Android Ninja
337 Posts
Mod Type:: Mod

Difficulty:: Very Easy

Mod Status:: Beta

Apply In:: CWM Recovery

Requires Root:: Yes

Source::
I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Flash at your own risk!

Introducing Tablet Mode, these zips are addons for the most popular ROMs for the LTE Galaxy Nexus. These zips will turn your phone into a mini, 4.65 inch tablet. And it's pretty awesome :)
Everything works in tablet mode with these packages, the only bugs found so far is force closing when going into Chrome's settings.

I'm on a terrible connection, Jelly Bean Tablet ROM is being a pain to upload, will try again tomorrow

ICS ROMs and their zips:

AOKP Beta 38: http://www.mediafire...jvrzkq0qlkcb39v

AOKP Milestone 5: http://www.mediafire...7fi8c6377syv65d

Gummy 1.0.1: http://www.mediafire...xn58eya92wbqfep

BlackICE 38: http://www.mediafire...jvrzkq0qlkcb39v (yes, same zip as AOKP)

CM9: http://www.mediafire...qybmy58j6bsaojg or go use ParanoidAndroid

Stock 4.0.4: http://www.mediafire...js3lcocpb7vjocn

RootzBoat 8.2: http://www.mediafire...z92rzusckh79hbh

ICSourcery 2.0: What the frick did these devs do to mess up tablet mode?! lol

Liquid 1.4: They removed important files, I can try and fix it but no Liquid support for now

160 DPI phone.apk zip: http://www.mediafire...awv5l05webpz76a
(flash after the above zips and manually change your dpi to 160)

Change log:
Yeah screw change logs, I make them better when I can relax

Install Instructions:
1. Download the correct zip for the ROM you're running
2. Boot into ClockworkMod, flash the zip from your sd card
3. Reboot your phone
4. Dance. Or not, that's just a suggestion really

I recommend going into Settings>Display and changing the font size to either large or huge to make text more readable.

Note: If you flash this and have some strange problem, give it a reboot and wipe data. If that doesn't help, feel free to post your problem. We're all friends here, no being mean :)

Credit:
B1rdm4n, I looked through his modded market to create mine. I didn't copy his, but his was a major... let's say inspiration lol
Patrick: Tablet mod was his idea, I just made it into a nice little zip :)

Screenshots:

·
All android, All the time
277 Posts
Is this togglable or once you flash it do you have it for good until you flash something else? Very interesting concept for sure.

·
Android Ninja
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this togglable or once you flash it do you have it for good until you flash something else? Very interesting concept for sure.
If you want to go back to the phone ui, you can flash the original rom's zip again... but another flash to toggle between it is a good idea lol

·
277 Posts
If you want to go back to the phone ui, you can flash the original rom's zip again... but another flash to toggle between it is a good idea lol
I know this requires about 200% more work but it would be sweet to have it as an options toggle like hiding the navigation bar is for example in AOKP. Might be worth getting together with Romann or someone similar to find their thoughts on it. I like the concept though.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
which particular setting are you changing? I've been looking at maybe doing something integrated into AOKP, but the first couple of stabs I took at it kept FC'ing on SystemUI.

·
Android Ninja
337 Posts
which particular setting are you changing? I've been looking at maybe doing something integrated into AOKP, but the first couple of stabs I took at it kept FC'ing on SystemUI.
I've been trying to write a script to do this (all you have to do is add the line 'ro.build.characteristics=tablet', change the density to 192, and add the line 'qemu.hw.mainkeys=1' under that) but I don't think a script is capable of editing read only lines in the build.prop. So I'm kinda stuck lol.
And the modded market to spoof 320 dpi, and a phone.apk from a wgva device to keep it from force closing.
A toggle would be awesome, but I honestly think it might be harder than expected with all the apk switching...

·
Android Beginner
295 Posts
Great work CW. Now maybe the GN world can enjoy what we have been enjoying and not have to worry about editing anything!

If anyone can get a phone apk to work at a 160 density, we will love you! lol

·
Android Beginner
295 Posts
I've been trying to write a script to do this (all you have to do is add the line 'ro.build.characteristics=tablet', change the density to 192, and add the line 'qemu.hw.mainkeys=1' under that) but I don't think a script is capable of editing read only lines in the build.prop. So I'm kinda stuck lol.
And the modded market to spoof 320 dpi, and a phone.apk from a wgva device to keep it from force closing.
A toggle would be awesome, but I honestly think it might be harder than expected with all the apk switching...
Question, is the line ro.build.characteristics=tablet even necessary? Editing the density has been enough to get me into tablet mode and removing the hardware keys stops the force closing. So what does this additional line actually do?

·
Android Ninja
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question, is the line ro.build.characteristics=tablet even necessary? Editing the density has been enough to get me into tablet mode and removing the hardware keys stops the force closing. So what does this additional line actually do?
It might be useless, but part of me remembers that value being used by some apps to switch to tablet mode. So, it might not be needed, but it doesn't hurt lol

·
Android Apprentice
120 Posts
You have to remount system. build.prop is read only at boot, since the whole /system partition is read only. :)

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Yea, this will be tough to do via a toggle (at least to make it useful - ie, change to tablet mode, and be able to change back without rebooting).
What I have to do is catch where these settings are referenced in code, and inject some logic so that I can control the switch. Then I have to figure out how to reset the screen (systemui, etc) without having to reboot. All of those things are likely doable (I did similar things with the Hiding of the NavBar).
However, switching out APK's is not something I think I can do without a reboot, which would make this not nearly as desirable as an In-Rom option.

·
277 Posts
Yea, this will be tough to do via a toggle (at least to make it useful - ie, change to tablet mode, and be able to change back without rebooting).
What I have to do is catch where these settings are referenced in code, and inject some logic so that I can control the switch. Then I have to figure out how to reset the screen (systemui, etc) without having to reboot. All of those things are likely doable (I did similar things with the Hiding of the NavBar).
However, switching out APK's is not something I think I can do without a reboot, which would make this not nearly as desirable as an In-Rom option.
This is just a simple user opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but for a feature such as this I really don't think a reboot would be that big of a deal. I would guess that most users who would use a feature such as this would probably do so over an extended period of time (use the feature on a day-to-day basis, not situational like the nav-bar), so if it only took a simple reboot to get it working I doubt there would be many fists raised at that. But like I said, that is just my opinion, you are the guys who perform the wizardry.

·
Android Ninja
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it's worthwhile to force a reboot into the tablet UI. IMO it's not a big deal to reboot, literally takes a minute to do lol. My only concern is having to, in some way, store the modded phone and market apks and only apply them to system/apps when the toggle is turned on. I'm sure you know some magical way lol, but I just don't know where they would go when not used.
For now, zips will do I guess :)

·
Average Android
286 Posts
I think it's worthwhile to force a reboot into the tablet UI. IMO it's not a big deal to reboot, literally takes a minute to do lol. My only concern is having to, in some way, store the modded phone and market apks and only apply them to system/apps when the toggle is turned on. I'm sure you know some magical way lol, but I just don't know where they would go when not used.
For now, zips will do I guess :)
Yea zips for now, that toggle will take seriois work For Roman and Zapp lol Okay Codename and BAMF up soon!

1 - 20 of 731 Posts