Android OS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Digital Jedi
338 Posts
JBirdVegas said:
I've had transmission errors in zips before @koush thought of this so USUALLY the file will just fail to load in recovery

But checking is good policy
For things like ROM zips flashed in-recovery, it's usually not that big of a deal. As JBird said, it will very commonly just fail if the download was bad. However, if you're doing lower-level edits (like flashing a radio in HBOOT, or for that matter, fastboot flashing an HBOOT), it's not guaranteed that it will reject bad downloads. And lower-level edits (if done incorrectly) can result in perma-bricks. I believe someone said that you can get fastboot to flash a textfile as a recovery if you want, which would most certainly destroy any chance of using the recovery function again without reflashing it (which might be a pain). So, for ROM.zips, I usually don't check, but for anything lower-level, I always check. And if it's ever off, even by a digit, DONT flash it.

All the best,

-HG

· Digital Jedi
338 Posts
To settle things. Yes, it is statistically ridiculous for a calculated md5 to be 1 digit off from the expected md5. But, it is possible, and if you ever get non-matching md5s ever (even if only one digit), don't flash before asking the poster is the sum is correct and redownloading.

Safety comes first so that "sorry" never has to.

All the best,

-HG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.