Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot successfully flash a ROM to save my life. I have tried Darkslide X, Liberty, Liquid and now MIUI and always end up in a boot loop.

I flashed Darkslide for Froyo with no trouble. I flashed the 2 part rooted GB update with no problem. I do my best to meticulously follow all directions. I'm starting to think my phone just won't run a ROM.

For the most recent MIUI attempt here is what I did. Please tell me what I did wrong.
I started with stock, OTA Gingerbread and did an SBF to Froyo. ( I had already downloaded the MIUI file and put in on the root of my SD card. I downloaded it directly to the phone, I did not transfer it from my PC)
I activated the phone, hooked up my Gmail account and reloaded Astro and Droid2 bootstrap.

I rooted using Z4. I entered recovery using D2 and formatted the system. Then I wiped data, wiped cache, wiped Dalvik and wiped battery stats.

I applied the downloaded MIUI file and while it said it was installed it took a very short time and just didn't seem right. (probably about a minute) I rebooted and promptly got stuck on M.

I have just SBFd again and will go back to rooted FROYO until I get some feedback. Unfortunately I have to go to work tonight so I won't be able to apply any of your sage advice until tomorrow.

I'm sure it must be an error on my part but I sure don't know what it would be. Help please. Stock GB is kind of boring.

·
Android Apprentice
28 Posts
My first suggestion might sound kind of dumb, but I've done it myself many times. Make sure you don't mix up D2 and D2G files. Whether it be ROMs, sbf, etc. My second suggestion is that sometimes for a ROM to take, you have to also mount the system in recovery after you format. (Like cm7.) Third, if you feel like it didn't install "Quite right" as I do sometimes, just hit the wipe buttons again and reinstall, it won't do you any harm. And finally, make sure you're on the right kernel. This is especially important for the D2 since it's in a transition period between Motorola ROMs, and AOSP ROMs. Just don't give up! That's what Motorola wants you to do. ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using RootzWiki Forums

·
Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I downloaded the file at the top of the MIUI thread for the droid x. I only used the droid 2 bootstrapper because that's what I thought we needed for these new roms. Should I use the droid x bootstrap?

·
Supporting Member
1,870 Posts
Make sure you have good rom downloads by checking the md5 sum.

I've never formatted the system. You should be able to just wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik and wipe battery stats.

·
Supporting Member
1,870 Posts
Jaeger said:
I downloaded the file at the top of the MIUI thread for the droid x. I only used the droid 2 bootstrapper because that's what I thought we needed for these new roms. Should I use the droid x bootstrap?
No, use D2 bootstrap. I think the previous poster is referring to the actual D2 or D2G devices, not the DX.

Also, which method do you use to sbf?

·
Android Apprentice
28 Posts
Nevermind. I was totally wrong, thought you had a D2. That's all I really know.

G

·
Jaeger said:
I use RSD lite.

I guess I can try to download to my PC then transfer to my sd card but the link in the main MIUI thread should be good shouldn't it?
To get to MIUI, I did the below steps.

1) SBF back to .340 (I was on Liberty GB)
2) Root phone and use D2 Bootstrap to get into CWM
3) Wipe data, cache, and Dalvik (I don't wipe battery stats and have never had a problem with battery life)
4) Flash the MIUI zip from the link in the main MIUI thread
5) Reboot phone, go back into Recovery, and flash latest patch zip

You don't need to format the system or any of that stuff. Data, cache, and dalvik are all that is needed.

·
Supporting Member
1,870 Posts
Yes, the link the main MIUI thread should be good! But, you could always check the md5 sum....I can get mine if you need it.

Also, I've only sbf'd using the Linux CDRom method without issues. Once you sbf, double check the phone info (kernel, radio, etc.) to make sure they match the requirements for CM7 or MIUI4DX.

·
Supporting Member
1,870 Posts
Skip the set-up process....you'll set up once you have your rom of choice installed. To save from going into the market, you can save the files/apps (apk's) you need to your sd card, so that you don't have to dl them from the market. Such as z4root and D2 bootstrap, and maybe astro....but I believe the regular file manager will let you get to bootstrap and z4.

·
Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Z4 in on my sd card. I'll have to put D2 and astro on there as well. That will save a bunch of time.

I still don't understand what the heck the problem is. Would formatting the system cause the failure? I'll have to check the mdsums later but if you could post what you have that would be very helpful

I have to say, this has been pretty aggravating.

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
Did u figure out what the problem is yet? Heres a link to my install instructions for CM7. U can follow those directions pretty much the same way for MIUI. and also heres a link to my thread on flashing sbf files. Cus u could possibly have the wrong sbf. there is a couple froyo sbfs. And one i know is system only. so make sure u have the right one. and let us know if u have anymore questions. there has to be a reason its not working. any DX can flash roms. its very unlikely that, it just wouldnt be able to flash a rom. so. just let us know if u havent figured it out. and check out my 2 tutorials and also make sure u download the MIUI file again(which u can do straight to ur phone like u did. that will work i do that all the time) and like they said here. make sure the md5 is correct.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.