1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
Credit: Adreilux. gokhanmoral, kejar, Dagr8, sonicxml, Cyanogenmod, cmenard

Team liquid Presents, the jdkernel!

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]2/12/13 11:04 EST: UPDATED TO v1.1[/background]

Modus Operandi:

The jdkernel, having been around on many other devices, most notably the Evo 3D, Droid Incredible, Galaxy Nexus (as PopcornKernel), and Thunderbolt, has finally come to the Note 2. For those of you who aren't familiar with my kernel, the aim is for this kernel to have all the features you want with all the real world performance you deserve. This kernel is not about benchmarks (i don't believe in them), but about battery life and real world performance. So, without further ado, i give you the features of this kernel.

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Features:[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Based off of Cm kernel[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]SLQB slab allocator [/background]
Custom Governors (Gallimaufry, Aggrssive, Modded PegasusQ) (credit me and sonicxml)
Overclock (credit: adreilux, cmenard)
Undervolt interface (credit: adreilux)
Voodoo Sound (credit: adreilux, gokhanmoral)
Raised charging current to 950 (jdkoreclipse)
Compiled with Linaro 4.7.3 toolchain (credit: linaro, jdkoreclipse, kejar, dagr8)
Compiled with -Ofast optimization (credit: jdkoreclipse)
Compiled with Optimized Cflags, including -pipe, ffast-math, neon and cortex opts (credit: jdkoreclipse)
Max Readahead buffer bumped to 1024 (credit: jdkoreclipse)
Other optimizations, such as swap tweaks, scheduler tweaks, vm ratio tweaks, vfs cache pressure tweaks
ROW Iosched (Tanya Brokhman)

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]This works for all AOSP 4.2 roms (except for Carbon b/c their rom uses different graphics blobs, which required kernel hacks specific to their rom)![/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Changelog:[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]v1.1: Enabled swap, added slqb, compiled with -Ofast insted of O3[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]v1: Initial release[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Download: [/background]http://d-h.st/AJE
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Source: [/background]https://github.com/L...amsung_smdk4412

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
FAQ:

Q: What are the gallimaufry and aggressive governors?
A: The gallimaufry governor is a backported version of the Linux 3.2 ondemand governor with a two phase algo and was rewritten to be more streamlined and aggressive in performance and battery savings. The aggressive governor has the same idea behind it, but it is based off of the conservative governor.

Q: What is Linaro?
A: Linaro is a tool chain used to compile kernels. In addition to being updated to GCC v4.7.3, it offers numerous optimizations in the way it compiles code. It is superior to many other tool chains.

Q: What is Ofast?
A: In very simplistic terms, Ofast is an optimization flag in a kernel. This means that this flag tells the tool chain to enable certain options when compiling. In my opinion, Ofast is the most superior, so I use it in my kernels.

Q: Why don't you include X, Y, or Z feature?
A: While I love feature requests as much as the next guy, I am going to ask that you refrain from requesting features until this kernel moves forward a little. For now, I will determine what features are popular and I will include said features in my kernel, as well as original features that I think will be intuitive in this kernel.c

Q: Something has went wrong and your kernel doesn't work...Help!
A: When submitting a bug report, please give a detailed description of the bug in question, as well as the appropriate logs to go with it (dmesg). If you don't know how to pull said log, then please feel free to do some research on how to do so.

Q: How can we contact you for any reason?
A: Through Rootz private message, Twitter @Jdkoreclipse, [email protected], or in the team liquid IRC.

Q: I would like to donate to you. How can I do so?
A: Just donate to Team Liquid

·
Android Addict
1,497 Posts
Just wanted to say welcome back JD, been using your kernels since the Thunderbolt and also on the GNex.

Using your new kernel as we speak, so far so good. It booted fine on latest CM10.1 nightly.

Just finished running an Antutu benchmark and was able to get a pretty decent 18.5. Not that that matters but I like seeing an improvement with new kernels.

Well JD just did the test again, and low and behold I was able to get a 19.5 without any special tweaks other than setting the CPU to 1.9. I was able to surpass the LG Optimus G to have the top device of the land! Lol, you go man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad I found this for the Note 2. I ran your work on my T-Bolt. Undervolted and underclocked battery is awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Problem Solver
319 Posts
Tried this on the most recent PA for the Note 2 and bootlooped. From the logcat I'm guessing (key emphasis on guessing) that they share the same graphics blob issue as Carbon ROM. Logcat below if anyone wants to confirm my guess.

http://pastebin.com/hg92G6gy

EDIT: Pretty sure I figured it out. I was coming from BasicKernel which uses some commits regarding Mali (hence the Mali error in logcat, duh) and includes some extra libs in the kernel zip. Reflashed ROM, then jdkernel, success!

·
Droid Journeyman
274 Posts
Working on rootbox but the voodoo app says it's not a compatible kernel. I thought this had voodoo enabled.

·
Problem Solver
319 Posts
Noticed some updates on your github and was wondering if we would see an updated version of this great kernel?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noticed some updates on your github and was wondering if we would see an updated version of this great kernel?

Dag and I have been updating the kernel for a while, even going as far as changing the name. To be quite honest, Ive been slacking off as far as posting releases goes. So I'll probably post v1.8 tomorrow

·
Android Apprentice
85 Posts
Dag and I have been updating the kernel for a while, even going as far as changing the name. To be quite honest, Ive been slacking off as far as posting releases goes. So I'll probably post v1.8 tomorrow

Update would be nice, possibly to be compatible with Carbon ROM?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using RootzWiki

·
flashaholic
220 Posts
I dunno 123sit, I've tried a couple times and I get hung up at initial boot screen... What exactly are you using and in what steps?

·
Problem Solver
319 Posts
I dunno 123sit, I've tried a couple times and I get hung up at initial boot screen... What exactly are you using and in what steps?
I'm using newest PA, it must be something with the rom your using. If that's the case I'm not really too confident that if this thread gets updated it will work for you.

·
flashaholic
220 Posts
Yea I was on cm 10.1 but flashed pa and the kernel here and all is well...

·
Carbon / Miui.us Developer
690 Posts
id love to see you make a touchwiz version

1 - 17 of 17 Posts