Android OS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Sir?
80 Posts
You are wonderful! Lol, I've seen this question brought up so many times and here you have a perfect, flashable answer. Kudos man, I may try this for the heck of it on my own phone we'll see, I've linked some members at XDA over here who were looking to do just this so hopefully we can get you some more feedback.

I know I could look at your zip and everything, but I'm no dev so it'll be a million times easier to ask: how do you go about removing the phone apk and everything without causing process FC's and such? Any way to get a more detailed explanation of what all goes on with this thing?

· Sir?
80 Posts
Yes, it gets rid of unnecessary apps too, and you don't have to worry about turning on wifi on every boot.
Or emergency calls, none of that nonsense

*EDIT:

Ok, I installed it on my DesireZ running a CM7 "AOSP" ROM, and upon first reboot received a message about the mms process FC'ing. Upon subsequent reboots I did not get the message, so it did work out fine. However, a poster over at XDA is having a couple of processes FC on a MIUI build. I don't know if it's persistent across reboots yet, poster won't be back home until after the weekend, but I thought it strange that he would have more issue than I and so I just wanted to go on and post.

I'll be back as soon as I've either been able to replicate his problem exactly or he's posted back.

**EDIT:

Ok, on MIUI.us after applying the zip, the mms app force closes every reboot. Also doesn't look like the phone, mms, or contacts apps have even been touched. I'll go delving into the ROM and your zip, see if I can't notice what's up.

***EDIT:

On this ROM at least, it's Mms.apk as opposed to Messaging.apk. I don't see a Phone.apk, but the dialer is still present. What about TelocationProvider.apk, any idea what significance that has to the system? No need to worry about it?

· Sir?
80 Posts
Answered my own question haha, the telocation provider apk apparently helps emergency personnel locate where your device is located.

Do I have your permission to make any changes I see fit to your file and to redistribute it? All credit to you of course, I'll just be copy/pasting and renaming: I don't even know Java yet :D

· Sir?
80 Posts
What is wrong with the way it is? Works fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Not for MIUI.us. Really the only problem is Messaging.apk is actually Mms.apk on MIUI, so his OG file wasn't removing the messaging app. I also added two lines to also remove TelocationProvider.apk because I don't see why you'd need emergency personnel to locate you when you're not even connecting to cellular networks.

Also, removing the Phone.apk does not actually remove the system's dialer. Not a big deal, but I'm looking in to how to get rid of it. May just have to not remove it and freeze it with Titanium Backup instead.

*EDIT:

Here is my modified file for MIUI. Thanks so much jellybellys, both for the great zip and the information of how these flashable zips work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8zs933gjmxiq6l/jellybellys-mod-wifionly-MIUI.zip

Reactions: jellybellys

· Sir?
80 Posts
Nothing went wrong, in clockworkmod it says install complete but then when I reboot it everything is still including the apps
Check the /system/app directory and see if maybe the apk's don't have different/strange names. I would think CM7 would be the same across the board though, unless whoever developed your ROM did not go the stock route.

Seems that the stock launcher of MIUI is to blame for the app not completely vanishing, I think modifying the framework would then be the only way to get this to work exactly right.

· Sir?
80 Posts
An interesting Mod some of you might be interested in for your phones as well. Decided to post here instead of starting a new thread as jellybellys' mod is perfect for this.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1481967
This mod allow you to run any deactivated phone as a handset as long as you're on wifi. I'm sure someone will find it useful.
For this to work out you'd have to actually not remove the Phone.apk wouldn't you? I'm still looking for a way to actually eradicate the phone/dialer app from MIUI, have been pretty unsuccessful so far. But I also haven't tried too hard lol, not enough time in the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts