Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
89 Posts
Hi All,

I have fat fingers and I text a lot
!

Just adjusted a few values in LatinIME.apk to suit my needs thought I should share with some others with normal sized hands.

All credit to CM team and @CVPCS <<< Dude if you were a girl I would marry you..Thank you for all your hardwork..loving the rom

>>>LatinIME.apk<<<

View attachment 76

UPDATE: So I have made a .zip package for this install so you can just flash it after you update to a new nightly

Also I made a few changes..the portrait sized keyboard is now the same size as the stock keyboard that came with the DX and the landscape keyboard is a tiny bit smaller so you can have two lines when typing a message.

Instructions:
1. BACK UP your old LatinIME.apk from /system/app folder..just incase
2. Reboot into recovery
3. Install LatinIME.zip
4. Reboot
5. Enjoy

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Awesome, thanks for this, what values did you change? Unless I flash this, will it change when I switch to a new theme, or do I need to re-edit the LatinIME.apk each time?

·
Android Apprentice
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
macpro88 said:
Awesome, thanks for this, what values did you change? Unless I flash this, will it change when I switch to a new theme, or do I need to re-edit the LatinIME.apk each time?
After decompiling the APK using apktool, go into the Res folder > values > dimensions.XML you really only need to change the first line for size..same for landscape but that is located in value-land folder..recompile and then using 7zip move over just the resource file and replace the one in the original apk because the one you compile will not be signed..I have switched to a couple of different themes and the keyboard stays the same size..albeit none of them really changed the keyboard much except for color. You will however have to move over the apk once the new version is released

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
dhaliwal925 said:
After decompiling the APK using apktool, go into the Res folder > values > dimensions.XML you really only need to change the first line for size..same for landscape but that is located in value-land folder..recompile and then using 7zip move over just the resource file and replace the one in the original apk because the one you compile will not be signed..I have switched to a couple of different themes and the keyboard stays the same size..albeit none of them really changed the keyboard much except for color. You will however have to move over the apk once the new version is released
Sweet, thank you very much!

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Hmmm... It looks like the default input menu has been moved to another place in the settings or something. For me it isn't in language & keyboard settings. Now I am stuck with swype. Anyone else have this problem?
Also I forgot to backup the apk, just in case does anyone else have it?

Edit: I got to enable this keyboard through the Swiftkey X beta keyboard installer, works fine

Edit 2: Hold down in any text input and choose input method

·
Android Apprentice
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dda5 said:
Is there a way to make a flashable zip for this?
To tell you the truth man I really am not that well versed in the whole packaging a zip.. I'll ask around and see if any devs can help me. I am going to be updating the apk to the latest nightly tomorrow to include the changes made :)

·
Pastafarian
125 Posts
Does anyone know what the correct permissions for this apk would be? I tried fixing permissions and it doesn't show up, even under input method. I figure I can just change the permissions manually.

Update: Figured out the permissions, rw-r--r-- for everyone who needs them!

·
Android Apprentice
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay. I finally figured out how to make a update .zip for the new recovery. I used razorloves update-binary and updater-script to get my zip working...so a BIG thanks to him!

@Guvery thanks for the link man that got me started but i guess you need an update-binary file to use the new recovery and I still have no idea how to write that :-/

OP udated Enjoy!!

·
Android Apprentice
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bretth18 said:
this is tight, but i hate how big the vibration is
Actually you can fix that by going into cyanogenmod settings and then input and haptic feedback I have my up and down set to 5up and 10 down..which I think is appropriate ..mess with them let me know what you like :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.