Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Hi tbolt and charge kernel dev here. I had a couple of hours this weekend and thought i'd dust off my old gtab and build a quick voodoo kernel for ef01.

This is a beta kernel - please back up all data, etc. before flashing

This is not my usual leanKernel since source code for GB kernel is not available yet (is this true? let me know if source is avail). It's basically the stock leak kernel repacked (using supercurio's repack utils) with modified initramfs.

Features
  • full voodoo lagfix support and auto conversion between rfs and ext4
  • voodoo sound support (requires voodoo control plus app)
  • buffers, memory tweaks
  • init.d support (requires a good working busybox installation)
  • busybox fix - will install busybox 1.20 if it's missing from ROM (this only works if you flash the kernel zip from recovery)

Code:
# mount | busybox grep ext4<br />
/dev/block/stl9 /system ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=0,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /cache ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc 0 0<br />
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=0,nodelalloc,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0<br />
# busybox uname -a<br />
Linux localhost 2.6.35.7 #2 PREEMPT Thu Jun 9 16:35:31 KST 2011 armv7l GNU/Linux
Changelog
  • v0.1.5 - initial test release
  • v0.2.0 - CWM flashable zip, busybox fix

EF01 Downloads
heimdall kernel: http://cl.ly/AGUw
flashable kernel zip (via cwm): http://cl.ly/AFpj

working recovery from CM7 (heimdall): http://cl.ly/AGBB

Installation
  • if you already have a working CWM recovery, just flash the zip file.
  • if not, you can either 1) heimdall flash the recovery, go into recovery and flash the zip, or 2) heimdall flash the kernel and the recovery.

·
Average Android
111 Posts
Ok thanks, I'm backing up stuff. but i know wrong section but is it possible to get cwm on gb rom on the galaxy tab? ive searched a bit but havent found anything. the whole samsung tab is new to me.

·
MILF
678 Posts
"TopazAaron said:
Ok thanks, I'm backing up stuff. but i know wrong section but is it possible to get cwm on gb rom on the galaxy tab? ive searched a bit but havent found anything. the whole samsung tab is new to me.
Yes, I've built it. You can flash the recovery from my cm7 thread.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
So quick question to make sure I have this right before I flash(or Brick). In heimdall the kernal zimage from above goes in the kernel slot and the CWM recovery zimage from above goes in the recovery slot? Sounds like a stupid question but I've always placed the kernal zimage in both the kernel and recovery slot... just want to make sure. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup correct, in this case you only need to flash kernel only, unless you want the recovery too. You can also just flash recovery and then flash the zip within recovery. Hope this makes sense.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Been running it all day....I don't have any quadrant scores but Voodoo working, EXT4 converted, very stable....Strong work!! I'd love to see an OC and native CWM option but I guess we may have to wait for source code??? Not sure what all is involved in adding those things. Thanks.

·
Android Beginner
17 Posts
Flashed with cmw from the op and have had 0 problems with oldmacnut's p&c rom. What a difference voodoo makes!!!!!!!

·
Android Apprentice
37 Posts
Applied this kernel and it killed my wifi. Had to really install Cyanogen ROM.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TabletMan said:
Applied this kernel and it killed my wifi. Had to really install Cyanogen ROM.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
Keep in mind that this is based on the stock kernel and includes stock wifi driver. You must be on a EF01 based ROM or stock ROM.

·
Android Apprentice
37 Posts
imoseyon said:
Keep in mind that this is based on the stock kernel and includes stock wifi driver. You must be on a EF01 based ROM or stock ROM.
Thanks. Missed this fact alltogether

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Full On Addicted
161 Posts
Need some help. I am running the stock EF01 leak with this kernel. I am having a HELLUVA time getting the recovery image to work. I have flashed it using heimdall twice now. When I boot into recovery (power and volume up) I get the generic "android recovery" screen. What should I be seeing? There's no option to create a backup or any of the other things I'm used to seeing in recovery.
Not a noob....just really puzzled. Little help please?

·
Full On Addicted
161 Posts
jamison86 said:
Have you tried to download ROM manager and boot into recovery from there?
Thanks, yep....did that shortly after posting the one above and that did the trick. Appreciate the response .

·
Android Lover
145 Posts
immo any chance you would have some time to help dsb, jmz, and myself out? were gona start dev'in for this device. If you could pop in the thunderbolt irc id love you long time! irc.andirc.net #thunderbolt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts