Android OS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
All of your roots, give them to me.
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK! Let's play "Hollywood h4x of a phone" but in real life. The nook tablet currently has no way to load adb up until we can access debug menu which doesn't show in settings. Question is, how should we enable adb as well as drop the root gaining payload for the latest update that I came up with. Friends and I were thinking of stegnography but were not sure.

Note: I just figured I would phrase it differently and make it more interesting there is nothing illegal I plan on doing, etc.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RootzWiki

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Inject something into the bootloader or add a hook onto it so it chains into something else afterwards. That's how they get recovery on locked devices like motorola makes at least (the hook part). Idk much about the how the nook functions and what you're locked out of on that level though.

·
68 Posts
We're currently locked out of everything from adb to installing non-market apps. If we can launch out an intent against the system to pull up adb though it's perfect and works.
Root is confirmed on it but's through using an sdcard and not everyone can get those. Jbird, who do you think came up with that?
Hint, it was me and a few others and I released it.

Anyway, I want this to be a 100% local device root instead of needing something external like a burned sdcard.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I didn't realize you did that sorry.

let me see if I'm following: You can't access the standard System Developer options? OEM disabled I'm guessing, but the classes are still there so you are calling the package and it loads fine, then you have adb and nonMarket/Play app installs?

you want to defeat block for nonMarket/Play install apps and that would solve your problem?

Have you thought about a Market/Play app that just launches com.android.Settings$DevelopmentSettingsActivity? Once you turn adb on you can take advantage of adb's root access to manipulate any system property using 'sed' on the settings provider.

that sounds too simple what am I missing?

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, time for a long detailed post on what we can and cannot do starting with basics.

First of all, there is no market so that instantly means no playstore apps or anything, which makes for a very sad panda.

Second, there is no adb that can be accessed through regular menus. Intent and development menu is there, but hidden with the B&N settings app.

Third, we can't install non-market apps on the device.

Fourth, all we really need is a way to launch the development menu intent and we should be able to work from there.

Fifth, once we have adb up and running it will be as simple as running a binary and then watching it tear up B&N's rules and setting them on fire after we gain root.

This thread is more of a way to "How the hell do we get adb up and running even with all these problems and even possibly load out a root payload.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
If I wanted to run a java app from my cli on my desktop computer I would run:
java ClassName

I have no clue if android includes a cli method for launching apps but that would be my only thought so far that's a pretty secure environment. :-/

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wl I remember that there was a way to launch apps from browser but I can't find it anywhere.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Else I believe you to could take a hidden feature { root kit / malware ; depending on who you talk to} of opening a few accounts and uploading simple apps with some function and some non advertised "root kit" function. But expect them to close your accounts or something similar often

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
not sure if you ever found the ActivityManager binary but if you can get to a shell or execute a shell command try this
Code:
am start -n "com.android.Settings/com.android.Settings$DevelopmentSettingsActivity"
I didn't try it but that is the command the emulator uses to launch installed apps; Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Alright, time for a long detailed post on what we can and cannot do starting with basics.

This thread is more of a way to "How the hell do we get adb up and running even with all these problems and even possibly load out a root payload.
Doesn't have any sort of built in recovery you can trigger and get access to? Mostly sounds like getting anywhere would need to be on the hardware level though as locked out as you are.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
With most locked devices you can enter recovery but not flash anything with a non OEM signatures till you replace the stock recovery not sure if that would help here because you here because he has no way of getting the root kit installed to the device.

·
that dude
283 Posts
Are there any file explorer apps on the B&N store? If so downloas it and maybe install an app that someone made from the sdcard that will am start the dev menu? (But maybe it will say you need to enable unknown sources and start the menu to enable that before it can install, maybe even giving you the option to enter the dev menu without the need for the app?)
Just throwing out a few things.

·
that dude
283 Posts
Are there any file explorer apps on the B&N store? If so downloas it and maybe install an app that someone made from the sdcard that will am start the dev menu? (But maybe it will say you need to enable unknown sources and start the menu to enable that before it can install, maybe even giving you the option to enter the dev menu without the need for the app?)
Just throwing out a few things.
Or, download the app from browser and install thru notif menu

Sent from my Jailbroken iPad 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts