Android OS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Average Android
301 Posts
BLN (Back light notification) was used extensively with the Fascinate. People either loved it or hated it. I kinda liked it especially when used through a custom app like Blinky. BLN is a kernel thing so I'm sure you'd need source for one; however, the Fascinate used capacitive buttons and the Charge mechanical so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. At any rate, somebody more informed than I could weigh in on this better but I'm with you.... BLN would be a welcome mod for this phone. I miss having it!

Sent from my Gummy Charged GBE 2.0 using Tapatalk

·
Android Lover
275 Posts
"SOTK said:
BLN (Back light notification) was used extensively with the Fascinate. People either loved it or hated it. I kinda liked it especially when used through a custom app like Blinky. BLN is a kernel thing so I'm sure you'd need source for one; however, the Fascinate used capacitive buttons and the Charge mechanical so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. At any rate, somebody more informed than I could weigh in on this better but I'm with you.... BLN would be a welcome mod for this phone. I miss having it!

Arguably useless imho since the backlights on the buttons are so dim.

·
Average Android
301 Posts
True. The backlights are much dimmer on the Charge than Fascinate.

·
Android Lover
255 Posts
I just use NoLED and call it a day, though that's an interesting idea. Problem is, I wouldn't be likely to notice it. The button backlights don't really stand out much in a bright setting, they just look white either way. But you could certainly tell at night, be great if it could flash or pulse or something.

·
Android Apprentice
38 Posts
Cruiserdude said:
I just use NoLED and call it a day, though that's an interesting idea. Problem is, I wouldn't be likely to notice it. The button backlights don't really stand out much in a bright setting, they just look white either way. But you could certainly tell at night, be great if it could flash or pulse or something.
I agree noled is the way to go. Very convinent and it doesnt drain battery (Im on GC GBRC1.2)

·
Kicking it old school
130 Posts
Terrible idea. It would be incredibly useful and make me want to take off my Otterbox. Therefore I vote against it. :tongue3:

·
Android Apprentice
59 Posts
I couldn't even tell you what makes my buttons turn on and off as it is. It seems totally random, I'll be playing on my phone and they'll just turn off.

I use noLED, but only need it in class. Otherwise, I turn it off as that's the only place I'll be where I'll see it without hearing it.

·
Android Lover
275 Posts
"BleedsOrangeandBlue said:
I couldn't even tell you what makes my buttons turn on and off as it is. It seems totally random, I'll be playing on my phone and they'll just turn off.

I use noLED, but only need it in class. Otherwise, I turn it off as that's the only place I'll be where I'll see it without hearing it.
When it detects a "low light situation" the phone turns them on. Supposedly. I'm in pitch black right now and they aren't on.

EDIT: disregard that, they weren't on because the battery was under 10%

Also, Samsung says they're trying to get rid of the "feature" (not really useful if you can't see them), but the Sammy devs are having a tough time getting rid of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts