Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
DOWNLOAD

• Tweaked Power HALs: here (flash in CWM)
  • 1.5Ghz version: if you want to OC to 1.5Ghz.
  • Nofreq version: it will not manipulate your max frequency at all.
  • Stock version: if you want to stay at 1.3Ghz max.

FEATURES

• Unnecessary kernel components removed to make kernel lean and fast!
  • OC'ed to 1.5Ghz. At boot cpu slots are limited between 204mhz and 1.3Ghz for stability. Use your favorite app to OC or UC.
  • Ramdisk tweaks (sysctl, vm, etc.)
  • init.d support
  • Tons of patches backported from Linux 3.2.
  • SWAP and ZRAM supported. Use built-in script: "zram enable" or "zram disable"
  • ROW and tuned Deadline i/o schedulers
  • Compiled using latest linaro toolchain and optimizations.
  • USB Audio support
  • USB charging high current mode enabled at all times
  • Memory compaction and KSM enabled
  • "lkflash" script to flash latest leanKernel releases. (Open Terminal, su, and then type lkflash).

FAQ

CHANGELOG
UP-TO-DATE CHANGELOG HERE: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-grouper/wiki/Lollipop-ChangeLog

SPECIAL THANKS
Jubakaba, milan and gang for buying the nexus 7 and donating it to me

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Does this work on 4.1.1 based ROMs? I just flashed on BAMF Paradigm and it froze half way into the boot. They haven't updated to 4.1.2 base yet.
Hmm alpha and beta builds were only tested on 4.1.2 so it's very possible that they don't boot on 4.1.1 ROMs.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was wondering the same thing for AndroidForums :)

Tap'd from my Nexus 7
Yes but by taking on this responsibility you're saying you'll be using my kernel consistently and that you will be keeping the threads up to date. If you're ok with that go for it. PM me with the thread URLs afterwards. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Great kernel. No sods since I started using. Quick question. Why has none of the nexus 7 kernel devs implemented a fast usb charge? I know most of the phone kernels have it, but none of the nexus 7, that I known of do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I haven't looked at it yet actually. Does it charge very very slowly via USB?

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Best kernel I've tried. Wasn't looking for major OCs. Just a kernel that is cleaned up and tweaked a bit for Batt/Perf to run on top of stock ROM.

Other kernels (except for Trinity) all had various glitches, just enough to remind me I was running a kernel. With this kernel I don't think about it. I love the it just works stuff.

I'm a little confused about the OC. The OP says it's OC'ed to 1.5 but you need to use a tweak tool to set it. Does that mean it's limited to 1.5? Or that it is tweaked, voltages etc. For that does? I've never been one much for OC/UV, but I want to understand in case I want to experiment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using RootzWiki
Kernel itself allows frequencies between 51mhz and 1.5ghz. At boot I set the min to 204mhz and max to 1.3ghz in ramdisk. You can override both min and max using apps like setcpu, system tuner, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
v0.3 10/28/12 (b37e98a3c2ced50dfc84a6e8ecce8132) - High current mode enabled for USB charger. Workqueue code backported from mainline linux. Leaner.

Based on my testing USB charging is 50-100% faster but still not as fast as AC. Your mileage may vary.

alezardstar, GPU OC not supported yet.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
What are you using to enable/toggle fast charge? The toggle in AOKP JB M1 for Fast Charge doesn't seem to work and I don't see an option for Fast Charge under AOKP Rom Control Performance Options.
No on grouper, I've done this in a completely different way. High current charging via USB is enabled at all times. I think the jury is still out on how effective this method is.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Interesting, I am going to set up a rig to test it out. Does the nexus 7 have the hardware to report accurate ma draw in battery monitor widget. I remember the thunderbolt did, the gnex didn't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
That definitely crossed my mind. But the fact that the app showed consistently different numbers more or less convinced it for me.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Hmm I'm still on stock ROM and I've yet to see a single SOD or lockups on my kernel. Is it possible that the custom ROMs may be the cause of at least some of these issues?

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
0.5 is up.

http://revision.io/embeds/leanKernel-grouper

Keep in mind that this kernel is still beta - I'm still working on modernizing the code base. Grouper stock kernel is based on Linux 3.1 which doesn't get regular updates from mainstream Linux. So I'm backporting stuff from Linux 3.2 which received updates just a few days ago.

Also, I see that Google released 4.2 kernel source. 0.6 should have at least some of the bits from it.

Oh, tweaked powerHAL binaries are also available on OP. Be sure to flash the 1.5ghz version if you want to OC.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Only issue now with the patched powerhal is max freq to 1.5 regardless.

Sent from my Nexus 7
That is true. I think you have the same problem on stock if you want to go lower than 1.3/1.2ghz. For now I think the best thing is to flash the stock powerhal if you want to go lower.

I've now implemented powerHAL tweaks three different ways between gnex, s3 and n7. I don't particularly like any of the methods I used. I'll see if there's a better way...

1 - 20 of 103 Posts