Android OS Forum banner
701 - 720 of 730 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no way that the current version of Inquisition can be considered "final". I really hope the developer(s) aren't done working on it, but even if they are that doesn't make the last release a "final" one, as to imply that it is complete/stable/finished. The list of issues on this rom is a long one, although I personally consider it my favorite ICS rom for the MT4GS. The most recent issue I found was a surprising one: I'm not able to send picture messages at all. I tried several times with all different methods, but every time I tried to press send after adding a picture to a text, I get an "Unexpected Error" message or something. And then after re-opening the message it permanently keeps saying "Sending" even though it is essentially doing nothing. This issue is just one of many.

All of that aside, I've been using this rom a lot longer than any of my other favorites mainly due to the two most obvious features: Speed and Looks. ICS is so much better looking than GB in so many ways, but I do really REALLY miss my stock camera. And being able to run at 1728 max is awesome. Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that any settings in SetCPU (and other apps like it) don't really have any effect on performance or frequency? And when I try to disable "Perflock", it just tells me "Error: Misc Exception..." as if this overclock kernel doesn't allow it or isn't compatible. Then I did some more reading on this overclock kernel and it would seem that it was only really intended for the Sensation, which makes me wonder if it really should be used for 3 different models of phones via this rom. Just a thought.

Seriously though, I love the speed from this rom/kernel and that is one of the only reasons I still use it. I'm often tempted to go back to Bulletproof for the stability, but the speed doesn't compare and I'd miss the visual aspect of ICS too much. So back to my original statement: This rom cannot be final. And to whom it may concern, please don't let it be the 'final' release. This rom is awesome and closer to being "stable" than any other ICS rom for the MT4GS (in my opinion), and I've tried the others... some of them don't even boot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think with tbalden over on cm9 and the fact that rom has been so active lately this may be sidelined for a long time. Definitely a viable daily driver, but as with any rom not without some niggling quirks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried CM9, it had far too many problems for me to continue using it longer than an hour. And the camera was awful. I swear I remember CM being more solid and more.... i dunno, something. It's truly too bad that all the ICS roms out there for the MT4GS all are missing key features like the 1080p camera and others I cant remember at this moment, but the important thing is that ALL ICS roms for this phone have nearly the exact same problems. The camera doesn't work fully because it's based on Sense and the rest of ICS isn't. So it would seem that it should be possible (or at least plausible) that parts of Sense could be combined into ICS to get the best of both worlds.

I dont know the first thing about android development, so I don't think for a second that any of this is easy to do. And I don't take these roms for granted. But I wish I did know programming/development so that I could figure out this puzzle and make a worthwhile rom. Does anyone know of any other ICS roms for this phone that are just as good as Inquisition, that aren't in hiatus or being put indefinitely on hold?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What also blows my mind is that the overclock kernel for Inquisition (by SebastianFM) appears to be one that was developed for the Sensation, not the MT4GS. And when I asked someone on XDA if it matters, if I could potentially flash a oc kernel for a different phone, they said that my phone wouldn't boot or worse. Can anyone tell me how the OC kernel works with this rom on the MT4GS then? Cause according to what people tell me, it supposedly shouldn't work.

Also, if I were able to understand the compatibility of OC kernels, how to install/flash them and/or how to combine them with an existing rom, I would be able to at least get the speed I want with another rom that doesn't offer overclocking. I've read posts that suggest certain overclock kernels are only compatible with certain versions of android, and/or sense vs ics, and probably other variables. This is why I've been so hesitant to try any overclock kernels; I'm not sure how any of it will work. Besides, when searching for OC kernels for the MT4GS I only came up with like 1 thread and it was kinda old, so there isn't an abundance of these kernels for this phone.

So does anyone here have any insight regarding compatibility, how to install/flash/combine oc kernels with roms, and maybe where to find them? I'd try editing my own kernel, but I wouldn't have any idea where to start or even where to learn about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What also blows my mind is that the overclock kernel for Inquisition (by SebastianFM) appears to be one that was developed for the Sensation, not the MT4GS. And when I asked someone on XDA if it matters, if I could potentially flash a oc kernel for a different phone, they said that my phone wouldn't boot or worse. Can anyone tell me how the OC kernel works with this rom on the MT4GS then? Cause according to what people tell me, it supposedly shouldn't work.

Also, if I were able to understand the compatibility of OC kernels, how to install/flash them and/or how to combine them with an existing rom, I would be able to at least get the speed I want with another rom that doesn't offer overclocking. I've read posts that suggest certain overclock kernels are only compatible with certain versions of android, and/or sense vs ics, and probably other variables. This is why I've been so hesitant to try any overclock kernels; I'm not sure how any of it will work. Besides, when searching for OC kernels for the MT4GS I only came up with like 1 thread and it was kinda old, so there isn't an abundance of these kernels for this phone.

So does anyone here have any insight regarding compatibility, how to install/flash/combine oc kernels with roms, and maybe where to find them? I'd try editing my own kernel, but I wouldn't have any idea where to start or even where to learn about it.
Best way to answer that is to posit the following questions.

1) Do you know how to write code?
2) Do you know how to compile code from source?
3) Do you have the patience to learn from failed attempts at tweaking/adjusting phones, while accepting the risk of bricking your phone?

If you answer no to any of these questions, then my guess is probably not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best way to answer that is to posit the following questions.

1) Do you know how to write code?
2) Do you know how to compile code from source?
3) Do you have the patience to learn from failed attempts at tweaking/adjusting phones, while accepting the risk of bricking your phone?

If you answer no to any of these questions, then my guess is probably not.
I've read over my post and yours a few times and still can't figure out exactly what question you answered. I didn't ask you if you think I have what it takes to become a developer or even attempt to make my own oc kernel; although I did mention that I can't write/edit my own oc kernel because I wouldn't know what I was doing. I was simply hoping someone could shed some light on the topic. I've been told by a couple people that oc kernels that were made for a particular phone shouldn't be used on a different model. However, this rom seems to be doing exactly that, by using SebastionFM's kernel which is apparently a Sensation kernel. So the idea is that if I could understand why this particular kernel works on 3 different phone models, I would then probably know enough to figure out the rest on my own.... or at least where to look and what to look for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've read over my post and yours a few times and still can't figure out exactly what question you answered. I didn't ask you if you think I have what it takes to become a developer or even attempt to make my own oc kernel; although I did mention that I can't write/edit my own oc kernel because I wouldn't know what I was doing. I was simply hoping someone could shed some light on the topic. I've been told by a couple people that oc kernels that were made for a particular phone shouldn't be used on a different model. However, this rom seems to be doing exactly that, by using SebastionFM's kernel which is apparently a Sensation kernel. So the idea is that if I could understand why this particular kernel works on 3 different phone models, I would then probably know enough to figure out the rest on my own.... or at least where to look and what to look for.
And my answer to that is that someone probably took a kernel from a phone with equivalent framework, adjusted it for doubleshot, then gave it to us all. And again, to provide the details involved in that, it seems that one would need to actually know code, or be very patient with the scientific method on their doubleshot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed Virtuous Inquisition on my MT4GS and love it. There are several bugs that I have come across that are particularly annoying to me, and would love to help fix them. Where should I start to help debugging? are there log files that I can provide to show what is or is not happening? Particularly I've had the following problems:
  • Wifi hotspot appears as open network when using encryption and does not allow uses to connect, even when operating as an open network.
  • IR button makes selection but does not click.
  • Inline headset button does not answer/hangup phone. It does however start/stop playback.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Android Beginner
30 Posts
In my opinion, this is still the best ROM for MT4GS. I wish it was still getting love and updates to tighten it up even more though.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using RootzWiki

·
Android Beginner
69 Posts
My phone says "Encryption Unsuccessful" when I flash the latest beta kernel. It then says I have to wipe my phone. Does that happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My phone says "Encryption Unsuccessful" when I flash the latest beta kernel. It then says I have to wipe my phone. Does that happen to anyone else?
Are you on a rooted phone? I haven't experienced this, but it sounds like it is refusing to load the kernel, but this is just a guess.

·
Android Beginner
69 Posts
Are you on a rooted phone? I haven't experienced this, but it sounds like it is refusing to load the kernel, but this is just a guess.
Of course lol. I have S-Off as well. Flashing just Virtuous Inquisition v4.0.2 with the trackpad wake fix works like a charm though. I only get the problem when attempting to flash the beta kernel. Oh well, this seems stable enough for a daily anyways so I don't think the beta kernel was necessary (yet).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of course lol. I have S-Off as well. Flashing just Virtuous Inquisition v4.0.2 with the trackpad wake fix works like a charm though. I only get the problem when attempting to flash the beta kernel. Oh well, this seems stable enough for a daily anyways so I don't think the beta kernel was necessary (yet).
The new Virtuous Infinity Alpha 3 seems pretty good as well, and includes the 3.0.16 kernel. If you don't mind sense. So far, everything is working for me that Inquisition had working, and I like Sense so...

·
Android Beginner
69 Posts
The new Virtuous Infinity Alpha 3 seems pretty good as well, and includes the 3.0.16 kernel. If you don't mind sense. So far, everything is working for me that Inquisition had working, and I like Sense so...
I'd rather stick with this ROM. Not a fan of sense. And this has been running pretty well anyways.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd rather stick with this ROM. Not a fan of sense. And this has been running pretty well anyways.
It is nice as well. I certainly backed it up, and it does feel more responsive vs. with Sense, but this will be true anytime you add another layer on top of something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want roms this one go see the forum on xda theres updated roms like this. Minus the virtuous tweaks but there are other tweaks...

Sent from my myTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm trying to install Google Now using reekotubbs aroma tool. However, Google Now won't install. After reboot, no luck-any ideas..? Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
just did the other day a completely clean wipe (even formatted the sd card) and reflash with this rom. running smooth except for random reboots like probably 2 or 3 a day. i think over half of them have been while i'm in the facebook app, don't know if that has anything to do with it or just coincidence (sometimes it just does it while sitting there on the home screen). anyone have any ideas on the reboots?

·
Android Beginner
69 Posts
just did the other day a completely clean wipe (even formatted the sd card) and reflash with this rom. running smooth except for random reboots like probably 2 or 3 a day. i think over half of them have been while i'm in the facebook app, don't know if that has anything to do with it or just coincidence (sometimes it just does it while sitting there on the home screen). anyone have any ideas on the reboots?
I've probably only noticed one or two random reboots since I've been using it for the past 2 weeks.

701 - 720 of 730 Posts