Android OS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Android Apprentice
62 Posts
HalosGhost said:
And if it's ever off, even by a digit, DONT flash it.
Hah, if you ever find out your MD5 is exactly 1 digit off, it's almost guaranteed to have been a typo by the dev that posted it. If it's genuinely correct, you should go buy a lottery ticket right away because that's almost impossible to have just a single calculated number off!

For example, here's the MD5 of the 2.11.605.3 RUU leak: B633D651471CA4AA184E7EF66AD60DDF
Here's the same file with exactly ONE character deleted randomly and resaved: 3E9C37511429BC58BC114EFBDCD983B9

So yeah, if it's very close but like a single digit off, check with the dev. It's more likely they made a typo somehow.

· Android Apprentice
62 Posts
loonatik78 said:
What are you talking about? Seems like every time I turn around you're posting some jibberish that makes no sense whatsoever.
One, just because you have NO clue what I'm talking about doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. What I just posted was accurate. Also, I try not to take myself so seriously as you clearly think I should.

· Android Apprentice
62 Posts
loonatik78 said:
Well, I think everyone and their mamma knows if you open up a file, screw with a character or two, and save it, that you'll end up with a different MD5. That's kinda the point of an MD5!!! You don't make any sense because type o's would be factored into an MD5 run on ANY file. Where else would you get an MD5 if not from the file with the type o? I can absolutely promise you EVERY dev knows what an MD5 is and how to properly generate one for his finished work. Any dev worth his salt knows if you edit so much as a single character, a new MD5 is required. You make it sound like if it's wrong it's probably some sloppy dev out there fat-fingering his keyboard. That's RARELY the case. I'm serious because this can mean the difference between bricking your device or not if you're flashing a radio. You're example was nonsensical, unless your point was to illustrate what a corrupted file MD5 might look like.

I'm not looking for friction here. I'm looking to just provide solid, useful information. Clearly I'm not the only one that is thoroughly confused by the usefulness of the "information" you've posted.
The point has been missed. My point wasn't that devs are sloppy and make clumsy mistakes all the time. My point was that if you ever do see an MD5 that is incredibly close to what you were expecting to see, it's more likely a typo than a corrupt download and that you should inquire with the dev and/or others that have downloaded the file. My reasoning for talking about modifying a single character in a large file that was >400MB was to demonstrate that even with something as minuscule as one character off, the whole MD5 will be altered and that if you have a very very close MD5 but not identical, it was a human error, not a bad download. Yes, I agree, you can brick your phone with a bad download. But I also am trying to point out that sometimes it's best to inquire with others than to assume you were the only one receiving a "bad" MD5 hash.

Also, this wasn't an effort to say someone else was wrong. This was to add to understanding that MD5s are calculated on the whole file (or to be more accurate, the whole data). I didn't mean this to turn into a pissing contest. I fully accept that my peen is the smallest. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.