Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Mod Type:: Kernel

Difficulty:: Very Easy

Mod Status:: Stable

Apply In:: ADB

Requires Root:: Yes

Source::
This is a minimalistic Thunderbolt kernel based on the official gingerbread kernel source, patched to 2.6.35.14, and then a bunch of lean mods added (look at feature list below).

GB SENSE DOWNLOADS:speedtweak.sh
This script will allow you to "transform" your kernel into normal, extreme, 1.92, 1.92X and battsaver versions (ie. it allows you to control speed, voltage, and slots to a certain degree). Once you run the script, everything will be self-explanatory. To run the script:
1) Open Terminal Emulator (install it from market if you don't have it).
2) Type "su" (without quotes) and hit enter.
3) Type "st" (without quotes) and hit enter.
leanKernel kernel speed tweaker
------------------------------_
1) normal: undervolted, overclocked to 1.41Ghz
2) extreme: extremely undervolted, overclocked to 1.41Ghz
3) 1.92: undervolted, overclocked to 1.92Ghz
4) 1.92X: extremely undervolted, overclocked to 1.92Ghz
5) battsaver: extremely undervolted, not overclocked

6) Unlock 184Mhz
7) Lock 184Mhz
8) View current settings

Please type 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8:
speedtweak.sh and SetCPU
The risk of running setcpu is that it can inadvertently override the min and the max that were set by the speedtweak script. (oh it can also override the governor setting but that's not as bad). Other than that it's pretty harmless - it can't mess with the voltage settings. So if you're going to use SetCPU, keep this in mind. One way to make this work is to use SetCPU to configure governor and min/max, and use speedtweak.sh to configure voltage settings. Or just don't use SetCPU. :)

FEATURES
  • Includes lots of goodies from kernel source (2.6.36.x & 3.x from kernel.org) newer than stock.
  • speedtweak.sh script to adjust clock frequencies and voltages.
  • SVS - manual voltage tweaking via /etc/init.d/01vdd_levels
  • InteractiveX and ondemandX governors! Added my own suspend code to interactive and ondemand code to make the phone lock at low clock speed when screen is off. No need for sleep setcpu profile anymore.
  • For 1.92Ghz builds, interactiveX and smartass governors were modified to minimize unnecessary spikes above 1.8Ghz to keep phone stable.
  • vm, minfree, memory, buffers readahead buffer tweaks
  • All unnecessary kernel components removed to make kernel lean and fast!
  • low # (5-10) of cpufreq slots for simple management and less governer transitions.
  • Undervolted for longer battery life.
  • SWAP and EXT4 enabled.
  • Filesystems mounted via EXT4, and tweaked for performance.
  • init.d enabled in ramdisk
  • TUN, CIFS, NSIO (netspector) module support
  • zram (from linux 3.1) module support (to enable, go into Terminal, type su, and then type "zram enable" without quotes). What is zram?
  • Supports Sense 3.0 as well as Sense 3.5.
  • TINY_PREEMPT_RCU patch.
CHANGELOGS
v4.1.3 - last version based on old kernel base.
v5.0.0 - based on official kernel source from HTC.
v5.0.1 - (minor update) scaling_available_frequencies sysfs added, netspector/nsio module updated to 2.0.
v5.1.0 - cpufreq and cpuidle updated to linux v3.2rc1, suspend support for LTE, 184mhz version supports in-call recording now (outgoing only until i have some more time to fix incoming).
v5.2.0 - Fast USB charging (if batt temp is not too high), call recording feature ported from CM. LZMA kernel image compression.

v6.0.0 - 5.1.0 kernel code hacked to boot on 2.3.6 ROMs ("mr4 leaked"). This version will not work on stock or ROMs not based on 2.3.6 mr4 leak.
v6.1.0 - Fast USB charging (if batt temp is not too high), call recording feature ported from CM. LZMA kernel image compression.
v6.2.0 - Fixed camcorder for 3.7.19 Roms. Added SIO as default IO scheduler. (Probably not compatible with older ROMs)
v6.2.0dev13 - Fixed camcorder again.

DIRECTIONS
Uh.... flash the zip in clockworkmod. You may need to wipe Dalvik cache and/or delete /data/misc/dhcp, /data/misc/wifi.

Donate to your favorite charity, or donate to me.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
GOVERNORS
First, my take on the governors that are out there: http://forum.xda-dev...8&postcount=617
I offer three governors: interactiveX, ondemandX, and smartass. What are they?
  • interactiveX - it's the interactive governor from CM, but I added suspend/wake logic so when the phone screen is off it runs at 246Mhz (but has the ability to go up to 384Mhz). Also, I modified its code some more to minimize unnecessary cpu spikes above 1.8Ghz if you happen to be running one of my 1.92 kernels. Most tbolts are unstable above 1.8Ghz, and it's the quick jump above 1.8Ghz that usually locks up the phone. It will hit 1.92Ghz only when it makes sense (ie. sustained high load). This is my favorite governor - perfect combination of speed and power efficiency.
  • ondemandX - ondemand governor code from latest linux source *plus* the suspend/wake logic described above, except it has the ability to ramp to 369Mhz while screen is off. No additional code was added for stabilizing above 1.8Ghz.
  • smartass - smartass code from erasmux, but I wasn't happy with its performance so I tuned it for quicker ramp up in speed. It has the same suspend/wake logic as ondemandX, and the same >1.8Ghz stabilizing mod as interactiveX.
Source code
https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-tbolt-gingerbread/tree/gbs

·
Retired
259 Posts
Loading this one up on the new Das BAMF 3.0 RC 2

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
Agt Studly said:
whats the best governor for battery life?
I find smartass to work really well...and interactiveX should work exceptionally well, too because it does the same thing that smartass does (by locking at lowest clockspeed while phone is asleep)while still maintaining the same features of a normal interactive gov.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
Hey imo, I don't really understand what the Limited and Slow are about on the kernel. Wasn't the "limited" setting the cause of the slow charging?

·
Ninja Flasher
126 Posts
IMO glad to see you here. Kudoos on the Developer status. Truely deserved. Appreciate all the work you do. Your an asset to the community.

Sent from my Gingerbread BAMF phone.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jdkoreclipse said:
I find smartass to work really well...and interactiveX should work exceptionally well, too because it does the same thing that smartass does (by locking at lowest clockspeed while phone is asleep)while still maintaining the same features of a normal interactive gov.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
Yup, interactiveX, smartass and ondemandX all lock at 384Mhz and then settles at 256Mhz. All three governors were heavily modded by me.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mamoru16 said:
Hey imo, I don't really understand what the Limited and Slow are about on the kernel. Wasn't the "limited" setting the cause of the slow charging?
LIMITED = trickle charge

GB Sense leak seems to have a (possible) bug where it triggers LIMITED charge when you're on a call, and then does not go back to the previous charge setting when the call ends. Initially I just bypassed/ignored LIMITED all together, but 3.3.4 is a bit smarter - it switches to SLOW when it receives request for LIMITED.

·
Shut up and wipe
529 Posts
lilcdroid said:
IMO glad to see you here. Kudoos on the Developer status. Truely deserved. Appreciate all the work you do. Your an asset to the community.

Sent from my Gingerbread BAMF phone.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

sent from my thund3rbolt using tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
17 Posts
Glad to see you here. You need to slow down, i cant keep up. Great job on the latest releases.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Retired
259 Posts
Is there any chance that the kernel can cause screen lock? My screen becomes unresponsive while on charge after being woken. Sometimes I have to pull battery other times I can use the power button several times and it will become responsive. I have no idea what is causing this ...

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
explamphibian said:
Is there any chance that the kernel can cause screen lock? My screen becomes unresponsive while on charge after being woken. Sometimes I have to pull battery other times I can use the power button several times and it will become responsive. I have no idea what is causing this ...
Are you using any of the preset modes via speed tweak, or undervolting manually? Which governor?

sent from my phone

·
Retired
259 Posts
imoseyon said:
Are you using any of the preset modes via speed tweak, or undervolting manually? Which governor?

sent from my phone
Interactive X governor in normal mode via speedtweak.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
explamphibian said:
Interactive X governor in normal mode via speedtweak.
Darn. Ok. Reinstall kernel ( don't change mode) and see if it happens again?

sent from my phone

·
Retired
259 Posts
Wiped Dalvik and reinstalled, will let you know what happens. Thanks

·
Retired
259 Posts
Ok 2 lockups today, had to puii batt both times. I believe it could be a widget locker issue. I have frozen widget locker and going to update to rc3 on BAMF. Well see how that works.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GTvert90 said:
Dumb question probably.. I'm gonna load cm7.. which one do i want? 1,2,3? lean,184 test,stock?
This thread is for GB sense kernel. I do have a thread for cm7 on the other forum...

explamphibian said:
Ok 2 lockups today, had to puii batt both times. I believe it could be a widget locker issue. I have frozen widget locker and going to update to rc3 on BAMF. Well see how that works.

Let me know how that goes. I've had bad experiences with widget locker myself.

1 - 20 of 1030 Posts