Android OS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Supporting Member
55 Posts
Mine is in the mail. I'll be joining the fun in a few days...

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
Just registered with a A500 and HTC Desire Z in tow. Glad to see alot of people active in both sub forums.

Running my A500 on the latest Taboonay 2.0 with their custom kernel. Everything is great when overclocked, haha!

·
Android Dev
61 Posts
Sammyboy,
I couldn't agree more. I am absolutely loving my A500.
I was definitely not an Acer fan before I bought the A500, but I am now.
I bought the A500 using Staple's $100 off web coupon.
I was hoping for an Asus transformer, but none of the Staples had them in stock.
However, I have nothing but praise for the A500 now, and I believe it to be superior to both the Transformer and Galaxy tab.
The A500 is actually device level compatible with the following 3 tablets:
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab
  • Asus Transformer
  • Motorola XOOM
I am not sure if you knew, but you can actually load the images for any of those 3 tablets onto your Acer and it boot up and function just as if it was that device. If you connect it to your PC, it will even report that your Acer is a Galaxy Tab, for example.
However the A500 has 2 advantages over the other 3 tabs.
1. It uses DDR3 memory instead of DDR2 like the other 3 tabs.
This makes the A500 about 10% faster running real world applications.
2. The A500 has superior USB host support, including a full sized USB host port and support for powered or non-powered USB hubs.
I really love the brushed aluminum case.
I am currently running a seriously tweaked build on my Acer, using the Acer A501 Android 3.2 build with some kernel and library mods to support:
1. Unity kernel which allows overclocking to up to 1.7ghz.
2. Netflix movie support
and
3. Dynamic changing of my build.prop so I can install blocked applications. I am sure you have noticed lots of apps are "not compatible with your device"..
I have been able to load several applications and games on my A500 that the developer said would not work, including several Gameloft games.
I am definitely a big fan of this tablet and it is actually the cheapest "real" tablet out there.
I am also an Android developer and I am currently working with the touchdroid team on porting Android to the $99 HP touchpad
Drop me a line if you want to talk shop sometime.
TecKnight

·
Android Apprentice
83 Posts
Had mine for a month or so, now. Running the latest Taboonay custom rom with the packaged kernel, and it's amazingly smooth for e-reading and Playstation emulation. Works surprisingly well taking notes in class, too, with the Polaris Office app allowing you to pull up and edit powerpoint files, including the notes in each slide.

·
Android Beginner
20 Posts
I just bought mine. I seem to always,buy the "off brands" lol. (Have a rooted thunderbolt running miui, but waiting for ics ) haven't found any roms yet that wow me, but i rooted this thing the same day I bought it. Guess I cant help myself.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Loving mine rooted it the next day and slapped thors ROM on it. I will be using it tomorrow to edit some video well see how it goes.

Sent from my ADR6350 using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I just bought mine. I seem to always,buy the "off brands" lol. (Have a rooted thunderbolt running miui, but waiting for ics ) haven't found any roms yet that wow me, but i rooted this thing the same day I bought it. Guess I cant help myself.
I have the same Thunderbolt/A500 duo (Thunderbolt since March and Iconia since May). For the Thunderbolt I am running Das Bamf forever cubed v 1.0.9. Using boot manager, I am running Miui ICS version 3 in one slot and Shift A05P v 3.2.1 with ICS launcher in another slot.
For the Iconia I have run everything in site from XOOM roms to galaxy and Thrive roms also Taboonay, Thor, Honey Villain currently using a Android 3.2.1 Rom by Civato. Many great roms out there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just got the iconia. Went with it because of the full size USB port and support for importing pictures straight off a camera

[sent from my tablet]

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
A little late but I have an A500 16GB. I bought a 32GB class 10 card which smokes. Anyway I also have a Samsung Droid Charge. Both are rooted. I run stock 3.1 on the A500 although I'm planning an upgrade to 3.2.1 soon. I run Humble 5.0 RC2 with kernel 2.6.35.7-EP4. The phone is very very stable. I carry an extra battery. I bought the 3500Mah with the plastic case and it broke. So now I just stick with two stock batteries.

I LOVE the Acer Iconia A500. It's so much fun compared to the phone. Th Samsung Droid Charge has Verizon and Samsung bloatware with a very small amount of run time memory. You must root that phone or not buy apps. What a choice! Oh, what a mistake on my part. Learn a lesson from me, make sure the phone has at least 1GB of run time memory. Compile time on the tablet compared to the phone is a joke. Plus the phone comes with Froyo though Verizon is now starting to do OTA GB updates (finally). I think the should of just skipped GB and gone with ICS, they took so long anyway.

Well nice to be here. Hope to contribute.

·
Supporting Member
113 Posts
I have the Iconia as well. Rooted running Taboony ROM with Richard Trip Kernel.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
I've got one as well. Went with it over the transformer back in october for my wife and love it. I made the mistake of not rooting it right away and applied the ota update. I'd probably downgrade if I thought we would eventually see enough community support to make it worthwhile but based on what I've seen thats not likely.

·
Supporting Member
113 Posts
I've got one as well. Went with it over the transformer back in october for my wife and love it. I made the mistake of not rooting it right away and applied the ota update. I'd probably downgrade if I thought we would eventually see enough community support to make it worthwhile but based on what I've seen thats not likely.
I too passed on the transformer. Why did you? I passed cause I thought build quality was poor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using RootzWiki

·
Supporting Member
6 Posts
The full USB port is amazing. Plugging in my Saturn Pad for some old school gaming is awesome. The screen is also pretty good for being a barebones LCD. The speakers are also really good. I could go on and on as to why I love mine over my other honeycomb tablets.

Basically, I love mine.

Sent from my MB860 using RootzWiki

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
I have one, am rooted and have custom kernel and Rom, running Thor 3.2.1 , amazingly smooth and compatible. Haven't had any issues, and I have tried other roms and cannot say the same for those. A quick google search will find you Thors rom, check it out guys, not sure why it isn't on here or XDA

·
n00b Dev
68 Posts
i gots an a500!!! not the best tablet, but it works absolutely perfect for portrait orientation. i use my a500 as a double din radio. its kinda like my car OS. got it hooked up to my ecu, stereo, gps, maps, hotspot, etc. its amazing!!!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts