Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Few questions that I cannot figure out just by reading the OP:
1) Does this Kernel have something like Ezekeel's mod for high quality audio processing/output?
2) Can it change to Trinity colors by simply using the Trinity app?
3) Is fsync on or off by default?
4) Does it have a custom RAMDisk or just a standard one?
5) Is it compatible with all types of ROM, including CM type ROMs?

I am a bit noobish so please bear with me, I might have confused some terms. My main concerns are the following: 1) getting the closest I can to audiophile sound quality; 2) keeping the Trinity color scheme without having to figure out how but just by using Trinity's app if possible; 3) safest possible setup in case of sudden crashes; 4) Not having RAMdisk problems when switching from one kernel to another (this is something I remember from Faux's thread, and the reason he had the default kernel to reset the RAMDisk); 5) being able to carry it over to other ROMS if one day I would feel the need to wander...

Thanks for your replies and any other clarification I might not have thought of yet is also welcome : )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Few questions that I cannot figure out just by reading the OP:
1) Does this Kernel have something like Ezekeel's mod for high quality audio processing/output?
2) Can it change to Trinity colors by simply using the Trinity app?
3) Is fsync on or off by default?
4) Does it have a custom RAMDisk or just a standard one?
5) Is it compatible with all types of ROM, including CM type ROMs?

I am a bit noobish so please bear with me, I might have confused some terms. My main concerns are the following: 1) getting the closest I can to audiophile sound quality; 2) keeping the Trinity color scheme without having to figure out how but just by using Trinity's app if possible; 3) safest possible setup in case of sudden crashes; 4) Not having RAMdisk problems when switching from one kernel to another (this is something I remember from Faux's thread, and the reason he had the default kernel to reset the RAMDisk); 5) being able to carry it over to other ROMS if one day I would feel the need to wander...

Thanks for your replies and any other clarification I might not have thought of yet is also welcome : )
1.) The kernel has stock audio, I wasn't aware of any audio mkds but I'll keep that mind mind for r2!
2.) Yes, trinity's colors are not default, but it can be set with the app of your choice.
3.) Yes, it has ezekeels fsync control interface so can be enabled/disabled.
4.) Standard one
5.) Should be compatible with any aosp/cm/aokp ROM.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks. I will give it a shot because I am a fan of the Affinity ROM, but I use my cell phone a lot to listen to music with FLAC files (lossless) and even though I know the GNexus chip is not the best for audio I would like it to sound as good as possible. From what I understand Ezekeel first developed a hack for the GlaDOS kernel that allowed for higher quality sound at the expense of some battery/processing power. That hack I believe was incorporated also in Leankernel, Trinity, and Franco, while Faux gave me the following answer when I asked him if he had anything similar in his kernel:
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]"My kernel has twl (sound peripheral chip) patches which improve the quality but does not have specific controls to force the chip into different modes. I have several users posted about my kernel produce high quality sound compared to stock. So no need to have hacks for it (also less headaches, other kernels were plagued with sound related issues due to those hacks)."[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]So it seems that there are pros and cons to the hack, and more than one way to get to the desired outcome. Please look into this and see if it is something that could be adopted/implemented/improved upon, whatever you feel best with, I look forward to seeing what you decide.[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]On a separate but related note, does this kernel have the Wifi hack that allows for better streaming with the screen off? (again, an issue when streaming music)[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Another request, though I am sure it's already been factored in -- I usually pick my kernels based on how cool the phone can be, even before I look at performance or battery life. I hear this kernel runs pretty cool, please keep it that way if possible : )[/background]

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! We have posted in all Galaxy Nexus forums to redirect the main traffic to the vzw thread for support identified in the OP since this is a unified kernel for all. Be on the lookout for some nice updates to come based on our current feedback :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fast & Smooth & Great Kernel!! Thanks for your hard work.

I have questions.

1. I can't find Screen off max frequency menu in TricksterMOD. (v2.0)

2. sys/module/bcmdhd/parameters/wifi_pm, wifi high performance enable is Y or N?

Sorry for my bad English.

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts
v3.0.50-ZenSERIES v3 Linaro Kernel
Fast, Smooth, Responsive & Battery Friendly
Unified Kernel for Toro/Toroplus/Maguro

Code:
ZenSERIES_v3<br />
- Latest Upstream v3.0.50<br />
- Added back in screenoff_maxfrequency support*<br />
- *Defaults to 576MHz - Should solve wakelocks/wake issues<br />
- Removed rev_penalty even though it's the main feature of VR<br />
- Also removed logic based on choosing request *<br />
- *Depending on head because our phones don't have spinning hard drives.<br />
- Added +10mV to 192/230Mhz frequencies<br />
- Reverted some memory patches that were problematic<br />
- Added "Zen" I/O scheduler.<br />
* Based primarily off of no-op, but also VR. Very similar to SIO.<br />
* Primarily FCFS, dispatches back-inserted, deadlines ensure fairness between requests.<br />
* Synchronous requests chosen over asynchronous ones<br />
* Even simpler than the "Simple I/O scheduler"<br />
* Consider it experimental, as it has only been tested minimally so far.
ZenSERIES v3 Kernel
Main Download

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]It is now with my great pleasure to welcome jjhiza as the newest member of Android Developer Alliance!! He will be assisting as our Official Public Relations on all Team Affairs and future Graphics to come. He has done an outstanding job with thread support thus far and will only continue to be of further help with ADA and our communities.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Please join me in welcoming him aboard.!!![/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Purian23[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Android Developer Alliance[/background]

·
Requiem Dev
605 Posts
I just want to say thank you to everyone, from the ADA team, to all of those posting in the forum threads! You've all really made the ADA experience spectacular, and I look forward to continuing to help out as many people as I can, as well as getting to know some more of the awesome people within the GSM community.

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts

Introducing along with AffinitySERIES ROM
On our Site Forums
XDA & Rootz Forums

v3.0.51-ZenSERIES v4 Kernel
*Breaking Ground*

3.0.51 is the latest Upstream Google Source
Built from 4.7.2 GCC Customized Zen ToolChain

ZenSERIES_v4
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Breaking Ground *Serious Kernel Power*[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Built with a more vanilla crosstool-built gcc 4.7.2 instead of Linaro*[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Should solve affected Chrome users & any remaining boot issues*[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Fixed 384MHz Maximum GPU Frequency[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Updated to v3.0.51[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Adjusted CFLAGS[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Raised default vfs_cache_pressure from 20->30[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Re-added some incidentally removed PM updates[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Lowered fifo_batch to 1 on deadline/SIO/zen/V® as it may be most desirable for flash memory[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Set cpu transition latency back to 30ms[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Slightly increased voltages for 1.4-1.7~GHz frequencies[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Proprotional rate reduction for TCP[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Westwood as default TCP congestion scheduler[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Thalamus' updated target residencies[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Zen I/O scheduler is now default[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- A couple cleanups to Zen I/O[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Adjusted default lowmemorykiller minfree, for min ~80Mb.[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- 2048/3072/6144/15360/17920/20480[/background]

Here is your ZenSERIES Download Link:
ZenSERIES v4 Kernel
Main Support Thread

See OP for further information!
Thank you
Android Developer Alliance

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]

On our Site, XDA & Rootz Forums
v3.0.51-ZenSERIES v5 Kernel
*Breaking Ground*

[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Code:[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]ZenSERIES_v5[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Rebased Entire Kernel - Cleaned up all code in source[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- More sysctl tweaks, min_free_kbytes is now at ~4Mb by default[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Added OndemandX Governor[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Added ZRAM Support[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Fixed OC issues for some users by enabling trim quirks[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Updated lowmemorykiller to latest from ~3.6[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Updated OPP driver to latest from ~3.6[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Adjusted intellidemand default settings to match our ondemand ones[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Some omap DSS fixes[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Reduced android logger ram usage (dorimanx)[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- More accurate nohz load accounting (dorimanx)[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- More tweaks by default[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Dirty_expired_centisecs -> 200, vm_dirty_background_ratio - >[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- 60, sched_nr_latency -> 10, sched_min_granularity ->[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- .4msec, sched_latency -> 3ms[/background]

[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Here are your ZenSERIES Download Link:
ZenSERIES v5 Kernel
MainSupport Thread

Thank you
[/background]

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

v3.0.51-ZenSERIES v7 Kernel
*Ghost Protocol*

One Build Compatible for 4.0/4.1/4.2 ROMS

[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Code:[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]ZenSERIES_v7[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Now should be Compatible with 4.0/4.1/4.2 ROMS[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Merged in latest 4.2 Source tuna+omap updates- Revert to using stock ramdisk for capability[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Pegasusq tweaks, some suggestions from EniGmA1987[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Set CPU_DOWN_FREQ to cpu frequency policy minimum on pegausq[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Set sysctl values via script, overrides anything set by ROMS Ramdisk initially[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- To remove, rm /system/bin/set_zen_sysctl and /system/etc/init.d/99ZenKernel[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- Deep Sleeping was more ROM Related vs Kernel[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]- v7 has worked on our end- Fixed Zram & CPU Sticking[/background]

ZenSERIES v7 Kernel
Main Support Thread

Thank you
[/background]

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts

v3.0.52-ZenSERIES v8 Kernel
*The Wakening*

Two Versions:
ZenSERIES_v8 4.2 Ongoing Support
ZenSERIES_v8 4.0/4.1 Final Version

3.0.52 is the latest Upstream Google Source

Code:
ZenSERIES_v8
- Two Versions
- Final ZenSERIES 4.1 build
- Ongoing support for ZenSERIES 4.2
- Updated Base to 3.0.52 Latest Upstream Google Source
- Fixed deep sleep on 4.2 ROMS
- More core build optimizations
- Updates from the android-3.0 tree
- More conservative default cache_pressure​

ZenSERIES v8 4.2 Kernel
ZenSERIES v8 4.0/41 Final Kernel

Main Support Thread
Enjoy!

Thank you

·
Requiem Dev
605 Posts
I'm spamming all of my Internets with happy Thanksgiving wishes for all of the Zen and Affinity faithful. Have an awesome day, and stay safe guys!

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts

v3.0.53-ZenSERIES v9 Kernel
*Wide Awake*

Two Versions:
ZenSERIES_v8 4.2 Ongoing Support
ZenSERIES_v8 4.0/4.1 Final Version

3.0.53 is the latest Upstream Google Source

Code:
ZenSERIES_v9
- Updated to v3.0.53 Latest Upstream Google Source
- Added in some additional omap-specific fixes
- Pulled in the core block layer from axboe/linux-block.git up to 3.3. Includes the following:
- http://git.kernel.or...ds/for-3.1/core
- http://git.kernel.or...for-3.1/drivers
- http://git.kernel.or...ds/for-3.2/core
- http://git.kernel.or...ds/for-3.3/core
- Updated BFQ to for-3.3 version to reflect it
- SOD issues should now be fixed
- Added FIOPS v2 I/O scheduler
- Added logic to cpufreq_set_policy so it only sets policies with a valid min/max frequency*
- Vs any min/max frequency within the range*
- Adjusted Ondemand/OndemandX/Intellidemand/Pegasusq settings
- Updated wifi drivers to 3.4 ones
- Enabled frontswap and cleancache
- Added script to apply some fstab tweaks to current roms ramdisk (mount with noatime+disable barriers)
- Applied zRam updates
- Added ZRAM_FOR_ANDROID (Optimizes zram for android, adds bits to zram+lowmemorykiller)​

ZenSERIES v9 4.2 Kernel
ZenSERIES v8 4.0/41 Final Kernel
Main Support Thread
Enjoy!

Thank you

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts

Introducing
v3.0.55-ZenSERIES v12 Kernel
*Zeneractive Lives*
Fast, Smooth & Battery Friendly

HTML:
- ZenSERIES_v12
- Updated to v3.0.55
- Rebased the whole kernel tree to clean up
- Updated bcmdhd+ipv4 with some upstream fixes/wakelock related
- Disabled merging on deadline and no-op
- Added in some more TCP congestion schedulers (cubic still default)
- Some misc. updates - More SoD Actions taken
- Replaced interactiveX with "Zeneractive." (documentation: [URL=http://pastebin.com/UrkEke8k)]http://pastebin.com/UrkEke8k)[/URL]
- Interactive-based governor with "live" CPU hot plugging.
- Behavior on Zeneractive with Great Battery:
- If CPU load is <= unplug_load[cpu] for a given CPU for time = unplug_delay, that CPU will be removed (if online)
- If CPU load is > unplug_load[cpu] for a given CPU for time = insert_delay, that CPU will be inserted (if offline)
- Tunables: unplug_load_cpu1 (default: 25%), unplug_load_cpu2 (default: 60%), unplug_load_cpu3
- Zeneractive (default : 75%), unplug_delay (default: 5s), insert_delay (default: 30ms)
ZenSERIES Kernel v12 4.2
ZenSERIES Kernel v12 4.1
Main Download
Enjoy!

Thank you

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Introducing
v3.0.57-ZenSERIES v15 Kernel
*ZenX Walking Tall*
Fast, Smooth & Battery Friendly

HTML:
- ZenSERIES_v15
- Updated to v3.0.57
- Some arm v7 updates
- Multiple interactive governor updates
- Zen I/O scheduler bug fix in add_request
- WiFi bcmdhd: merge in a couple wakelock fixes
- Cleaned up zip template and scripts.
- Replaced 192MHz and 230Mhz with 218.88MHz frequency.
- ZenX v2:
- Complete Rewrite
- Hot(un)plug logic is now determined on the per-CPU timers.
- Hot(un)plug logic performance improvement is substantial over ZenX v1.
- Eliminated racy calling of the hotplug workqueue.
- Support up to 8 CPUs (unplug_load_cpu3 replaced with unplug_load_cpumore, which is for CPUs 3-7)
- Actual cpu_up and cpu_down work is performed in separate workqueues that play mostly dumb (does exactly what the timer tells them to do)
- Removed insert_delay and unplug_delay
- Implemented hot_remove_sampling_periods and hot_add_sampling_periods.
- Now if average CPU load after hot_add_sampling_periods is > unplug_delay_cpu{#} the CPU will be removed. 20 sampling periods should be about a ~400 millisecond delay before adding a CPU.
- Now if average CPU load after hot_remove_sampling_periods is <= unplug_delay_cpu{#} the CPU will be removed. 20 sampling periods should be about a ~400 millisecond delay before removing a CPU.
- Use a longer-term load calculation for hot(un)plugging.
- ZenX will tune certain values on suspend for power savings and revert them on wake (go_hispeed_load, timer_rate, hot_add/remove_sampling_periods).
- ZenX sends a boost pulse on device wakeup (target higher frequency for a short time/80ms default)
ZenSERIES Kernel v15 4.2
ZenSERIES Kernel v15 4.1
Main Download
Enjoy!

Thank you

·
Follow the Android
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank you all for a great time here with ADA and ZenSERIES. It is time for me to move on from ADA to adhere to my real life situations in my jobs and family. I think we've always had an awesome crowd here and I expect to see you guys around in the forums. I might pop out here at some point later doing another area of development or something cool! The ZenSeries Awesome Developer bbedward will be starting new threads for you all to enjoy in the next version of Zen and releases to come :)

Thank you all,

Purian23

21 - 40 of 42 Posts