Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The GMan
113 Posts
Probably. Make a nandroid backup, then try it.

Edit - I forgot, I user it and it works. I also just turned it of and back on and it all worlds like a champ on 2.11

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk

·
Average Android
120 Posts
It was working for me on the latest build but I messed something up along the line and my install required a wipe, not sure if this was causing it or not.

On another note, glad to see Adryn back on the scene. Always dropping mods and ROMs I can't find anywhere else.

·
Average Android
143 Posts
sorry i didnt know if he meant on bamf or on gingeritis but i guess its the same if they use the same base.

·
Android Tinker-er
109 Posts
Does anybody ever look inside the update.zips that they download?

Inside of the crt_animation.zip, you'll notice it contains a file named services.jar. You may also notice that it is a DeOdexed services.jar file. I don't know if any of you realize this, but Gingeritis is an odexed ROM, not deodexed.

On top of that, services.jar is a fairly proprietary to the ROM from which it derives. Flashing they services.jar from a different build onto another could cause significant issues if there are enough differences between each build. If different enough, it would be to the point of the phone not booting up.

Based on the success feedback from those who have tried flashing adrenylyne's update package for 2.10.605.1 onto a 2.11 based ROM (ie. Gingeritis), and taking into consideration that Gingeritis Beta VIII is based off of 2.11.605.0, one can conclude that the differences in the services.jar from the 2.10 and 2.11 build are minimal, at best. That makes sense, being that 2.11 is likely a small incremental update from 2.10. Otherwise, we would be seeing reports of issues from those who have flashed the update package.

However, as much as it seems that everything is working ok for those that have flashed the services.jar file from 2.10 onto a 2.11 build, and even being DeOdexed (while the rest of the ROM remains Odexed), I might add, I won't be flashing it on my phone, and personally wouldnt recommend it to anyone else. As much as I'd like to have the crt animations, I won't be going the route of flashing the 2.10 services.jar file onto my 2.11 ROM.

I have actually embarked on a mission to fully DeOdex this ROM (Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Beta VIII) so that I can recompile the proprietary services.jar file from it, and re-enable the crt animations from there, then flash the ROM onto my phone, fully DeOdexed, and ready for much more theming.

I am nearly done DeOdexing the ROM, with the exception of 4 system apks that I have not yet been able to figure out (Can't seem to find the proper dependent jars of the BOOTCLASSPATHs that the apks are looking for).

I've got my feelers out there to get some help/advice from those that are far more knowledgeable and seasoned than I in this department, but so far, nothing is turning up, unfortunately.

If anyone else knows a bit on the subject matter (DeOdexing), and wants to help in the cause, let me know, and we'll see what we can come up with.

I'll update if I can get any answers on this.

·
Average Android
143 Posts
Boostjunky said:
Does anybody ever look inside the update.zips that they download?

Inside of the crt_animation.zip, you'll notice it contains a file named services.jar. You may also notice that it is a DeOdexed services.jar file. I don't know if any of you realize this, but Gingeritis is an odexed ROM, not deodexed.

On top of that, services.jar is a fairly proprietary to the ROM from which it derives. Flashing they services.jar from a different build onto another could cause significant issues if there are enough differences between each build. If different enough, it would be to the point of the phone not booting up.

Based on the success feedback from those who have tried flashing adrenylyne's update package for 2.10.605.1 onto a 2.11 based ROM (ie. Gingeritis), and taking into consideration that Gingeritis Beta VIII is based off of 2.11.605.0, one can conclude that the differences in the services.jar from the 2.10 and 2.11 build are minimal, at best. That makes sense, being that 2.11 is likely a small incremental update from 2.10. Otherwise, we would be seeing reports of issues from those who have flashed the update package.

However, as much as it seems that everything is working ok for those that have flashed the services.jar file from 2.10 onto a 2.11 build, and even being DeOdexed (while the rest of the ROM remains Odexed), I might add, I won't be flashing it on my phone, and personally wouldnt recommend it to anyone else. As much as I'd like to have the crt animations, I won't be going the route of flashing the 2.10 services.jar file onto my 2.11 ROM.

I have actually embarked on a mission to fully DeOdex this ROM (Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Beta VIII) so that I can recompile the proprietary services.jar file from it, and re-enable the crt animations from there, then flash the ROM onto my phone, fully DeOdexed, and ready for much more theming.

I am nearly done DeOdexing the ROM, with the exception of 4 system apks that I have not yet been able to figure out (Can't seem to find the proper dependent jars of the BOOTCLASSPATHs that the apks are looking for).

I've got my feelers out there to get some help/advice from those that are far more knowledgeable and seasoned than I in this department, but so far, nothing is turning up, unfortunately.

If anyone else knows a bit on the subject matter (DeOdexing), and wants to help in the cause, let me know, and we'll see what we can come up with.

I'll update if I can get any answers on this.
thanks!
i was about to flash to then new gingeritis VIII and flash this but then read this
ill be waiting for when you've got a crt animation mod :]

·
ROM Developer in the Making
196 Posts
Hey so this mod Doesnt work with the newer 2.11.605.3 base and there is so much differnet inside of services.jar that I couldnt find where you made your changes to try and port it. I know you are busy but if you have notes I would love to port into the new framework (with credit to you OBVIOUSLY) for some other ROMs out there.

Can you provide any more info?

Thanks!

·
Developer
475 Posts
This will not work with 2.11.605.5 if you decompile services.jar and diff against 2.11.605.3 you will see quite a few changes implemented due to bug fixes from Verizon/HTC. Anyone is free to rip out the services.jar from my current RR 3.0.1 release and use it I've already ported to the official OTA however if your current Rom has altered services.jar for any custom mod then you may lose feature(s).

·
Developer
475 Posts
RedRumy3 said:
Is anyone willing to do this for 2.11.605.5 stock rooted rom? I will attempt to try it on my own but if anyone already did it, please post :)
Take it from my Rom that's the only mod I've made so far to services.jar so it will work on a stock rooted Rom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts