Android OS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Android Beginner
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shouldve phrased the question differently, and maybe I'm confused. the kernel that comes with AOKP has the work "palm" in it, I just figured that was the stock kernel that came with the TP, I thought cm7 used the same kernel.

in my head i was thinking that if the stock kernel was used, that we could flash other kernels in webos, but i guess that doesnt make sense now that i think about it

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
What you're asking is like asking "does updating the kernel on my Linux partition of my PC make my windows partition run faster or change windows at all?"

Now, does that make any sense?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
just curious if anyone has tried different kernels in webos and if it makes a difference on the android side? running AOKP.

thanks
dan
Guess I'm gonna pee in the wind on this one a little. Using different kernals in WebOS should not affect CM, however, it has been posted previously that folks were overclocking WebOS using Uberkernal or Warthog and were having strange problems in Android. In the process of troubleshooting they deleted and reverted back to the stock kernel and their problems went away. I would avoid overclocking WebOS just on the chance that it may cause issues in Android. Why would you want to overclock WebOS when your main focus is getting Android running flawlessly. Also, the latest updates to WebOS along with a lot of the tweaks from the Preware community fixed virtually all the issues dogging WebOS making overclocking not really necessary. My WebOS runs really smoothly with just the stock kernel.

·
Android Beginner
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
appreciate the replies. guess i'm just looking for other kernels to try w/ AOKP. having had an android phone for 3+ years, i'm not used to not having options. do you two, or anyone know if the webos makes it harder to develop kernels for the TP, or are there just not any kernel developers? and thats not a complaint, i appreciate all that everyone does and the time they put in, and i know i could always learn how to myself.

thanks
dan

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
appreciate the replies. guess i'm just looking for other kernels to try w/ AOKP. having had an android phone for 3+ years, i'm not used to not having options. do you two, or anyone know if the webos makes it harder to develop kernels for the TP, or are there just not any kernel developers? and thats not a complaint, i appreciate all that everyone does and the time they put in, and i know i could always learn how to myself.

thanks
dan
So you are going to try using a WebOS kernel with Android?

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Most "kernels" are just slight derivatives/clones of other ones that mostly just give a placebo effect anyways.

Typically there's one or two on every device made by someone that knows what they're doing and the rest are just clones of those.

·
Android Beginner
251 Posts
Most "kernels" are just slight derivatives/clones of other ones that mostly just give a placebo effect anyways.

Typically there's one or two on every device made by someone that knows what they're doing and the rest are just clones of those.
yeah, ive just been spoiled having some great developers for the OG droid and thunderbolt

and thats not meant as a shot against developers here, i'm running ics on a hp touchpad because of them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.