Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Sir?
80 Posts
What is wrong with the way it is? Works fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Not for MIUI.us. Really the only problem is Messaging.apk is actually Mms.apk on MIUI, so his OG file wasn't removing the messaging app. I also added two lines to also remove TelocationProvider.apk because I don't see why you'd need emergency personnel to locate you when you're not even connecting to cellular networks.

Also, removing the Phone.apk does not actually remove the system's dialer. Not a big deal, but I'm looking in to how to get rid of it. May just have to not remove it and freeze it with Titanium Backup instead.

*EDIT:

Here is my modified file for MIUI. Thanks so much jellybellys, both for the great zip and the information of how these flashable zips work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8zs933gjmxiq6l/jellybellys-mod-wifionly-MIUI.zip

Reactions: jellybellys

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
I know this says any "phone" but I just wanted to share this. I tried flashing this to both my Nook Color running cm7 and my Nook Tablet running cm7 and sadly it didnt work.

Before you ask why I would want to flash this to a tablet here is the answer. The port of cm7 was originally for a phone so even though the tablets dont have cell service the annoying apps and phone settings still appear.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Released an updated version with support for all roms, including MIUI now. Check the OP for the download.
@probbiethe1: What went wrong?

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nothing went wrong, in clockworkmod it says install complete but then when I reboot it everything is still including the apps
Don't really have any nook devices to be testing on, so your best bet might be to manually remove them using Root Explorer or something (I think you may be able to remove them in titanium backup too... not sure)

·
Sir?
80 Posts
Nothing went wrong, in clockworkmod it says install complete but then when I reboot it everything is still including the apps
Check the /system/app directory and see if maybe the apk's don't have different/strange names. I would think CM7 would be the same across the board though, unless whoever developed your ROM did not go the stock route.

Seems that the stock launcher of MIUI is to blame for the app not completely vanishing, I think modifying the framework would then be the only way to get this to work exactly right.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Check the /system/app directory and see if maybe the apk's don't have different/strange names. I would think CM7 would be the same across the board though, unless whoever developed your ROM did not go the stock route.

Seems that the stock launcher of MIUI is to blame for the app not completely vanishing, I think modifying the framework would then be the only way to get this to work exactly right.
Thanks for the tips I will have to try them out and see what I come up with

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been looking for something like this for a while. My only reservation would be, how do I go about undoing this if need be?

I've been using my old Galaxy S with a 64GB card as my main PMP since my Zune died and have been using the app "Network" to disable the radio. The issue is I have to redo this at every boot and if I forget, the battery life is shortened significantly since it's looking for a signal it's not able to find. This looks like it will resolve that issue but this device is also my backup phone should anything happen to my GNex. Hopefully I never have to undo it, but how easy is it to undo it if necessary?

·
Registered
5 Posts
well i'd probably rather not have to reflash to undo it but i went ahead and flashed it anyway. after thinking about it, this is really only removing some system apps, so in theory i should be able to find them again online to reinstall with root explorer or something if needed.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Easy as flashing another Rom on to it. Or a backup. It changes nothing permanent on the phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Some roms don't format /system while flashing. In order to go about undoing it, you would have to format /system, then reflash your current or a different rom.

·
Registered
312 Posts
An interesting Mod some of you might be interested in for your phones as well. Decided to post here instead of starting a new thread as jellybellys' mod is perfect for this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481967
This mod allow you to run any deactivated phone as a handset as long as you're on wifi. I'm sure someone will find it useful.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
An interesting Mod some of you might be interested in for your phones as well. Decided to post here instead of starting a new thread as jellybellys' mod is perfect for this.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1481967
This mod allow you to run any deactivated phone as a handset as long as you're on wifi. I'm sure someone will find it useful.
Good info. Nice if you want to turn your old phone into a voip home phone :)

·
Sir?
80 Posts

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1481967
For this to work out you'd have to actually not remove the Phone.apk wouldn't you? I'm still looking for a way to actually eradicate the phone/dialer app from MIUI, have been pretty unsuccessful so far. But I also haven't tried too hard lol, not enough time in the day.

·
Registered
312 Posts
For this to work out you'd have to actually not remove the Phone.apk wouldn't you? I'm still looking for a way to actually eradicate the phone/dialer app from MIUI, have been pretty unsuccessful so far. But I also haven't tried too hard lol, not enough time in the day.
Yeah, you'd still need the phone apk, but you could simply adapt jellybelly's zip to not get rid of that or re-install it yourself just for this purpose. No biggie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to create an account just to thank jellybellys for this, I had a phone that the cell was causing random reboots so this is just the thing to be able to use the phone as a pmp.

works great on my old HTC aria.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I had to create an account just to thank jellybellys for this, I had a phone that the cell was causing random reboots so this is just the thing to be able to use the phone as a pmp.

works great on my old HTC aria.

Thanks
Glad to hear I helped and thank you for the feedback :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I flashed rom on my Galaxy S. I don't see anything changed. How do I know cellular comm disabled? Any visual indication?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts