Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Developer
7 Posts
APN Fix: The work here was done by cm_acree, I provided testing and reporting, nothing more. Thank him. :D I have noticed one issue testing this build, which could be my fault. Rebooting from the menu to recovery (I have clockwork installed) then rebooting from clockwork back to CM7.1 breaks data. Reboot from the power long-press menu, and it comes right up. But how often do we hit recovery? :D

FOR OTHER DEVS: To fix APN, grab the boot.img and use it's ramdisk in your build. That was the only thing I did to my kernel build to get this result. See the bug report here: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmo...on Model Network Owner Summary Stars Priority

First off, big thanks to Faux123. This is based on his repo with a few tweaks of my own. I'll be adding more as we go on. And of course, he's welcome to pull any patches he likes from my github. Morfic also deserves top billing as of v1.3. I added a lot of tweaks from his code in the latest version.

Changes:

Added zram compressed swap support. I'll attach a script to turn it on and one to see what its status is. It's not like the older ramzswap that requires a special tool, everything is done through sysfs now. Very nice.

Added zcache compressed cache. This is a bigger win IMO, it compresses any compressible data in the cache. This means you can keep much more data in cache, which means you have to read it in from slow flash much less often.

Tweaked the low memory killer to take swap space into account, but only some of it.... This prevents swap thrashing while the system tries to kill processes and free up ram/swap. I also suggest using something like AutoKiller to set the levels to the best performance for your workload. We all run different apps and such, and that can affect how these things work for each user. There is no setup that is going to be perfect for 100% of users. Speaking of AutoKiller, I have found the advanced tweaks to help a fair bit as well. Don't use the memory management one, it overides your settings for things like swappyness. And the IO Scheduler doesn't do anything as we aren't using cfq. Unless you turn on cfq...

On Swap and compression:

While badly configured swap can slow things down, it's far more complex than people think. It also frees up RAM that's not being used frequently for apps that are. So your system can more efficiently use the resources it has. While compression does use some CPU time, our dual core 1Ghz+ CPUs can compress/decompress REALLY fast. Far faster than reading from the flash storage. In theory, this can affect battery life, though I haven't seen any significant issues from it.

Q: But we have 512M, that's a LOT!
A: Well, kind of... Not all of it is accessible to the kernel for running apps. 128M for the GPU, some for the cameras, wifi, etc... In the end, a little less than 400M is available. Then you have to add in system overhead from the kernel itself, Android's OS processes, etc.. That is quite limiting, IMO, so using it more efficiently is important to me.

Q: I don't like compression/swap.
A: Then don't run this kernel. :p

Download (CM7/Trigger) v1.5: http://goo.gl/uax96
Scripts: http://goo.gl/M4SzG

Code:
<br />
Changelog:<br />
<br />
v1.5<br />
<br />
* Possible SOD fix from vork/CM<br />
* Faster SHA-1 from kernel git<br />
* Faster memcpy/memset from kernel git<br />
* Various other patches from the kernel git<br />
<br />
v1.4.1<br />
<br />
* Updated ramdisk for the latest APN fixes<br />
<br />
v1.4<br />
<br />
* Disappearing APN fix from cm_acree<br />
* Misc. little fixes<br />
<br />
v1.3<br />
<br />
* Added morfic's changes to the voltage control code<br />
* Increased voltages <br />
* Added JRCU patch from morfic's repo<br />
* Tweaked various VM options also per morfic's repo<br />
* Made deadline scheduler the default<br />
<br />
v1.2.2<br />
<br />
* Update to work with latest CM nightly builds<br />
<br />
v1.2 <br />
<br />
* Updates from the CM repo<br />
<br />
<br />
v1.1<br />
<br />
* Update various drivers from the LG source drop<br />
* Increase voltages and switch to max 1.5Ghz <br />
* Switch to the CM based battery driver<br />
<br />
<br />

Attachments

·
Android Apprentice
23 Posts
"KinGDaViD63 said:
Hell yeah on the ota flashing now!

Does this have oc?
So question, when Kernel says CM7, does that mean it is ok to use on roms based on CM7 like Eagle Blood 1.08? I am running EB now with Faux .038 but not sure if I am suppose to be doing that.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
A man after my heart! Haha, this is great, thank you so much. I've been a big fan of swap usage since trying it on my nexus one. Ive seen so many people talk swap down as unnecessary or as a sdcard killer whereas in my personal experience swap has always provided me a smooth, trouble free user experience. I often have multiple web pages open at a time throughout the day and like to leave them there to go back to later. Without swap my phone performance would always suffer from this type of usage when trying to multitask, but with swap on it fixes the issue.
Again, thank you for this. You made my day!

Sent from my LG-P999 using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Apprentice
78 Posts
"Billydroid said:
Anyone lose haptic feed back on 2.3.3 based roms w/ dragon?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
Oh wow yes I did also. Just noticed it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using RootzWiki Forums

·
Developer
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jabhome said:
So question, when Kernel says CM7, does that mean it is ok to use on roms based on CM7 like Eagle Blood 1.08? I am running EB now with Faux .038 but not sure if I am suppose to be doing that.
Yes, they should work fine. It's possible that the ROM developers need some change in the ramdisk or something though, so I can't guarantee compatibility in every case. I have tested the CM7 version on CM7, Trigger, and Gigglebread. I have tested the OTA version on Weapon. Please feel free to post any combos that work/don't work for other users to benefit from.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Question: during the apply of this kernel via cwm, I noticed it said converting to ext4. Does this mean I cannot go back to another kernel?

·
Developer
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool1two said:
Question: during the apply of this kernel via cwm, I noticed it said converting to ext4. Does this mean I cannot go back to another kernel?
Not without reformatting system and data. I posted a tool on XDA for doing that without having to restore a full nandroid (which also will format back to ext3).

·
Average Android
229 Posts
Tried it on Miui 10.07.11 and after a few hrs when I tried to use the browser no internet!

·
Developer
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LEGEND said:
Tried it on Miui 10.07.11 and after a few hrs when I tried to use the browser no internet!
No idea. I don't use MIUI and can't really support it as they don't release source.

·
Android Apprentice
50 Posts
I would love to try this kernel but how do I use the script? Can someone list the steps like 1,2,3 for me as I am new to android scripting.

·
Android Beginner
78 Posts
I just open the .sh file with root explorer and it'll execute it for you. Think you have to do it every time you reboot your phone.

·
Android Apprentice
50 Posts
buru898 said:
I just open the .sh file with root explorer and it'll execute it for you. Think you have to do it every time you reboot your phone.
Hey there, thanks for the quick reply. Having to execute it everytime i reboot? thats so stupid. Is there a way to set at boot option?

·
Android Beginner
78 Posts
dave778 said:
Hey there, thanks for the quick reply. Having to execute it everytime i reboot? thats so stupid. Is there a way to set at boot option?
I did look in the market for a "script" something and there's apps that'll do it for you. I did download one... forgot the name... but it had an option to automatically run the script at boot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts