Android OS Forum banner
281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Is set cpu or tshed settings under performance compatible with this kernel? Sorry if the answer is here but hard to find in tapatalk. I'm using 1.1 which doesnt seem to be listed here.

·
Android Drifter
2,159 Posts
Is set cpu or tshed settings under performance compatible with this kernel? Sorry if the answer is here but hard to find in tapatalk. I'm using 1.1 which doesnt seem to be listed here.
Answered in thundershed thread.

*Thunderbolt 4G*

Reactions: recDNA

·
Android Drifter
2,159 Posts
on another note 1.1.0 is a BEAST!!!! now my favorite aosp kernel!
Definitely! Ran 1.1.0 on thundershed for a long time (5+ months). Battery life and smoothness on 1.1.0 are unparalleled on AOSP for the bolt.

Reactions: DeReaper

·
Android Drifter
2,159 Posts
How is this kernel vs IMO 6.2??

Sent from my ADR6400L using RootzWiki
Well, imoseyon's 6.2.1 AOSP kernel was his last release on the bolt for AOSP... imo's leankernel 6.2.1AOSP works well, and he patched it to include multitouch support in contrast with zoom 1.1.0. I actually prefer zoom kernel personally, it runs my phone more smoothly on various settings and has the best battery life of all the thunderbolt AOSP kernels IMHO. If I miss multitouch, I flash imo's 6.2.1, a little tweaking goes a long way on leankernel in my experience, and not all (govs, freqs, profiles) settings run equally on it either. That's my experience anyway, YMMV. I don't think there is a "best" for all users on all roms, you really have to try everything available and judge for yourself what suits your needs and those of your device best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've gone back and forth between Zoom and Imo on Thundershed and I get more battery life, smoother UI with apps opening faster on Imo set to Normal (undervolt, overclocked to 1.9) w/ smartassv2.
When I first flashed Zoom, it was definitely smooth, but I had a lot off squeaks when playing music and battery wasn't as good.
As mentioned before, your device may be different.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

·
Android Noob
185 Posts
I've gone back and forth between Zoom and Imo on Thundershed and I get more battery life, smoother UI with apps opening faster on Imo set to Normal (undervolt, overclocked to 1.9) w/ smartassv2.
When I first flashed Zoom, it was definitely smooth, but I had a lot off squeaks when playing music and battery wasn't as good.
As mentioned before, your device may be different.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Interesting. I switched from the stock (Tshed customized) kernel to Zoom and immediately my phone worked better (I was having freezes with the stock kernel). Battery has been good, the phone works smooth. Since it worked well I didn't try any other kernels, so I have no other experience to be able to speak from.

What I found interesting was that your phone got better battery with Imo running overclocked. I am not technical so I may be off the mark here, but based on my limited experience with overclocking my TouchPad I found that overclocking improved performance (at least as reflected by faster/smoother screen transitions) but significantly reduced battery life. So you describing your experience with smoother UI and faster app opens makes sense to me. What is really interesting is that you also get better battery life too?

btw, I understand Tiamat's kernel gets better audio performance that stock and Zoom. I reckon at some point I need to try both Imo and Tiamat and se how they work on my phone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's the beauty of undervolting and Android in general.
The battery discharges at a lower/slower rate, so it lasts longer. At least that's the theory.
With overclocking, it just allows a faster top clock speed but it doesn't stay there.
the governor, in this case smartassv2 regulates how much time the processor stays at the top speed. So you're not pinned at 1.9 all the time, you just have the option of going there.

I forgot where I read it, but someone wrote a post comparing energy used to complete a given task at different clock speeds. His point was that lower isn't always better. Since it takes longer to do a given task at speed X, it takes less time to do the same task at speed 1.5X and while you might have increased the speed by half, you may not have ncessarily increased the battery consumption by half.
So, you can conceivably get more batery life out of undervolted/over clocked.

Imo also has tweeks set up so that you can choose the extent to which you're undervolted and overclocked.
I'm at Normal (laugh all you want)
Extreme lowers the voltage but keeps the same clock speed. I had a lot of FC at that setting.

I tried Tiamat, but I forgot why I didn't like it.

281 - 294 of 294 Posts