Android OS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the droid had been in the wild so long I was wondering, Has anyone noticed any problems after long term use of overclocked kernels?

I personally have been using 800-1000mhz kernels over a year now with no troubles. I know that overclocking will shorten the life of your device, and that every device is different, but just curious to what others are experiencing.

·
Android Apprentice
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Droid-Xer said:
Processors van handle quite a bit of stress and heat. So its not surprising to see no issues with any overclocked device.
I agree that they can handle more than they are rated for, but working in the electronics field I also know that pushing things to the limit will shorten it's life. my biggest concern would be heat related but I have seen no damaged processors or boards due to heat. I was just curious if anyone had experienced a failure yet.

The other thing to remember is that not every chip is created equal, some can handle more than others.

Personally my droid is getting close to the end of it's life, and once I find a suitable device to upgrade to I would like to see exactly how far the processor will go before failure.

·
Never Nude Analrapist
375 Posts
I've been overclocking (mostly to somewhere between 1000Mhz-1200Mhz) for well over a year now with no ill effects. As some have mentioned, sometimes my phone gets a little hot, but that's where having a SetCPU profile in place when CPU temps reaches a certain point comes in handy. I'm still using my D1 and plan to for a while (at least until the Bionic and/or SGS2 is released).

·
Supporting Member
34 Posts
Solid as far as device goes. I did buy a new battery a few months back when I noticed less life by the time I'd get home after work, but my usage is pretty high and I anticipated doing this anyway.

I've been rooted and on custom ROMs and kernels about 4 months after purchase. Typically 800 mhz to 1.0 ghz. One month left till upgrade is available...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
L1Wulf said:
Solid as far as device goes. I did buy a new battery a few months back when I noticed less life by the time I'd get home after work, but my usage is pretty high and I anticipated doing this anyway.

I've been rooted and on custom ROMs and kernels about 4 months after purchase. Typically 800 mhz to 1.0 ghz. One month left till upgrade is available...

This sounds vert similar t to my situation. I am on my second battery as well. I have been due an upgrade for a few months now, but have little desire to upgrade until some better devices come out

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
I've had a my OG since Day 1 and have had it rooted and OCed since very early into the process. I have to say that the overall performance in my Droid has gotten simply abysmal the past few months. I just received an insurance replacement D1 as I cracked the original's screen, and I gotta say, it's a world of a diff. It's as fast and responsive as my old D1 at it's peak. Can I say for sure that OCing all this time was what caused my deteriorated performance? No, I can't. But I can't rule it out, either.

·
Average Android
79 Posts
I've had mine since last october and I use 1200mhz ulv kernels. It'll go to 1330 but lacks stability. I keep it on performance most of the time and temps can run @ about 120 while I'm web surfin or playing games. I still use the stock battery and I have to say its near the end of its life. 8-10 hrs use max. No problems with the processor, but the memory is what I think gets worn more than anything.

·
Music Composer
168 Posts
Your battery is not near the end of it's life. Stock battery expectancy is actually 5-6 hours under heavy use. Unless your 8-10 hours max is under standby power, I'd say it's doing great! (have you re-calibrated?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts