Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Music Composer
164 Posts
More to be added as I find them or you guys submit them!

Insert any of these lines anywhere in your build.prop file located in /system and reboot.

Disable error checking. Gives a nice speed boost.
Code:
<br />
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0<br />
This one sets the max framerate of the system to 240 fps. (Well beyond the screen's ability to render. I did notice a nice difference in smoothness.)
Code:
<br />
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=240<br />
This one does nothing for performance, but does remove the USB debugging icon. (USB Debugging is not disabled)
Code:
<br />
persist.adb.notify=0<br />
All of the above tweaks will work on any device. Though I should mention that windowsmgr should be set to 60 or 120 on non dual core devices depending on the age of the device.

-------------------------------------

The tweaks below apply to the Galaxy Nexus Only CDMA/GSM

This will remove software (CPU) rendering and use full PowerVR SGX 540 (GPU) rendering
Code:
<br />
Remove first line from egl.cfg and remove libGLES_android.so library. which are located in /system/lib/egl/<br />

· PROUD MEMBER OF AXIOM FAMILY
113 Posts
THANKS .... I hope
.... just hit reboot. We'll see ...

More to be added as I find them or you guys submit them!

Insert any of these lines anywhere in your build.prop file located in /system

Disable error checking. Gives a nice speed boost.
Code:
<br />
ro.kernel.checkjni=0<br />
This one sets the max framerate of the system to 240 fps. (Well beyond the screen's ability to render. I did notice a nice difference in smoothness.)
Code:
<br />
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=240<br />
More to come...

Both of the above tweaks will work on any device. Though I should mention that windowsmgr should be set to 60 or 120 on non dual core devices depending on the age of the device.

Reactions: stan

· Android Apprentice
119 Posts
Increasing the framerate will chew up battery life!
This... why push it so hard? 80 fps is indistinguishable from higher values to the human eye. Not to mention I don't know the refresh rate of the display, it may not even be able to handle it. I would definitely tone that down for myself, but hey, to each their own.

· Supporting Member
253 Posts
Not sure I agree with this... I've had my framerate increased since the first week. My battery life is outstanding.

Liquid had this mod on the Tbolt and his rom had arguably the best battery life that phone ever seen.

· Music Composer
164 Posts
Did you not see where I wrote:
I clearly stated that the screen will not display 240 fps.

This... why push it so hard? 80 fps is indistinguishable from higher values to the human eye. Not to mention I don't know the refresh rate of the display, it may not even be able to handle it. I would definitely tone that down for myself, but hey, to each their own.
That is unproven.

Here ya go: http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html and http://www.100fps.co..._humans_see.htm

And what do you mean pushing it hard? It's not FORCING the system to render that high. It's simply allowing the system to have a much higher limit on how fast it renders.

To answer your question: I set the value high for cpu/gpu headroom as I'm sure there is some vsyncing going on. In theory, this should create a smoother experience.

No it won't. A 1280 x 720 - 4.66" - HD AMOLED screen will eat up battery life. This tweak does nothing to change battery drain.

· Music Composer
164 Posts
I would add that one but, this thread was created to "Improve performance."

Not really focusing on battery life here.

Also, some of the others in there; I'm not certain if they still work on ICS.

Also noticed a typo I made. checkjni tweak was missing .android.

see OP

113 Posts
I am on Th3ory's AXIOM ROM & its stupid fast & verrrry smooth .... now that I noticed the missing part of the build.prop 'insert' & corrected it, I will lyk if I notice its influence.

I always love anyone that can back their 'sh*t' up when the haters, doubts or straight negativity, starts to fly -PROPS

**YES, it seems as though it transitions even smoother on first observation. Actually, yes ... seems to work quite well ! Transitions FASTER too ~ Like I said, its hard to notice on AXIOM, but I DEFINITELY notice performance improvement almost immediately !!

113 Posts
+1 ... among other technical "things" that my vocabulary doesnt contain to describe at this point ... I wanna say less latency as well as lag, or is that totally redundant ?!
I would say it must have done something. The lag when scrolling through the app drawer when I enter it from the home screen seems far less than normal.

· Android Apprentice
119 Posts
That is unproven.

Here ya go: http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html and http://www.100fps.co..._humans_see.htm

And what do you mean pushing it hard? It's not FORCING the system to render that high. It's simply allowing the system to have a much higher limit on how fast it renders.

To answer your question: I set the value high for cpu/gpu headroom as I'm sure there is some vsyncing going on. In theory, this should create a smoother experience.
As I said previously, to each their own. I don't mean to argue with you about it, it is very true the human eye can see 100+ fps. However, that is not at all true in every day use.

I remember reading a study in which a black screen was flashed with a white image and the flash could be detected within ~150 fps or something. But when a white screen was flashed with a black image, it could only be detected until around 70 fps. Don't quote me on the numbers or the specifics but this is the basic concept.

For actually playing games and viewing normal images on screen, I think it is pretty widely accepted that 60-80 fps is the cap. Most people cannot detect changes past that, though everyone is different and some people can (or at least claim to).

You do pose a valid point that it doesn't force the phone to render at that. My only counter to that would be to say that although it doesn't force it to, it allows it to. Reaching needlessly high fps is only going to take more system resources, due to needlessly rendering over and over again, as I'm sure you could agree with. All I was suggesting would be that some may want to use a more reasonable value, such as 80 or 100. Also, you may very well be right that vsync comes into play making both of these numbers effectively the same.

· Music Composer
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You do pose a valid point that it doesn't force the phone to render at that. My only counter to that would be to say that although it doesn't force it to, it allows it to. Reaching needlessly high fps is only going to take more system resources, due to needlessly rendering over and over again, as I'm sure you could agree with. All I was suggesting would be that some may want to use a more reasonable value, such as 80 or 100. Also, you may very well be right that vsync comes into play making both of these numbers effectively the same.
Honestly, it takes absolutely zero extra resources to do this. If anything, removing the overhead could possibly free up resources.

· Registered
628 Posts
I am on Th3ory's AXIOM ROM & its stupid fast & verrrry smooth .... now that I noticed the missing part of the build.prop 'insert' & corrected it, I will lyk if I notice its influence.

I always love anyone that can back their 'sh*t' up when the haters, doubts or straight negativity, starts to fly -PROPS

**YES, it seems as though it transitions even smoother on first observation. Actually, yes ... seems to work quite well ! Transitions FASTER too ~ Like I said, its hard to notice on AXIOM, but I DEFINITELY notice performance improvement almost immediately !!
So it really works with axiom?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 86 Posts