Android OS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot successfully flash a ROM to save my life. I have tried Darkslide X, Liberty, Liquid and now MIUI and always end up in a boot loop.

I flashed Darkslide for Froyo with no trouble. I flashed the 2 part rooted GB update with no problem. I do my best to meticulously follow all directions. I'm starting to think my phone just won't run a ROM.

For the most recent MIUI attempt here is what I did. Please tell me what I did wrong.
I started with stock, OTA Gingerbread and did an SBF to Froyo. ( I had already downloaded the MIUI file and put in on the root of my SD card. I downloaded it directly to the phone, I did not transfer it from my PC)
I activated the phone, hooked up my Gmail account and reloaded Astro and Droid2 bootstrap.

I rooted using Z4. I entered recovery using D2 and formatted the system. Then I wiped data, wiped cache, wiped Dalvik and wiped battery stats.

I applied the downloaded MIUI file and while it said it was installed it took a very short time and just didn't seem right. (probably about a minute) I rebooted and promptly got stuck on M.

I have just SBFd again and will go back to rooted FROYO until I get some feedback. Unfortunately I have to go to work tonight so I won't be able to apply any of your sage advice until tomorrow.

I'm sure it must be an error on my part but I sure don't know what it would be. Help please. Stock GB is kind of boring.

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I downloaded the file at the top of the MIUI thread for the droid x. I only used the droid 2 bootstrapper because that's what I thought we needed for these new roms. Should I use the droid x bootstrap?

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Z4 in on my sd card. I'll have to put D2 and astro on there as well. That will save a bunch of time.

I still don't understand what the heck the problem is. Would formatting the system cause the failure? I'll have to check the mdsums later but if you could post what you have that would be very helpful

I have to say, this has been pretty aggravating.

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My bad on the kernel. Mine is identical to yours. I believe the difference in baseband is that your radio was updated from. 07 to. 12 by the MIUI rom.
What is the linux method? I've only ever used rsd lite.
That Miui file is what I downloaded direcly from the link.

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I downloaded the file a second time and the md5 matched yours. Briefly. Then i copied it to the root of the card and it changed. Then i checked the original and it had changed! (Scratches head.....)
I'll try loading it from my pc and transferring it.
I presume my sbf file is ok?

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I did all those things and had my battery at 100%.
I fooled around with it a bit earlier and found that when I first download the zip file the MD5 is the same as the one Willyjay posted. When I copy it and paste it to the root of the card the original file that I just copied changes as does the file that I paste. They both wind up with different MD5s and both are different than the original. I'm going to try again this morning when I get home and just try to flash the file from it's original location.

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sucess!! The devil was in the md5. Somehow, it got scrambled in the process of moving it. I redownloaded the ROM and just left it in the download file. I did all the same steps (minus formatting the system and wiping battery stats) and it installed just as easy as could be. Thanks to everyone for all the help, especially willyjay for pointing me in the right direction.

Now, about that patch. What does it do? I guess I need to figure out how to get into recovery. I can't use D2 bootstrapper anymore, right?

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The patch was applied. Awesome! Thank you again. Is there a setting I need to be aware of to activate the camera? The camera opens but nothing is displayed on the screen. I can open the menu but it won't let me go to the camcorder either.

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
willyjay to the rescue again! This ROM is pretty intense. At first I wasn't sure about not having an app drawer but I think it may grow on me. Again, thank you for all your help!

do I check here for updates or do I check on Rom Manager? Or both.

I need to put the phone down and go to bed!

· Supporting Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I may yet go back to ADW EX or LP but for now I'm going to give stock MIUI a good run. There is a lot of stuff tucked into this rom to play with.

I've got to say, I've been poking around at new phones because I just wasn't satisfied with with my X on stock Gingerbread. Finally being able to try new Roms will keep me going until I'm do for an upgrade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.