Android OS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Despite not having source code, we can still do a little bit of hackery on the stock kernel that is available. Voodoo Lagfix does not want to work, but I did get ext4 support, so if you can get the partitions to ext4 (via any means) you can use this to speed up some of the I/O. Based on my testing, if you convert to ext4, you get an increase in the quadrant score of anywhere from 2-300. My most noticeable change on ext4 was restoring apps via Titanium Backup, it was much faster. Not much else has been done with this though. I included the sdcard speed tweak, and slightly different low memory killer settings, but that is all. The download is in an Odin flashable image. I didn't make it a CWM zip so that you don't mistakenly over-write recovery with this. Enjoy.

Download - Odin
Download - CWM

Instructions
How to get to ext4 partitions:
1. Flash a Froyo ROM and a voodoo lagfix enabled kernel, convert the partitions to ext4. After that, you will need to get a CWM flashable zip of EP1Q to flash and also flash the new kernel. Also be sure to WIPE DATA before rebooting into the new ROM as Froyo and GB stuff will not be fully compatible and you will almost certainly have problems if you don't. You cannot use the Odin version of EP1Q as it will overwrite the kernel and also reconvert everything back to rfs.
2. The other method would be to use the EXT4 formatter tools that navenedrob created and posted.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll create a CWM zip version of this then to go with the CWM ROM so you can flash the ROM, then flash the kernel, both in CWM, wipe data and reboot.

Sent from my DROID Charge

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KaneD20 said:
As far as radios, are the EE4 radios still better?
Most people I've seen have had better LTE speeds with the EP1Q radios, myself included. There is a package posted that is just the EP1Q radios in an Odin package so you can flash them separately.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Tueyjr said:
Edit: imnuts, I know you gave pretty specific instructions in the OP, but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, and would just love a little hand holding. You wrote about an EXT4 converter, but for the life of me I can't find that thread here or at xda. I'll keep looking.
There will be instructions (slightly more detailed) posted when CWM versions of the ROMs become available.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hekdog said:
So I am on EP1Q and I odined the hacked kernal then flashed naven's ext formatter through cwm. Am I good I think I followed the steps for option 2 correctly but I just want to make sure.
You can check to see if /system, /cache, /dbdata, and /data are ext4 with:
Code:
adb shell mount

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
RichardZu said:
What are the steps..
Run the formatter
Than Odin new gb. Rummy
Than Odin hacked.kernal?
Run the formatter, flash CWM version of EP1Q and flash the kernel in Odin. Flashing the kernel in Odin is only required if the ROM zip doesn't include it already. Both of the ROMs I posted have it.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Synack said:
This did not work for me...?
What did you download from there? The one package has both Superuser.apk and su in it, and that is where I downloaded it from to put in the kernel.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Synack said:
I already had the Superuser app before this but I did not have Superuser privileges. It was weird.

Then I went to that site and downloaded:
Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.0)
md5: a2844ac335a5c1cfdb9bea2fc041b415
su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

Flashed in CWM, nothing.
I've flashed that before without issue. c0ns0le is right though that the current root issues are all symlink related.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
charliebronson said:
Minor issue which I think is kernel related, since it happened on both stock debloated and gummy. The charge display is not working properly when the phone is turned off and plugged in. It is just displaying the battery with the loading icon in the center, which eventually freezes like that. Otherwise this is working great and loving having EXT4 on gingerbread.
This is kernel related, but I'm not sure how it can be fixed, or if I can fix it. When charging with the phone off, it does a partial boot to display that image/animation. I don't know if it uses the boot or recovery kernel though, or where the images are stored.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.