Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone wants miui but since it's not going to happen anytime soon devs why not do like china did and creaye a miui like interface. I mean with the effort going into porting this over it seem like it would be better to just create a better American version

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah if i had the knowledge I would try but I mean is china really that much smarter than us that they can do something we can't I don't believe that

·
The GMan
113 Posts
Oh lawd

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
50 Posts
Cause we're 'Merica and we're awesome. Nah I'm just messing with you. I'm sure it's not very hard just no one has had the drive or motivation to want to do it.

·
Android Lover
582 Posts
Team bamf got the miui launcher to work on the fascinate which I though was really cool. I wonder if that it possible here.

·
Android Apprentice
112 Posts
I want to reply but at the same time I really don't:

The reason we have ports and all of that is because the devices they have over in China from HTC and Moto are identical if not renamed for US carriers. The Thunderbolt is the first of its kind with its dual 3G/LTE, 3G/1X radio so proper ports are hard to do because the developers have to build a special RIL just for this device and just for this ROM, if you look at other devices with just a 3G radio you can see they get ports very quickly because it's not new.

·
Android Lover
1,296 Posts
You have to realize the difference between the port guys and the MIUI team. MIUI isn't just something cobbled together by hobbyists, it's a full friggin' UI suite developed by a big programming team who ONLY does MIUI. It'd be like trying to make our own Sense or Motoblur from scratch.

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If we have people who are able to port then why not create. I mean its not gonna be quick but I mean in the end well have something we can call ours that we won't have to beg to get help with our own thing and all the people saying it's too hard that's gonna drive the devs away from giving it a try.

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plus there are many programmer's who should love to partake in such a massive indevor if they see the worth of the outcome

·
Just here for teh bewbs
846 Posts
android starts as it comes from AOSP
companies, individuals, and groups of hackers modify it creating their versions.

HTC calls their version Sense
Motorola calls theirs Blur
I call mine OMFG
Cyanogen calls his CyanogenMod

we do create. just not on the same level, because like he said. they aren't a group of hackers who do this for fun.

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know but think if a group decided to take on this project and open source it the code could be shared, modified and so much more. I mean it would take like 8 devs and dedicated to the project and like 6 months of hard work and hope lol i know it could be achieved

·
Former #1 troll.
1,465 Posts
ive considered asking a group of devs & themers to come together and create a balls to wall, all in one rom for the masses. imagine it, part aosp, part sense and part miui.... could it happen, yes.

also if you want your phone to look like miui, go to the market and search for a launcher called QQlauncher, it's the closet you can get.

·
Android Lover
1,296 Posts
Jallen156 said:
I know but think if a group decided to take on this project and open source it the code could be shared, modified and so much more. I mean it would take like 8 devs and dedicated to the project and like 6 months of hard work and hope lol i know it could be achieved
Do you really understand what you're asking? For a group of people to spend months of hard work for no pay to create, from the ground up, a UI system to compete with what's been created by entire software teams.

See here's the thing. Are you familiar with Half-Life 2 mods? Nightmare House and the like? That's what we have now. We have mods of existing systems. They aren't that different from the bases upon which they're made, mostly tweaked and modified to suit various tastes.

Now imagine someone comes up and says "Hey, since no one can make a good version of Goldeneye as an HL2 mod, why doesn't anyone program it from scratch?" That's basically what this is.

·
Former #1 troll.
1,465 Posts
SomeGuyDude said:
Do you really understand what you're asking? For a group of people to spend months of hard work for no pay to create, from the ground up, a UI system to compete with what's been created by entire software teams.

See here's the thing. Are you familiar with Half-Life 2 mods? Nightmare House and the like? That's what we have now. We have mods of existing systems. They aren't that different from the bases upon which they're made, mostly tweaked and modified to suit various tastes.

Now imagine someone comes up and says "Hey, since no one can make a good version of Goldeneye as an HL2 mod, why doesn't anyone program it from scratch?" That's basically what this is.
the dude is just frustrated that the miui port is taking soo long. it sucks that the miui team is not open source from what i understand.

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I totally understand but first off. Tons of people would donate let's be honest almost all android phone users spanning many companies states and continents would chip in on funds or technical support if just one group started building a team

·
Average Android
201 Posts
Ok, let's put this into perspective for you Jallen, because it still seems that you don't understand what you are asking for here.

There is a big difference between CyanogenMod or Sense/Blur/MIUI: Time. Most of the group on CyanogenMod probably put in a hour here, a hour there, and probably get a few hours of work done in a week.Now, multiply that into supporting different devices, fixing bugs, etc, most of their time is spent. People at HTC, Moto or MIUI probably have an unknown (but probably a pretty good size) amount of people as much as 8 hours a day into their skins.

I guess there could also be another difference between the two: Money. The workers at HTC, Moto, or MIUI get payed for their 8 hour days. They don't have to also work real jobs in order to have money, they get a paycheck at the end of the week. The CyanogenMod (or any other hacker community rom) only get donations, and more often then not they are very scarce and any of that money goes into a new device for a developer to support a new device, for the community. That means they also have to have real life jobs, which takes away from their time to develop. Maybe as little as a hour or two a week.

These just make it nearly impossible for anyone to put enough time, for no paycheck, into something like this to get anywhere, even if you have a huge (a la CyanogeMod) size group.

I hope this put how huge of an undertaking this would be into perspective, and how what you are asking for is outrageous for our community. It really just isn't possible.

·
Android Lover
1,296 Posts
It baffles me that Jallen isn't getting it. I keep trying analogies but it's like they're not sinking in.

Let me try another one. Let's say you take your car to a body shop because you want to put a kit on and get some bigger wheels. Basically you want your Honda to look like a Corvette. It doesn't come out right, and the wheels don't fit, so you ask the guy to build a Corvette chassis by hand and stick all of your car's internal parts into it.

Do you see the difference? Porting/modding means working with what's already there, and even THAT can take ages. Look at how long it takes for CyanogenMOD to land on non-AOSP devices. Asking people to PROGRAM AN ENTIRE UI SUITE in their spare time is ridiculous.

·
Average Android
80 Posts
Jallen156 said:
lol indeed.

·
Android Lover
1,296 Posts
Yeah. We haven't been able to get a working RIL, but eight guys could bang out THE ENTIRE THING in six months.

If the devs had that kind of manpower and output rate, the RIL situation would have been solved already since the "solution" is in fact to re-do it from the ground up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts