:
If I'm not wrong the original ( discontinued ) Carbon Core was based on TEUV and I experienced the same issues while I had none with TUV (which run @default bus speed). So I bet is the bus speed that drives my phone crazy. If you need me to test beta kernels, just let me know. :)
The original wasn't based off TEUV, it was a Voodoo based one actually. It did have a 1100mhz OC which bumped up the bus speed though. I sent you a PM here anyway with the testing kernel.

·
Android Beginner
23 Posts
Jonathon Grigg said:
That usage seems to be really good for both of you! This is on v0.2 or the experimental one?

This is the experimental kernel......had another reboot..seems viber doesnt like it...and after charging there must have been a reboot as i had to reenter the sim pin

·
Android Apprentice
64 Posts
Jonathon Grigg said:
That usage seems to be really good for both of you! This is on v0.2 or the experimental one?

Experimental one for me too; the battery life is excellent : i went to bed last night with 30% left on airplane mod, and this morning after 9 hours (good night :) ) my battery level showed.....31% !
Yesterday i flashed your last beta Co2 Rom (which is very nice) and reflashed the experimental kernel just after (wipe cach + morfic's dalvic wiper ) and then i had 2 sleep of death within 1 hour, after using the camera.....but no reboot, no freeze or fc.....
But what i could read on Ezekeel' deep sleep thread on xda is that this sleep of death problem hasn't been solved yet.....(why ? I'm too noob to know).

·
Android Apprentice
64 Posts
ok, i'm now absolutly sure : on my phone (i9023), each time i use the camera, when it goes in sleep mod after, i always have a sleep of death...each time. I don't know if it's only my phone, try too guys....(gov On demand)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
"kptnk said:
ok, i'm now absolutly sure : on my phone (i9023), each time i use the camera, when it goes in sleep mod after, i always have a sleep of death...each time. I don't know if it's only my phone, try too guys....(gov On demand)
It seems that most phones are very picky about the deep idle stuff, and for many people it doesn't help at all, in some cases it drains battery more. From general feedback I am finding the experimental kernel to be more unstable for most people, so I will be focusing on the stock frequency test kernel from here on, maybe trying out a few other things down the line.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
"FromAfar said:
Man I'm testing your experimental kernel on my i9023 right now, so far 16 hrs no reboot but had one sleep of death, battery life is incredible. I wonder if you include Ezekeel's touch wake on next release coz I think it's quite useful.
Your rom is awesome too btw. Thanks.
I think you will find that battery life with deep idle depends on what you are actually doing at the time. Low activity tasks with the screen off will usually benefit but for the rest sometimes it doesn't help. For this reason I probably won't be including it anytime soon unless something changes to make it work better on all devices without consequences. We shall see with time anyway.

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Jonathon Grigg said:
It seems that most phones are very picky about the deep idle stuff, and for many people it doesn't help at all, in some cases it drains battery more. From general feedback I am finding the experimental kernel to be more unstable for most people, so I will be focusing on the stock frequency test kernel from here on, maybe trying out a few other things down the line.

Yeah deep idle seems to be not worth the bother for a lot of people - but why abandon the slight ov so quickly? I mean the problems people have with the experimental kernel could all stem from deep idle, couldn't they? Anyway - really getting to like your stuff. - thanks for all the work

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
"gotjazz said:
Yeah deep idle seems to be not worth the bother for a lot of people - but why abandon the slight ov so quickly? I mean the problems people have with the experimental kernel could all stem from deep idle, couldn't they? Anyway - really getting to like your stuff. - thanks for all the work
Its more the deep idle from the experimental version that I'm considering removing. The UV and slight OC could well stay on in another version of the kernel for those who's phones can tolerate it. I didn't want to completely abandon it just yet ;) but the stock frequency kernel will remain because I feel there is a lack of good stock like kernels for our Nexus S.

·
Android Beginner
23 Posts
Checked my camera after previous comments...when screen blacked out, that was it...had to remove battery and reboot..while overall this is fast and smooth with great battery life, i will now checkout your beta 1015. Thanks again for your efforts

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
I just got amazing life from the .2 Kernel included in the 1015 beta, almost 38 hours with moderate usage. I can't remember the last time my phone battery has lasted like that. I don't know if it's the kernel or your default setting to Lazy over OnDemand or what but performance and battery life have both been very solid.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
southpaw930 said:
I just got amazing life from the .2 Kernel included in the 1015 beta, almost 38 hours with moderate usage. I can't remember the last time my phone battery has lasted like that. I don't know if it's the kernel or your default setting to Lazy over OnDemand or what but performance and battery life have both been very solid.
Glad to hear it! I'm testing a bit of a kernel mix right now actually, which is aimed at performance while still being stable. Basically I have put together the new franco.Kernel on top of Carbon Core HD (without deep idle) rather than the CM base he used. It's quite nice, slightly higher Quadrant scores but the rest remains to be seen. Details later.

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
southpaw930 said:
Getting similar results with on demand. I'm really impressed. This kernel uses less battery than teuv for me

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
"RossB said:
Running 1015 with the franco kernel..no problems to date, about 17 hours. No Camera problems or FC's and excellent battery life
I'm running a franco.Kernel mix on top of a test version of carbon for days now and its been solid, not sure if its any better but its definitely stable for me. It doesn't have deep idle mind you.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.