Android OS Forum banner
561 - 580 of 611 Posts

·
Tahn...Tahn..Tahn..Ni..Na..Na..Na..Na..
2,224 Posts
Cm7 is a different animal altogether. Back in the cm7 Glitch kernel days,my phone was always OC'd between 1300 and 1440 with excellent results minus battery life. On ics, even a slight OC doesn't play nicely anymore. I know you're UV, but maybe your phone spazzes cuz it doesn't like it apparently. Two different platforms, two different results, IMO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jul-22 cm9 nightly.

@doug
That would be weird, undervolt is influenced just by the quality of the components (the signal can be transmitted with a lower current in higer quality components), in this case we are going from a full [email protected] to... 0mV (not even 50).
Back in PC world, you can use the same settings on the same hardware, regardless of Windows XP, 7x64, Linux...
I'm confident that it's a sw issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Vibrant using Tapatalk 2

·
like a tree down by the water baby i shall not mov
1,139 Posts
Doug is right on track man. I could not UV stably with Froyo or GB, but I can with ICS.

Try going in baby steps, until you hit the point that causes a freeze.

My own for ICS are as follows:

1000: -25
800: -50
400: -50

Thats safe and stable for me. Don't think like a PC, rather, pretend this is the first time, and go in baby steps to find what is stable for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep you guys updated. 100mhz can't be undervolted *at all* (God knows why), but it seems that 200mhz (-25mV) didn't cause any freeze.
Weird behavior, by the way. I guess its related to how 3.x kernel handles voltage regulation compared to 2.6.x.

P.S
I guess I'd better change ARM (CPU) voltage only and leave INTernal voltage untouched, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
1,139 Posts
I only ever do the ARM voltages, and its been my experience as well that undervolting 100mhz can cause freezes and wake issues.

Edit - Not saying thats the absolute right way to go, our hardware differences are far and wide as we have come to realize, but this is what works for my device.

Sent from the ICZen Experience

·
Kickin it with the ZenMafia Family...
352 Posts
Doug is right on track man. I could not UV stably with Froyo or GB, but I can with ICS.

Try going in baby steps, until you hit the point that causes a freeze.

My own for ICS are as follows:

1000: -25
800: -50
400: -50

Thats safe and stable for me. Don't think like a PC, rather, pretend this is the first time, and go in baby steps to find what is stable for you.
Then there's my phone which hasn't tolerated ANY OV/UV on either GB or ICS. It seems to handle OC pretty well within reason but occasionally locks up/reboots itself. I'm currently doing well with LiveOC at 105 which gives it just a little more zip but at the expense of a little battery.

·
Android Beginner
65 Posts
MP SubZero #159 won't even initialize GPS(GPS Icon doesn't even show up) on the latest CM9 0724 nightly because of the new GPS shim added. GPS worked fine on CM9 0723 and earlier. Do you think you could make a new SZ build with working GPS on CM9 0724? I haven't tested the CM9 0724 with stock kernel to see if GPS works.

·
1,139 Posts
MP SubZero #159 won't even initialize GPS(GPS Icon doesn't even show up) on the latest CM9 0724 nightly. GPS worked fine on CM9 0723. Do you think you could make a new SZ build with working GPS on CM9 0724?
I'd like to see independent verification of those results, in other words, is it happening to more than just you, and what are the GPS results with the stock CM kernel?

Honestly though, it sounds like a difference or problem in the CM build, as thats what changed, not the kernel.

Can you provide what changed in the CM build that would cause the GPS issue? I would track that down, or see how the next nightly acts.

MP does post his github, so you can tweak and compile a working version of subZero to patch what's not working when builds change like that.

Sent from the ICZen Experience

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
The last CM9 nightly change shows a GPS shim being added and I have a feeling that is what is causing the no GPS issue with SZ and Devil kernels. Doug I have never relied on GPS on the Vibrant and it is a bonus when it ever worked.
I think FE started using the Froyo lib and binary, which may have changed ramdisk requirements. I haven't had any time to try it.

I've been trying to update to cwm6, but backup/restore of /data is broken. Otherwise, I made lots of progress with it.

MP

Unleashed with SGS3 madness...

EDIT: I installed CM9 0724 and could not get GPS to work with the stock kernel, either. Logcat shows it can't find a library or function in a library. Also, it was missing /etc/gps.conf. So, these are issues that FE needs to work out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know what is the biggest myth in this device , GPS..... As a seasoned Vib pro, GPS doesn't work period. Yes,Yes , everybody has a magical response towards this, more mystical power towards them
Bluetooth GPS is (sadly) the way to go.

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
FYI. I soved the issue with CWM v6 not being able to backup/restore /data. I was missing the dedupe symlink. Okay. Now that CWM v6 is done, I can get on with other fixes and enhancements, as time permits.

MP

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 ·
I'm wondering if I should re-base the kernel onto Cyanogenmod v3.0.x kernel. subZero is currently one of the last kernels using the now End-of-life v3.1.x kernel. Linux 3.0 is still being supported. Even DerTeufel re-based Devil to v3.0.

Doing so would probably speed up getting a usable kernel for Jelly Bean and ICS. I would need to port all my added kernel tweaks/features, though.

Basically, my options are to just continue doing minor tweaks to subZero, or rebase to v3.0 or v3.2. Version 3.2 would be much harder, since nobody's really using a 3.2 kernel on Samsung phones.

Or maybe I could just start a new v3.0 kernel, and leave subZero the way it is.

Hmm...

MP

Reactions: ndwgs
561 - 580 of 611 Posts