Android OS Forum banner
221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Hey Kookie, so I was wondering, after all this time, how has it been for you with your install?.. Is everything still in place? Has it proven useful and much better over stock head unit? No major issues? Not even battery drain?

I just recently found out my Tilapia has a defective NFC chip (causing excessive battery drain) and I have to RMA it... :lame:
Hey!!! :D

Well, yeah, I still have mine installed. I never got a major issue sorted though. When I was mounting the whole thing I mixes the poles and ended up burning something inside, I think. The result of this is that the N7 still provides energy to the USB slaves even while in deep sleep or completely shutdown, which drains the battery completely, if I allow it. This makes it impossible for the slaves to remain connected at all times. This is a major pain in the a** that made me kind of lose interest for the project. I've decided to fix now though... a project like this truly deserves to be fully functional.

When the slaves are off I get minimal drain. Back in early September I went away on holidays for a week, when I came back the N7's battery was at 57%. :grin:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey!!! :D

Well, yeah, I still have mine installed. I never got a major issue sorted though. When I was mounting the whole thing I mixes the poles and ended up burning something inside, I think. The result of this is that the N7 still provides energy to the USB slaves even while in deep sleep or completely shutdown, which drains the battery completely, if I allow it. This makes it impossible for the slaves to remain connected at all times. This is a major pain in the a** that made me kind of lose interest for the project. I've decided to fix now though... a project like this truly deserves to be fully functional.

When the slaves are off I get minimal drain. Back in early September I went away on holidays for a week, when I came back the N7's battery was at 57%. :grin:
That sure was some nasty mistake!.. Oh well, couldn't you try and just RMA it too, playing naive? Or get a spare N7 for parts? Maybe your N7 main board needs a replace like mine... We can assume it's not software, right? Fixed installation mode and all sorts are active or ready when requested? What about the cables and the hub, double checked those or tried replacing?

have a look at my topic when you fell like: :emoji_u1f603:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/210497-xapt3r5s-in-dash-project-symphonynexus/

cheers

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
That sure was some nasty mistake!.. Oh well, couldn't you try and just RMA it too, playing naive? Or get a spare N7 for parts? Maybe your N7 main board needs a replace like mine... We can assume it's not software, right? Fixed installation mode and all sorts are active or ready when requested? What about the cables and the hub, double checked those or tried replacing?

have a look at my topic when you fell like: :emoji_u1f603:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/210497-xapt3r5s-in-dash-project-symphonynexus/

cheers
Mete "nasty" nisso... lol

Well... I thought about RAM'ing it... but what would the reason be? "Guys... my N7 loses charge when I connect the slaves via OTG cable". eheh Somehow I think they would end up charging me the repair anyway. I might still buy a refurbished/broken screen unit and try and swap the mainboard myself. That shouldn't be too hard, based on some videos I've seen.

I'm almost 100% sure it's not software... but I've read somewhere that some guy's N7 was draining while shut off and he solved it by hard-resetting it. Might have something to do with the bootloader, I guess. I once got my micro-USB port (which was not working at all, didn't even charge the N7) fixed by flashing the bootloader. It's been so long now that I can't even remember if I flashed USBROM again after swapping the cables. I might give that one a try soon...

·
Registered
144 Posts
One question: have you ever shutdown your N7 using tasker, secure settings, or other similar app, or terminal commands while using the fastboot tweak "off-mode-charge 0"?

If you did, then it's "normal" to observe this kind of behaviour from the tablet, every now and then (not receiving charge at all not even in recovery). One would need to fix this by either disconnecting/reconnecting usb cable, or turning ignition key off and going to USB Host settings and disable both "Fixed Installation" and "Fast charging" options, then turn key on, wait a few seconds, turn it off again, then enabling those two options again and turn key on again, If I got that right...

I'm just not too sure whether or not it happens after a simple shutdown using command or if you get it after the N7 reboots itself due to freezing. I too, got scared the first time I experienced this, but it's not that of a big deal, really, no need for hard reset, calling the paramedics, or the fire department... :p

This could easily explain why your usb slaves are draining battery from your N7, since it drops out of fixed installation mode, permanently, even though you have those options ticked in settings. But, then again, it could be me just hoping you don't have to work that out the hard way.. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I made an account just for this thread, lol. I was curious as to where I could get the parts? I don't see any links :(

also, did you ever get around to posting pictures? :)
I can give you the link for the Sabre DAC: http://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23

Most of the stuff is buyable locally. What other parts do you have in mind. Can you specify, please?

There are many topics of people's different projects you can browse, including mine, where you can find a variety of information, pictures and links.

The Timur's USB ROM topic 1st post, has referred links to those projects, and is a good place to start. Just google around. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can give you the link for the Sabre DAC: http://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23

Most of the stuff is buyable locally. What other parts do you have in mind. Can you specify, please?

There are many topics of people's different projects you can browse, including mine, where you can find a variety of information, pictures and links.

The Timur's USB ROM topic 1st post, has referred links to those projects, and is a good place to start. Just google around. ;)
I specifically want to put it in a 2011 Chevy Cruze. My problem is, I have the dash mounted subwoofer where the current head unit would be newly mounted. All I want to do is move the current head unit up and replace it with a Nexus 7. Possibly have it ran so it charges even when the car is off and replace my PDIM so I can use Bluetooth.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Hey bammeh.... nice to see someone else trying to install a Nexus 7 in a Chevy Cruze! :D

Here's the images I took during the whole process.... not many though.

http://postimg.org/my.php?gallery=d64rb9m

As for the links... I kind of lost them in a post edit I made... and never got into getting all of them back online. Which items are you most interested in? I might try and find them for you. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ehmm.. Kookie, seems like that gallery link of yours isn't working... I would like to check those as well!

@bammeh

I had to google for "PDIM" meaning, haha... :lol: Still don't understand why you would want to remove it, though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I'll replace the link ASAP (currently on mobile). He doesn't want to remove the PDIM, he wants to replace it sit the Bluetooth version. When I first started the project I thought about it too... but it's really hard to find on the internet and expensive too (> $100)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll replace the link ASAP (currently on mobile). He doesn't want to remove the PDIM, he wants to replace it sit the Bluetooth version. When I first started the project I thought about it too... but it's really hard to find on the internet and expensive too (> $100)
Right now my current problem is where the Current unit would be moved up into the dash, I have a giant in-dash speaker that I have no idea how to remove/reposition...any ideas? @Koookie_Monster

Haha, want to replace not remove, @xapt3r5

·
Registered
1 Posts
OP. I have been trying to get media controls on the navbar bar for my Car install. I and using the Nexus 7 2013 LTE version with Elementalx kernel for stock 5.1.1. From what I understand I will need to use CM 10.1 nightly build before 5/15/2013 and then flash the zip file you had created.

Can you point me to a sourace from where I can download that. I have checked CM website but can't find any nightly build that old. More general question, which version of stock O.S. does CM10.1 correspond to. I need the cross reference so that I can download the correct version of elementalx kernel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi ive bn using this forum for months to complete my nexus install for my mk 5 golf build, ive accomplished everything successfully with the wealth of knowledge gained from everyone here sharing their work and progress.

ive used the image ive attached as my UI wallpaper, but of course modified it to suit VW, the only thing stopping me progressing further is I cannot for the life of me figure out how the hell to make the invisible hotspots for the image below, I realize this is an old thread and maybe the original poster of the below bmw ui isn't around to share this info, or even better a file to give me the finishing touches before I install in my car

hope someone here is willing to help as ive been stuck with this for the past month before posting here,

compared to the rest of the stuff ive learned to get to where I am at the moment with my build the hotspots should be easy,

as I picked up a nexus 7 and have never owned a android tablet before, so had to learn from scratch how to root,flast timurs rom ect ect

hope someone will take pity on me, as im losing what little hair I have left on

ps great forum by the way

also once ive got this thing completed I will upload pics of my build,as im going down a slightly different route,ie im using my parrot mki9100 to power speakers ect, and then ive got the option of Bluetooth or aux for audio, as I already had the parrot fitted to my car, and its simplified things slightly for my 1st tablet install

and ive attached a pic of the image modified in photoshop to suit my car

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can you point me to a sourace from where I can download that. I have checked CM website but can't find any nightly build that old. More general question, which version of stock O.S. does CM10.1 correspond to. I need the cross reference so that I can download the correct version of elementalx kernel.
The version of Android is Jelly Bean 4.2.x, I think. Timur's rom is based in Cyanogenmod 10.1, which has JB 4.2.2. Don't know about other roms/kernels though...

ive used the image ive attached as my UI wallpaper, but of course modified it to suit VW, the only thing stopping me progressing further is I cannot for the life of me figure out how the hell to make the invisible hotspots for the image below, I realize this is an old thread and maybe the original poster of the below bmw ui isn't around to share this info, or even better a file to give me the finishing touches before I install in my car
Download Ultimate Custom Widget (UCCW) or Desktop Visualizer from playstore, and make transparent (empty) icon/shortcut on top of the actual image. There are other custom widget apps, but everyone here found those are the best for this, I guess...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kookie_Monster, I'm from Portugal,

Love you have done with your car instalation!

i'm trying to build something like what you have done in my Mazda 3 from 2007.

I would like you to ask you some questions do you think I can get your email address so we can talk?

Thanks in advance.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts