Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rooted my Droid X a long time ago with the old OLD tushy "RootMyX" application. I also had z4. Don't ask why. I do believe I unrooted once with z4 to try and get GB when it dropped but when it failed i rerooted with z4. Then z4 acted like I had never been rooted so that's been uninstalled because its useless (I could be wrong, I'm not very good at this).

So I'm stuck on Android Version 2.2.1/System Version 2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US and on Monday mornings about...8:30 it attempts an OTA update. Usually biweekly. It chews through the whole battery during my 8 AM class, and manages to fail every time. But after playing around with GB on my CM7 TouchPad I kinda wanna install that.

Except I have no clue what so ever on how to do this. I've seen the terms SBF, deodex, etc thrown around and that is greek to me. I DID install Bootstrapper and made a backup so I did manage to follow that part.

What do I have to do? And I'd like to save the text messages/data/everything on my phone, but I would like the newer version. I only rooted it to freeze/kill the horrible stock apps and to get a few bonus applications like Wireless Tether which has been a lifesaver. So I'd like to keep the majority of what I got going here and update the system. But, like I said, there doesn't seem to be a real simple guide and to read the guides you need some level of initiation into the Cult of Android Acronyms. I'm willing to learn but I really just wanna get Gingerbread on this damn thing finally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've read that thread, and I know that is A Thing I need to do, but I still don't know what in the HELL that means. THAT is the question I'm after. I know I need to get X file to do Y thing but I don't know what the hell X file is or what it does. When they say "out of the box" are we talking a total reformat of the phone or what? Like I said, I want to keep as much of what I have set up in terms of preferences, apps, data, and etc intact. So when they say "out of the box" that is A) Not very clear and B.) Doesnt sound like what I'm after. Unless that sort of reformat is unavoidable.

EDIT: Also, which SMS backup? There's a good dozen or so.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
the ota update is failing because you've changed stuff in the /system directory by freezing apps. just unfreeze the bloat apps you froze and the ota update will work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And that will maintain root? And what happens if, say, I didn't know what I was doing and killed them. Like CityID. Pretty sure I nuked that.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Use Titanium Backup to backup your USER applications.
There is an option called "batch" to do this.
Use .602 sbf from here:
http://rootzwiki.com...elinks-dx-sbfs/
Or follow this guide:

Open "Contacts" and select options > export to SD (I think it's called)
This is just in case you didn't backup with google's servers.

Once you're booted up (now in gingerbread):
Dial ##7764726
SPC password: 000000
Select "User Activation", Change "MIN" to your full 10 digit number, change "MDN" to your 10 digit number, press "Done".
Press your Home Button.
Your phone will restart...this time 3G will come up.
*228 option 2
*228 option 1

Re-root:
http://rootzwiki.com...t-your-droid-x/

Install Titanium Backup.
Restore applications.
Open contacts > import to SD

Ta-da.
You're on gingerbread.
And have all of your apps/contacts.
Change the settings back (which will take 3 minutes or so) yourself.

This will be a sure-fire way of doing this...regardless of what you've changed in your phone.

Edit:
This process will take about an hour, FYI.
But it's really quite simple and is %90 waiting for your phone to do the work.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
Once you're booted up (now in gingerbread):
Dial ##7764726
SPC password: 000000
Select "User Activation", Change "MIN" to your full 10 digit number, change "MDN" to your 10 digit number, press "Done".
Press your Home Button.
Your phone will restart...this time 3G will come up.
*228 option 2
*228 option 1
HUH. lol
why this? no need for this part unless he lives outside of verizon coverage.
the rest was perfect though.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
And that will maintain root? And what happens if, say, I didn't know what I was doing and killed them. Like CityID. Pretty sure I nuked that.
if you dont want to sbf, then you can grab the maderstock .340 zip from here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4AO672L1
then open the zip and look in the system/app folder. all the apk's are there. so you can just replace the ones that you deleted.
then using adb or Root Explorer set the proper permissions on the apk's you replaced. if you dont know what permissions to set, just look at the permissions on another apk in that folder.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
HUH. lol
why this? no need for this part unless he lives outside of verizon coverage.
the rest was perfect though.
Any time I SBF I have to reactivate my phone for some reason?
I get a blue triangle in my notification bar and no 3G/Cell access,
I thought this was normal...
But it did seem odd that way-back when I posed the question it was so hard to find an answer.

·
Android Admirer
544 Posts
grab one of the 1KDstaz flashdrive .imgs. It Flashes by the good ole' linux way. The easiest way by far. Good luck.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
Any time I SBF I have to reactivate my phone for some reason?
I get a blue triangle in my notification bar and no 3G/Cell access,
I thought this was normal...
But it did seem odd that way-back when I posed the question it was so hard to find an answer.
yea, the blue triangle is normal after an sbf. when it first boots up after sbf it says it has to activate. you hit yes then choose option 1 and it does it. at least that's how it's always worked for me.

·
Android Admirer
544 Posts
I just flashed the radio first. But your gonna have to activate the phone either way, so i guess it really doesn't matter. I'm never been a fan of RSD Lite.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
yea, the blue triangle is normal after an sbf. when it first boots up after sbf it says it has to activate. you hit yes then choose option 1 and it does it. at least that's how it's always worked for me.
Oh wow.
I've always bypassed the android.
And spammed the back/home key until all of that "Lul, we can't accezz serverz" shit passes by and manually activated.

·
Android Admirer
544 Posts
Its a Single Binary File containing all the images that RSD Lite uses to flash your systems. In short, its magic.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
Okay I appreciate the help. But what the hell is SBF?
it returns your phone to completely stock "out of the box" software. For example, if you were to go buy a brand new droid x, and you pull it out of the box, it will be in the same condition as if you just flashed an sbf to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I transfer the backups to my pc, keeping the bootstrap backup in case this goes south, run the SBF with the RSD life program, reactivate my phone, restore the message and app backups and reroot.

Am I missing anything?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.