Android OS Forum banner
581 - 600 of 611 Posts

·
Android Beginner
65 Posts
MP if I were you I would change kernel base to a quick and stable 3.0 base with all the SZ tweaks. If you are able to make it work properly on all Vibrants by delaying the startup of Froyo RIL just like you did with SZ #159 it would be the best kernel out there for ICS/JB. Derteufel still can't get his Devil kernel working with the delayed Froyo RIL on both ICS/JB. The original Galaxy S RIL works fine though. Unfortunately I have a Vibrant that is picky with getting baseband with Froyo RIL and ICS/JB. Please continue to make Voodoo Color version for the best PQ. Thanks MP for bringing us SubZero!

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
MP if I were you I would change kernel base to a quick and stable 3.0 base with all the SZ tweaks. If you are able to make it work properly on all Vibrants by delaying the startup of Froyo RIL just like you did with SZ #159 it would be the best kernel out there for ICS/JB. Derteufel still can't get his Devil kernel working with the delayed Froyo RIL on both ICS/JB. The original Galaxy S RIL works fine though. Unfortunately I have a Vibrant that is picky with getting baseband with Froyo RIL and ICS/JB. Please continue to make Voodoo Color version for the best PQ. Thanks MP for bringing us SubZero!
I'd have to cook two kernels for ICS and JB respectively. In order to support the CM10 standard of no /datadata, I have to use Pawitp's kernel updates that remove /datadata support from the kernel itself. Plus there's the ramdisk differences.

I'm mostly leaning towards a rebase, then carefully merging/cherry-picking what I want from the 3.1.10 subZero. Not sure how long this will take, though. And I'm not sure if I'll just ride on 3.0.31 like stock kernel, or jump to 3.0.36 (or higher) like Devil or other Samsung kernels. 3.0.38 is available, but I think only Faux123 is using it for his SGS3 kernel.

Well, whatever I do, it's gonna take me a while.

MP

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
Some updates on subZero kernel...

First the good news. I just uploaded v1.6 Build 166 with CWM Recovery v6.0.1.0. It only has some small fixes. As for the single-button earphones included with the Vibrant, I couldn't duplicate the issue that MIUI v4 has. And the source looked the same as other kernels that had properly functioning earphone button(s).

And finally, you can't have good news without some bad news. I simply don't have the time or energy to continue updating this kernel in a reasonable amount of time. It is impossible to keep up with development and updates without sacrificing a lot of personal time. As such, I have some personal/family issues that require my attention, and between the two, I have to sacrifice my love of Android development.

I really wish I could have created a Jelly Bean version of subZero kernel. I also wanted to rebase the ICS version to Cyanogenmod 3.0.31, but alas, I simply can't find the time.

Sadly, this will most-likely be the final release of the subZero kernel as development by me is being ceased indefinitely for the reason above. For those requiring or wanting fast, timely support and/or development, I strongly encourage you to check-out DerTeufel's excellent Devil Kernels.

I would like to thank all of the users, developers, and testers that helped me out with subZero kernel. Without YOUR help and feedback, this kernel would not have been nearly as successful or special. Maybe in time, I might jump back into Android development, but for now, I need the down-time to focus on family.

Now that I have my SGS3, I'll probably be happy to use it just the way it is (stock + root). Samsung finally has an all-around great phone that I cannot really find any faults with. I should be satisfied with stock through ICS 4.0.4 and Jelly Bean 4.1.1. After that, who knows.

I wish the best of luck to all the other kernel and ROM developers out there. You folks are doing some magical things with a great little phone that Samsung gave up on.

End of line.

Mr Psycho

·
Kickin it with the ZenMafia Family...
352 Posts
Ditto what B said dude. Family is always first. Thanks for your work and contributions to keeping the Vibe alive.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

·
Android Beginner
65 Posts
MP I'm really gonna miss you and your SZ kernels. You definitely have to keep family time #1. Enjoy your time away from development and who knows we might see you back again dipping in to the Galaxy S3 kernel development. It was also fun trying to get GPS working and in the end it actually works pretty good. Devil kernel is definitely the best JB kernel, but I will have to give the edge to SubZero on ICS!

·
MMM DD Bacon
1,212 Posts
The fact that you made the time to develop,update and tweak the SZ kernels the way you did is outstanding. Your work is and always will be greatly appreciated.
Best to you and your family.

Sent from my nasty quick vibe fueled by Subzero

·
BOOM ... shaga laga
1,588 Posts
... End of line.
Mr Psycho
MP ...

It's been an absolute pleasure experiencing your kernels through their evolution. To a man, you are the classiest of them all. :D

Regardless of user experience or awareness level, you've always conducted yourself in a very consistent manner helping any & all comers (in all corners of the Vibrant dev world).

A rather belated & heartfelt thanks is gratefully owed to you for the time you've invested in improving our Vibes. As much as I'll miss SZ kernels, I only wish you the best in your personal & family endeavors.

Always Master_P in my book. :D

·
"A n00b in need deserves help, indeed!&qu
309 Posts
Thank you MP, for all that you've done. You've been a great developer and more importantly a down-to-earth, helpful, and funny guy. You'll always be a hero in my eyes...

...Take care man.

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
I'll still be popping in and out to see what's going on. I probably just won't have time actively develop in my spare time. Who knows what the future will bring. Thanks everyone.

MP

·
BOOM ... shaga laga
1,588 Posts
I've gotten so used to subZero kernel's capacitive button assignments in recovery, I almost ended up wiping data after flashing a devil JB kernel ... while simply trying to flash gapps!! This will take some getting used to.

After flashing back to Zen / SZ, man it was a breath of fresh air (relief actually) to navigate around recovery SZ style. The tight lcd density & font sizes and esp. the capacitive touch button mapping!! Lol.

MP = DD Hero, MVP, ... TNT SuperFly!! :D

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #600 ·
Sorry folks. While fooling around flashing Jelly Bean on my Vibrant, I found a bug in my CWM Recovery v6 on Build 166. The key repeat does not work IF the phone is rebooted into recovery AND the phone has been completely wiped (ie. data wipe plus format of /system). The reason is that I forgot to put in the necessary cwm key-repeat lines in default.prop in the CWM recovery ramdisk. Note, as long as there is a ROM installed that has these lines in build.prop, however, the key-repeat works. Any recent CM9 or CM10 ROM, for example.

When I have some time, I will make a new version (build 167) that has this issue fixed, and that may well be the last ICS subZero kernel for quite a while.

MP

581 - 600 of 611 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.