Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Mod Type:: Kernel

Difficulty:: Very Easy

Mod Status:: Stable

Apply In:: CWM Recovery

Requires Root:: Yes

Source::
This is a minimalistic Thunderbolt kernel based on the official gingerbread kernel source, patched to 2.6.35.14, and then a bunch of lean mods added (look at feature list below).

DOWNLOADS:
1) lean (normal lean version), 1) 184Mhz (184Mhz can be unlocked via st - note for many people 184Mhz is unstable and cause issues, also supports outgoing call recording)

DIRECTIONS
Flash the zip in recovery (DO NOT USE bootmanager). You may need to wipe Dalvik cache and/or delete /data/misc/dhcp, /data/misc/wifi. Run st (speedtweak) after each flash.

speedtweak.sh
This script will allow you to "transform" your kernel into normal, extreme, 1.92, 1.92X and battsaver versions (ie. it allows you to control speed, voltage, and slots to a certain degree). Once you run the script, everything will be self-explanatory. To run the script:
1) Open Terminal Emulator (install it from market if you don't have it).
2) Type "su" (without quotes) and hit enter.
3) Type "speedtweak.sh" (without quotes) and hit enter.
leanKernel kernel speed tweaker
------------------------------_
1) normal: undervolted, overclocked to 1.41Ghz
2) extreme: extremely undervolted, overclocked to 1.41Ghz
3) 1.92: undervolted, overclocked to 1.92Ghz
4) 1.92X: extremely undervolted, overclocked to 1.92Ghz
5) battsaver: extremely undervolted, not overclocked

6) Unlock 184Mhz
7) Lock 184Mhz
8) View current settings

Please type 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8:
speedtweak.sh and SetCPU
The risk of running setcpu is that it can inadvertently override the min and the max that were set by the speedtweak script. (oh it can also override the governor setting but that's not as bad). Other than that it's pretty harmless - it can't mess with the voltage settings. So if you're going to use SetCPU, keep this in mind. One way to make this work is to use SetCPU to configure governor and min/max, and use speedtweak.sh to configure voltage settings. Or just don't use SetCPU.

FEATURES
  1. Includes lots of goodies from kernel source (2.6.36.x & 3.x from kernel.org) newer than stock.
  2. speedtweak.sh script to adjust clock frequencies and voltages.
  3. SVS - manual voltage tweaking via /etc/init.d/01vdd_levels
  4. InteractiveX and ondemandX governors! Added my own suspend code to interactive and ondemand code to make the phone lock at low clock speed when screen is off. No need for sleep setcpu profile anymore.
  5. For 1.92Ghz builds, interactiveX and smartass governors were modified to minimize unnecessary spikes above 1.8Ghz to keep phone stable.
  6. vm, minfree, memory, buffers readahead buffer tweaks
  7. All unnecessary kernel components removed to make kernel lean and fast!
  8. low # (5-10) of cpufreq slots for simple management and less governer transitions.
  9. Undervolted for longer battery life.
  10. SWAP and EXT4 enabled.
  11. Filesystems mounted via EXT4, and tweaked for performance.
  12. init.d enabled in ramdisk
  13. TUN, CIFS, NSIO (netspector) module support
  14. zram (from linux 3.1) module support (to enable, go into Terminal, type su, and then type "zram enable" without quotes). What is zram?
  15. TINY_PREEMPT_RCU
  16. SIO I/O scheduler
  17. Smart fast USB charging (fall back to slow when battery temp is too high)
CHANGELOGS

4.2.0 (10/28/11) - last "stable" kernel based on cm7 source.
5.0.0 (10/29/11) - based on official kernel source from HTC.
5.0.3 (11/1/11) - bluetooth, video playback, scaling frequencies sysfs all fixed. audio levels tweaked. netspector(nsio) module upgraded to 2.0.
5.0.4 (11/13/11) - 5.0.3 with audio levels reverted stock for better compatibility with MIUI (no need to upgrade from 5.0.3)
5.1.0 (11/16/11) - cpufreq and cpuidle updated to linux v3.2rc1, suspend support for LTE, 184mhz version supports in-call recording now (outgoing only).
6.0.0 (2/11/12) - ramdisk, touchscreen and kernel cpu code updated to latest CM7 source. Fast USB charging when batt_temp is not too high. Audio level tweak for handset and headset.
6.1.0 (2/19/12) - ported CM's call recording feature (which was written for older audio driver) to the newer audio driver included in my kernel. LZMA kernel image compression. No need to upgrade if you don't care about call recording.
6.2.0 (5/14/12) - fixed camera/camcorder issues with latest AOSP ROMs (may need to wipe camera data). SIO I/O scheduler.
6.2.1 (5/20/12) - fixed video playback lag.

Donate to your favorite charity, or donate to me.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
re: 3.5.2 more aggressive undervolting for 1.92X -> *cough* perhaps a little too aggressive? just had my first reboot after about 8 minutes... catching some updates in the Market... hadn't had a single one on 3.5.1

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NetworkPIMP said:
re: 3.5.2 more aggressive undervolting for 1.92X -> *cough* perhaps a little too aggressive? just had my first reboot after about 8 minutes... catching some updates in the Market... hadn't had a single one on 3.5.1
hmm which governor are you using? I just realized i didn't test the new VDDs with governors other than iX.

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
imoseyon said:
hmm which governor are you using? I just realized i didn't test the new VDDs with governors other than iX.
InteractiveX - FWIW, I'd just booted after flashing, ran speedtweak.sh... set 1.92X, then set IX, then bail'd out... checked a few emails, went to Market (new), updated 2 apps (Facebook and GasBuddy) and right as the last app was updating, it froze completely, then rebooted.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NetworkPIMP said:
InteractiveX - FWIW, I'd just booted after flashing, ran speedtweak.sh... set 1.92X, then set IX, then bail'd out... checked a few emails, went to Market (new), updated 2 apps (Facebook and GasBuddy) and right as the last app was updating, it froze completely, then rebooted.
ok apparently i set it too aggressively. :p Works fine on my phone. I'd do either 1) use 1.92, 2) set the VDDs manually by modifying /etc/init.d/01vdd_levels, or 3) go back to 3.5.1. Sorry...

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
no no no, apology unnecessary... it feels a bit more stable after the reboot so far, so maybe it just needed to shake itself out... past that, as usual, your kernels + CM7 = closest thing to perfection I've found... THX!!!

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Thanks for the upload dude! I have a huge question, i tried installing this kernel (and another lean kernel) right after flashing Das Bamf. I flashed this with no wipe. When i reboot my das Bamf boot screen goes into bootloop. I am flashing your kernel by = clockwork recovery mode then install from zip. Am I doing anything wrong? thank you.

·
Android Guy
96 Posts
rippthejacker said:
Thanks for the upload dude! I have a huge question, i tried installing this kernel (and another lean kernel) right after flashing Das Bamf. I flashed this with no wipe. When i reboot my das Bamf boot screen goes into bootloop. I am flashing your kernel by = clockwork recovery mode then install from zip. Am I doing anything wrong? thank you.
This kernel is for AOSP roms only, look for Imo's sense kernel (not sure if I've seen it posted on rootzwiki yet).

Sent from my ThunderBolt

·
Android Aficionado
412 Posts
"dickenam said:
is niceee
how much?
His changelog is in the OP (original post):

v3.5.3 (7/19/11) - completed BT backport (there were a few things missing), wifi driver updated to latest broadcom/android via jdkoreclipse (thx).

·
Average Android
327 Posts
3.5.3 running terrific as usual on CM7.

Truly are a kernel chef, and its nice to find your work over here so I don't have to check 'the site that shall remain nameless'.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Junkie
96 Posts
Should I enable swap with this kernel on omfgb? If so, how do I do it?

·
Android Junkie
96 Posts
"Jaxidian said:
I personally say "no" is the best answer to swap with our phone right now. Others disagree, though.
OK thanks. I figured that the phone does good without it.

1 - 20 of 1107 Posts