Difficulty:: Moderate

Mod Status:: Beta

Apply In:: Other (See Description)

Carrier:: Verizon

Optional:: Custom Settings

Requires Root:: Yes

Source::
Nameless Kernel Tweaker (Beta 2)
This is a beta version of my Tasker widget/application that allows you to customize various aspects of the kernel you are running (assuming it is supported). Currently, this is only for Franco's Kernel. My plan is to add as many more kernels as possible and allow the user the flexibility to control all of them from one widget/app.

IMPORTANT:
Many of the kernel devs have apps in the marketplace that allow you to interface with their kernels to change advanced settings. They work very hard for the community and strongly suggest your support them with a donation or by downloading and paying for their app.

I got the idea from Jakebites whose LeanKernel tweaks I use often. I am a big tasker user and the latest version really allows you tremendous flexibility around interfacing with the OS and customizing the Widget/App. This is not a standalone app and will require you to have the latest version of Tasker which you can purchase in the market or from the dev's website.

Standard disclaimers apply. Not responsible for what you do to your device. Make a android/backup (although this widget is only modifying the custom kernel files that will reset on reboot)

Current Version - Beta 2 (3/8/12)
Download: Nameless Beta 2
MD5: 600837945e4d8eaaae32ac129ff1c138

Features Currently Supported:

- Gamma v1_Offset control

- Color multiplier control

- Enable/disable hotplugging

- Default value restore
- Last value restore
- USB Fast Charging Control

- Volume Boost Hack Control

Planned:
- core voltage control- iva voltage control- create init.d scripts to allow settings to load on boot- improve layout- add other kernels- add script profiles that enable you to set custom control profiles for various activities that can be enabled manually or auto (i.e. Change color settings/voltages for playing games or watching video, etc)

Changelog:

Beta 2 (3/8/12)
- Added volume boost control
- Added usb fast charging control
- Overhauled UI to make it more ICS like
- Set up tabs for OC /UV and Info - CURRENTLY NOT ENABLED
- Added 1 profile to exit all app screens created by tasker (ensures they do not run in background by accident). Make sure to add this to profiles section.
- Fixed some bugs
Beta 1 (3/6/12)
- Initial release

Requirements
1) Franco's Kernel
2) Latest version of Tasker: 1.2.1u1 - Download from here

How to Install
*Its important you import into Tasker properly as if you are missing any one of the Tasks or Scenes, this will not work properly. Please let me know if you have a problem. Tasker screenshots below.

1) Download the latest version to your sdcard
2) Uncompress the zip file. This is NOT INSTALLABLE via a flashable zip. If you have previously opened Tasker, you should have a folder called auto-import in /sdcard/Tasker/auto-import. I would uncompress to this folder as it makes it much easier to import into Tasker.
3) Open Tasker. You will see four tabs across the top [Profiles, Tasks, Scenes, Variables]
4) Long press on the Tasks tab and choose Import. This will allow you to navigate your sdcard and find where you saved the uncompressed file and open the tasks folder. Click on each file to import it.
5) Repeat step 4 only on the Scenes tab. This time, locate the scenes folder from the download and import each scene.
6) Repeat step 4 only on the Profiles tab. This time, locate the profiles folder from the download and import each profile.
7) Once you are done, you should see 20 tasks and 7 scenes and 1 profile. HIt the checkmark on the bottom left to enable Tasker.
8) Lastly, go to your desktop and add a Tasker widget. When you click on it, it will ask you to choose a task. Select the Namesless Menu and you will also have to attach an icon to represent the widget. Pick whatever you like and click the checkmark. You now have your custom kernel widget ready to go.*Note: Make sure you have enabled Tasker in the Accessibility settings.

Tasker Pages:

Screenshots:

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for this. I just got around to trying Francos kernel and happen to see this at the same time. I am a HUGE tasker fan but had no idea you could do this in tasker. I imported the profiles and tried this out. Seems to work well.

Def would like to see voltage control added to it.

Any plans for LeanKernel? That has been my kernel of choice and i am using jakes app for now.

Ill play some more and give you feedback.

#3 ·
having issues with the restore settings button. often just says the values have been restored to "%colorred" etc.

would like to see a toggle for fast charge on and off, and changing the sound hack value. using init.d to control these now. voltages and governors is covered by most roms and other programs because they're universal for all kernels.

#4 ·
Thanks. The restore button will say that until you enter New Values for the first time into Color Multiplier since it uses the values entered to store in its memory. Actually you need to enter twice since entering once, their is technically nothing to restore to except default values. But it looks ugly. I will add an initialization on boot that plugs i default values for those variables so that you don't get that ugly text. Thanks for checking.

I plan to add those other features. I agree on voltages and governors since they are covered by the ROMs themselves or something like setCPU. They will be the last thing added.

Plan now is to get this up and running for LeanKernel as well and then add those other basic features. After that Ill probably do it for GLADOS since I have been rotating between all 3 kernels.

#10 ·
OP updated with Beta 2. Significantly overhauled UI and added in various tweaks such as the volume boost + usb fast charge. Now that I have the basic UI down, i am going to work on adding LeanKernel as well as adding a Save on Boot option to create an init.d script. Ill post new screen shots shortly.

#13 ·
Is there any way of opting-out of you adding an interface to my kernel?

I appreciate your effort however the practical consequence of your work is that users might get Tasker and use your script instead of getting the kernel apps from the corresponding devs. Since these apps are out there to collect funds for new devices to work on the consequence is that these funds go to some company instead of the devs that actually have made these tweaks possible.

I would like to believe that people still would do the right thing and support the devs, however if you take a look at the donations log in my signature and the fact that I already found pirated versions of my GLaDOS Control app on the web maybe you will understand I am a little more cautious.

#14 ·
Ezekeel,
I respect your comments, but you sound like the MPAA or RIAA and we are talking about open source. People will donate to you because they respect your work regardless if there are pirated versions of your app or this tasker program. If anything this could benefit your donations because people will get more of the experience with it and be swayed to go to your thread. I know you see your hard work being distributed and worried that will hurt your donations and support, but try to look at it as helping you get more attention. Your core donors and supporters will stay with you and you will get newcomers as well. Its your kernal app, and if you feel defending it will help you, go for it. Metallica sued Napster and their fans blasted them for it. Metallica is still rich and they still play and their stuff is still pirated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#17 ·
The redesigned UI is sweet dude. This works so well. Also want the init.d.

I can sympathize with ezekeel especially since his app has been pirated. But not sure it's so fair to ask OP not to make a tasker app that's simply a GUI to the terminal. If he was kanging the kernel and asking for money that would be one thing. or if he was doing something to a proprietary app but as it was said it is open source.

Maybe the op could also link to the market apps for the kernels as well. Make it as easy as possible to see where users can buy the kernel devs apps. but he does say upfront to buy those apps so not sure how much more he should do

#19 ·
Not to but in, but I agree with ezeekel. Your tasker script is very nice, but it makes competition to the devs app which directly supports their work. You are right in saying that you can do this, however should you do this is the question. I'm sure ezeekel and Franco worked very hard on their kernel and then their app to make their kernel easier to use. I'm sure if you were in their shoes you would have a different perspective. You can do whatever you want because you are not breaking any rules, but the right thing to do is to respect the opinion of the dev who's hard work you are undercutting. I support both of these devs and bought both apps even though they work with each other. Do what you want but you should consider the devs opinion in this situation.

#20 ·
You are the perfect example of why this devs project doesn't hurt or undercut anyone. You support the devs regardless and many others will too. If you develop from open source, its not even yours to begin with. Making some app that tweaks an open source project is great and that is what the open source community is about. Trying to monopolize it and make money is not supporting the community, it supports one persons work and not everyone who made that work possible. I can point to 1000 example of good open source projects that do not try to stop people from expanding on it or playing with it. When you agree with ezekeel you see one person and not the community who helped ezekeel. He did not create the kernal from scratch. He took code and made what he wanted. Then makes features more advanced to have an app needed to make it easy to manipulate. Nothing wrong with what he is doing. I think that's a great model for a developer, but doesn't give him the right to stop others to make tweak programs that interface with ezekeels open source project. Last this is not a competition to make money. Android is community effort. This isn't capitalism. If you want closed systems, get a windows phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#22 ·
PM me. I'll help you.

I was on a mini vacation and just got back to looking at this thread. First I appreciate the friendly conversation but from now on lets keep it on topic.

I will try and speak to the kernel devs privately.

Should have init.d support added to allow serrings to persist on boot by the end of tomorrow.

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I will have the OP updated tomorrow but for those looking for init.d support now download the three files below and add to tasker. There are two tasks and one scene-which you should replace your Franco Other Tab scene with. This scene adds buttons for enabling and removing an initd script to allow your settings to persist on reboot.

One note on how this works. You must hit the yes button to create the script and settings. Every time you decide to change a setting you need to reapply the script by just hitting the yes button. In the future I will make this more intuitive. To remove your script just hit the No button.

Since I am doing this from 30000 feet in the sky I strongly suggest you backup your initd directory.

Sorry for the separate links.

https://www.box.com/shared/3xplcgehqa0h8xqa7vd4

https://www.box.com/shared/8g2gisdbcajfhfbz5r6x

https://www.box.com/shared/5vrj6yu9t5tcz6pli7zt

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.