Android OS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 19 Posts

· Banned
2,097 Posts
Well I was experimenting around, and here it is. A flashable zip that makes your cell phone not a cell phone. Great for turning an old phone into a media player or something.

What it does:
  • Removes unnecessary apps (Messaging.apk, Phone.apk, TelephonyProvider.apk, Mms.apk, TelocationProvider.apk)
  • Completely turns off cell radio on bootup
  • Installs the radiooptions binary in case your ROM does not include it
  • Prevents emergency calls and 911 calls (good for giving your kids your old phone to play with)
How to install:
  1. MAKE A NANDROID!
  2. Flash zip
  3. Reboot
  4. ...
  5. Profit?
Download:
v2 (5/15/12): View attachment jellybellys-mod-wifionly-2.zip
Old Versions:
v1 (137 Downloads): http://jellybeangame...-wifionly-1.zip

If you yike it, click LIKE!
On the other hand, if you don yike it, reply below and I can help you :)

Attachments

· Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So this disable emergency calling? Always afraid my son will hit that button.

When i can buy my son another phone to be his ipod touch basically. I will surely be installing this on the phone. Would it also increase battery life on a phone not on a plan to begin with?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Yes. This completely turns off all cellular communications, so you can't make emergency calls.
And as far as battery life goes, even if you don't have a plan, the phone would be still searching for a tower to connect to if you have the radio on, and it eats the battery. Installing this mod turns off the radio, so it saves a ton of battery life. :)

· Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are wonderful! Lol, I've seen this question brought up so many times and here you have a perfect, flashable answer. Kudos man, I may try this for the heck of it on my own phone we'll see, I've linked some members at XDA over here who were looking to do just this so hopefully we can get you some more feedback.

I know I could look at your zip and everything, but I'm no dev so it'll be a million times easier to ask: how do you go about removing the phone apk and everything without causing process FC's and such? Any way to get a more detailed explanation of what all goes on with this thing?
In the zip file, open up META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script in a text editor. That's how it removes the apk's and stuff.

· Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nothing went wrong, in clockworkmod it says install complete but then when I reboot it everything is still including the apps
Don't really have any nook devices to be testing on, so your best bet might be to manually remove them using Root Explorer or something (I think you may be able to remove them in titanium backup too... not sure)

· Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
An interesting Mod some of you might be interested in for your phones as well. Decided to post here instead of starting a new thread as jellybellys' mod is perfect for this.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1481967
This mod allow you to run any deactivated phone as a handset as long as you're on wifi. I'm sure someone will find it useful.
Good info. Nice if you want to turn your old phone into a voip home phone :)

· Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
unfortunately, radiooptions binary is not there at /system/bin even though your rom said install completed.
any other ideas? would I get better chances if I upgrade to Gingerbread? frankly speaking I don't care what version
of Android OS on my phone, as long as I can disable cell radio - it's the ultimate goal. maybe you can recommend
custom rom?
I am not a galaxy S owner, so I can't quite recommend a rom, but there are many choices here: http://rootzwiki.com/forum/273-i9000-development/
If you are still running stock froyo, that may cause issues for the radiooptions binary. Try a CM7 build or an ICS build.

· Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You may have to mount /system in CWM before you flash the mod. We have to do that on the Charge for most of our add-ons.
As long as busybox is installed (it is in CWM by default) the system partition should be mounted for you:
Code:
<br />
show_progress(1, 15);<br />
ui_print("Wifi Only Mode");<br />
ui_print("For any rom, any device");<br />
ui_print("Mod developed by Jellybellys");<br />
ui_print(" ");<br />
ui_print("Mounting system...");<br />
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");<br />
show_progress(2, 15);<br />
ui_print("Installing radio off mod...");<br />
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");<br />