Android OS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

· Fearless tester of the dev'ers work
59 Posts
Ah, I see what you're saying. I doubt it will work. Bc /etc is in /system and that gets reformatted every time you flash a rom.

If it does work, that would indeed be cool.
probably right. build.prop isn't like /etc or /lib, etc.

Edit: worst case is it will stick in its' own file and you can copy/paste vs. retype

· Android Beginner
205 Posts
I just want to point out that the "windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=240" does not actually adjust the framerate, it adjust the frame response to touch. To test this out set it to "5" and the phone will still perform well graphically but the touch response will suffer.

so basically setting it higher will give you better touch response which in turn feels like smoother operation.

May just be me but for people who sketch on their phones 1200 gives some amazing results

· Music Composer
164 Posts
The windowsmgr setting defines the max number of window events the system can handle in 1 second. This also applies to the GPU. It also ignores values below 35. I am not sure what the upper limit is. Increasing touch responsiveness alone does not smooth out transitions and scrolling speed. A framerate increase does.

For touch responsiveness tweaking, there are these:

Code:
<br />
ro.min_pointer_dur<br />
debug.performance.tuning<br />

· Android Beginner
205 Posts
The windowsmgr setting defines the max number of window events the system can handle in 1 second.It also ignores values below 35.
have you tested this?

it sure seemed to have responded to 5.
This also applies to the GPU.
GPU seemed unchanged no matter what the value was changed to.

I am not sure what the upper limit is. Increasing touch responsiveness alone does not smooth out transitions and scrolling speed. A framerate increase does.
not completely true as decreasing the touch rate will cause navigating to seem jumpy but when swiping quickly the animation is smooth as can be.

I was just always under the impression that GPU fps boost could only be done through kernel adjustments

Code:
<br />
ro.min_pointer_dur<br />
debug.performance.tuning<br />
I will try these out too.

· Music Composer
164 Posts
Yes I have tested it. I am an old OG Droid dev. Framerate increased by a significant amount when I was working on MIUI.

It should also be understood that the GNEX already runs very fast. Some folks just may not see the difference at all.

· Music Composer
164 Posts
Just by eye. But it was a very significant increase. If you ever used Gingerbread MIUI on the Droid before I added the tweak you would definitely see the difference.

By my estimates the Droid was getting 20-30 fps. By setting windowsmgr to 60, I saw a very large jump in performance. 40-60 fps by estimation.

If you play PC games at all, you know there is a very distinguishable difference in 20-30 and 40-60. It is very easy to see with the naked eye.
But can we not hijack the thread?

· Music Composer
164 Posts
No one said YOU were hi jacking the thread. I said can WE not hi jack it? I included myself. The thread was in no way about whether or not windowsmgr does or does not increase FPS. It was about increasing performance in general. To go off on that journey would indeed be hi jacking.

I also did not say it would DOUBLE FPS. I said it would remove the overhead. You disagree. Noted. That's your right. I do see a developer tag under my name so, I guess I should probably know what I'm talking about. But what do I know?

Mods, can I ask for a thread clean up?

· Android Beginner
12 Posts
I've never modified build.prop before, so I gave it a whirl with these. I'm watching to see if there is any performance changes. FYI, I'm running AOKP m1.

And if these do offer performance enhancements, why wouldn't ROM devs include then by default?

272 Posts
unless i'm doing something wrong and/or maybe i'm a noob.... but the edit of build.prop doesnt seem to stay saved.

unlocked and rooted stock
Make sure you mount r/w before trying to edit... if it's read only you won't be able to change anything.

· Registered
58 Posts
Implemented both of these and saw a HUGE impact on overall smoothness and speed of animations.

ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=240

If you are a skeptic, flick open your notifications bar (pull down the bar from the top all the way to the bottom) and make note of the animation. Then add in the code above, save, reboot, and retest. For me it was slightly choppy before and extremely fast and fluid afterwards. I'm sure there are plenty of other areas that I'll see improvement but that's the one thing I noticed right off the bat.

Thanks alot dev!

41 - 60 of 86 Posts