Android OS Forum banner
241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
85 Posts
Are there still no permanent/sticking workarounds for nandroids? I know there is one that's necessary every time with ADB but I mean something that sticks so I can walk somebody through a restore in recovery over the phone without them being at a computer.
Not yet, that I know of anyway. Some people have had success with the newest fast-charge kernel. I personally haven't tried because I Really don't want to have to odin and re-do everything if restore doesn't work. Here's what I do know:

There was some sort of issue that was triggered by using cifs as the default scheduler during recovery. This caused nandroid backups to freeze on the /data partition. So, the newer Glitch kernels use deadline as their scheduler, which seems to help backups complete. No adb shell messing around necessary.

However, there is another issue (or maybe it's the same one, idk) that is causing the /data partition backups to be corrupt. I don't know if the corruption is happening during backup or during restore, but if you restore a backup taken with Glitch recovery, you're very likely to get stuck in a boot-loop and having to do a data wipe to get out. Consequently, you loose all your user data unless you have it backed up somewhere else.

I have not had a chance to get to the bottom of this, so as far as I know it's still present, though a few people seem to be getting lucky with backups and restores lately. Your mileage may vary significantly.

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
Not yet, that I know of anyway. Some people have had success with the newest fast-charge kernel. I personally haven't tried because I Really don't want to have to odin and re-do everything if restore doesn't work. Here's what I do know:

There was some sort of issue that was triggered by using cifs as the default scheduler during recovery. This caused nandroid backups to freeze on the /data partition. So, the newer Glitch kernels use deadline as their scheduler, which seems to help backups complete. No adb shell messing around necessary.

However, there is another issue (or maybe it's the same one, idk) that is causing the /data partition backups to be corrupt. I don't know if the corruption is happening during backup or during restore, but if you restore a backup taken with Glitch recovery, you're very likely to get stuck in a boot-loop and having to do a data wipe to get out. Consequently, you loose all your user data unless you have it backed up somewhere else.

I have not had a chance to get to the bottom of this, so as far as I know it's still present, though a few people seem to be getting lucky with backups and restores lately. Your mileage may vary significantly.
Thanks for the details. I have a couple Fascinates (new to me) that I'm getting setup (and trying to discover the right balance of radio/rom/kernel) and the nandroid issue is clearly rearing it's head a lot.

Question #1:
If I have a known-good nandroid, will that remaining bug (the second one you mentioned) not matter for restoring this specific backup if I use the recent test releases in this thread (say the fast charge one)?

Question #2:
So from all of this, it seems painfully obvious to me (and keep in mind, I'm very ignorant and new to this Galaxy S platform) that a simple fix would be to boot/flash a different recovery since recovery has an independent kernel. But since this is obvious but not the case, I'm misunderstanding something. Can somebody please correct my understanding? There must be something different here than all other Android devices I've used. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
anyone know why my keys at the bottom are staying lit after I lock the screen? Wasn't doing this before I put beta 6 on my phone today.

That's odd, I turned off glitchassv2 and went back to glitchondemand and it stopped doing it. Really odd.

·
Android Beginner
37 Posts
Awesome, I'll check it out and let you know.

Thanks!
The combination of this kernel and the THS7.1w/sensor fix ROM is working GREAT! In fact, (ultimate testimony) I'm going to flash this combination on my wife's phone this weekend!

Thanks for all your help.

·
Herky Jerky
207 Posts
im confused....where is the newest release of the kernel? Does it work with AOKP 29? Does is have Touch recovery? sorry for all the questions... But this thread is a jumble

·
flashaholic
220 Posts
I believe that the newest build 29 (bigmemtest) has glitch included; steve also indicated that glitch would from now on be included in future builds of AOKP...

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
Does anyone actually have USB host working?
Maybe I'm missing something... Everything gets activated, it'll switch modes no problem, but when I plug in my cable it just says "please wait" and nothing ever happens.

·
TESTER
758 Posts
it didnt work very well with aopk 32 1/2

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK...so I am running AOKP 32.1 and audio out via USB works using a redirecting app from the Play Store. I have read that in order to get speakerphone out through the USB port it has to be built into the kernel. Is this built into Glitch? It would be nice when docked in the car dock to have the speakerphone play through my speakers in my car.

·
TESTER
758 Posts
Glitch kernel is built into AOKP 32.1 is most likely the cause. Says it right in the ROM title.
well that makes more since lol but the recovery in it is blue oh well lol

·
AcidBurn
248 Posts
What Seems to be work good for scheduler and CPU Governor on latest Glitch Kernel? haven't tried anything besides deadline with Glitch on demand. Phone will random reboot or freeze. My phone has been getting hot lately and battery seems to die faster lately. Should i change voltage, governor, or scheduler? Don't know if its Build 8 or my kernel settings.

·
Android Apprentice
85 Posts
well that makes more since lol but the recovery in it is blue oh well lol
Yeah, there are pretty serious unresolved issues with the red Glitch recovery, so we've been bundling the roms with the default CWM-based blue recovery until someone (me) gets off their lazy arse and fixes the red one.

·
TESTER
758 Posts
Yeah, there are pretty serious unresolved issues with the red Glitch recovery, so we've been bundling the roms with the default CWM-based blue recovery until someone (me) gets off their lazy arse and fixes the red one.
lol ok i was just confused

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
its OK, we might have TWRP soon. /teaser

241 - 260 of 265 Posts