Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Despite not having source code, we can still do a little bit of hackery on the stock kernel that is available. Voodoo Lagfix does not want to work, but I did get ext4 support, so if you can get the partitions to ext4 (via any means) you can use this to speed up some of the I/O. Based on my testing, if you convert to ext4, you get an increase in the quadrant score of anywhere from 2-300. My most noticeable change on ext4 was restoring apps via Titanium Backup, it was much faster. Not much else has been done with this though. I included the sdcard speed tweak, and slightly different low memory killer settings, but that is all. The download is in an Odin flashable image. I didn't make it a CWM zip so that you don't mistakenly over-write recovery with this. Enjoy.

Download - Odin
Download - CWM

Instructions
How to get to ext4 partitions:
1. Flash a Froyo ROM and a voodoo lagfix enabled kernel, convert the partitions to ext4. After that, you will need to get a CWM flashable zip of EP1Q to flash and also flash the new kernel. Also be sure to WIPE DATA before rebooting into the new ROM as Froyo and GB stuff will not be fully compatible and you will almost certainly have problems if you don't. You cannot use the Odin version of EP1Q as it will overwrite the kernel and also reconvert everything back to rfs.
2. The other method would be to use the EXT4 formatter tools that navenedrob created and posted.

·
Developer
1,002 Posts
Later today, I will create a CWM flashable version of GummyCharged GBE 1.9RC1 to allow people to use this kernel

BTW... As always, awesome work IMNUTS!

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Ok, so if I'm on GC 1.9.1 FE w/ 0730 PBJ OTB kernel I can reboot into recovery, wipe data/cache. Then flash the GC GBE 1.9RC1 (When it's ready), THEN wipe data again, then reboot to keep ext4 on GC GBE 1.9RC1? Just want to clarify.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll create a CWM zip version of this then to go with the CWM ROM so you can flash the ROM, then flash the kernel, both in CWM, wipe data and reboot.

Sent from my DROID Charge

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
imnuts said:
I'll create a CWM zip version of this then to go with the CWM ROM so you can flash the ROM, then flash the kernel, both in CWM, wipe data and reboot.

And I need to make sure to do all of this while still on the Froyo GC 1.9.1? I can just flash up to GB? I will certainly try it when the zips come out!

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
KaneD20 said:
And I need to make sure to do all of this while still on the Froyo GC 1.9.1? I can just flash up to GB? I will certainly try it when the zips come out!
Yes you can do it from FE 1.9.1 just wipe data odin kernel then apply GBE .zip in CWM. You can ODIN radios separate if you wish.

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
"hoppermi said:
Yes you can do it from FE 1.9.1 just wipe data odin kernel then apply GBE .zip in CWM. You can ODIN radios separate if you wish.
As far as radios, are the EE4 radios still better?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KaneD20 said:
Most people I've seen have had better LTE speeds with the EP1Q radios, myself included. There is a package posted that is just the EP1Q radios in an Odin package so you can flash them separately.

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
"imnuts said:
Most people I've seen have had better LTE speeds with the EP1Q radios, myself included. There is a package posted that is just the EP1Q radios in an Odin package so you can flash them separately.

I really appreciate all of the advice and support. Thank you.

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
KaneD20 said:
EP1Q radios have cut ping in half and 50% faster download speed, upload is about the same.

Anyone having problems with wifi after installing this kernel or is it just me?

·
Android Apprentice
24 Posts
Alright, so I'm still new to all this, but I'd like to think I learn fast. Having said that...it's time to N00b this thread up a bit. I am currently running GC GBE from the Odin image, the EP1Q leak and the first kernal I loaded which was pbjt w/voodoo. When I switched to the GC GBE I disabled lagfix as I thought I had to. I typed mount in terminal emulator and can see it says rfs for my file system. I'm trying to correctly understand the process for getting the best of all worlds ie. ext4, GC GBE, EP1Q. Would it be most prudent to flash back to stock with an EE4 and pit file, then start over, or is there a smoother way to accomplish this? I hate to ask in this thread, but it seems like others have asked similar, if more coherent, questions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your hard work in making my phone so cool.

Edit: imnuts, I know you gave pretty specific instructions in the OP, but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, and would just love a little hand holding. You wrote about an EXT4 converter, but for the life of me I can't find that thread here or at xda. I'll keep looking.

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Tueyjr said:
Alright, so I'm still new to all this, but I'd like to think I learn fast. Having said that...it's time to N00b this thread up a bit. I am currently running GC GBE from the Odin image, the EP1Q leak and the first kernal I loaded which was pbjt w/voodoo. When I switched to the GC GBE I disabled lagfix as I thought I had to. I typed mount in terminal emulator and can see it says rfs for my file system. I'm trying to correctly understand the process for getting the best of all worlds ie. ext4, GC GBE, EP1Q. Would it be most prudent to flash back to stock with an EE4 and pit file, then start over, or is there a smoother way to accomplish this? I hate to ask in this thread, but it seems like others have asked similar, if more coherent, questions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your hard work in making my phone so cool.

Edit: imnuts, I know you gave pretty specific instructions in the OP, but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, and would just love a little hand holding. You wrote about an EXT4 converter, but for the life of me I can't find that thread here or at xda. I'll keep looking.
From what I've gathered from this thread I'm going to reboot to CWM (as I'm already on GummyCharged 1.9.1 FE). Wipe data/cache and then Odin flash the kernel from the OP in this thread. Then (when kejar creates the zip to flash EP1Q from CWM) flash the EP1Q file. Then when you reboot you should be on GBE EP1Q w/ EXT4. At least, this is what I have gathered from the responses I've gotten from this thread.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Tueyjr said:
There will be instructions (slightly more detailed) posted when CWM versions of the ROMs become available.

·
Android Junkie
35 Posts
So I am on EP1Q and I odined the hacked kernal then flashed naven's ext formatter through cwm. Am I good I think I followed the steps for option 2 correctly but I just want to make sure.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hekdog said:
So I am on EP1Q and I odined the hacked kernal then flashed naven's ext formatter through cwm. Am I good I think I followed the steps for option 2 correctly but I just want to make sure.
You can check to see if /system, /cache, /dbdata, and /data are ext4 with:
Code:
adb shell mount

·
Android Junkie
35 Posts
"imnuts said:
You can check to see if /system, /cache, /dbdata, and /data are ext4 with:
adb shell mount
I am stuck at work right now so I cant run adb but just running mount through terminal emulator I get ext4 on each one but /system. I originally ran naven's file for all, not sure why the system didnt convert but he did seperate the files as well so I will flash the system formatter to see if that does the trick.

·
Android Apprentice
11 Posts
What are the steps..
Run the formatter
Than Odin new gb. Rummy
Than Odin hacked.kernal?

Not sure what order to do stuff. Had ext4 running correct on eliose 1.1 for gb with proper kernal.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts