Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short, I need a rom that has disabled the ability to shut off(or go to recovery). Also, blocking the ability to turn off GPS would be a plus. I really don't care what rom as long as it's stable.

I've had my car vandalized from the outside and stuff stolen from the inside a few times, as well as damage to my garage, over the last year. I've lost two stereos now.

I'm gonna superglue the battery back to the Eris, and then I'm gonna leave that Eris in my car with gps tracking software, and when it disappears I'm gonna find its location and call the police and get my stuff back. This Eris has a 3500mah battery in it to make sure it lasts long enough to get my stuff back.

Can you guys help me? I'll donate to whoever modifies a rom to those hopefully small goals, AND I'll post whatever happens as a result for everyone to enjoy.

Pretty please?

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I even found where in the source code the shutdown action in the shutdown menu:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pl...6dcc4c6f218cdd3ee220f0daf3b99455c2a5e;hb=HEAD

It's on line 207. I just don't know what to change it to(perhaps something that just turns the screen off instead?), or grab the whole source and compile it for the Eris, but I wanna help in any way I can to tempt a developer to help me.

In other news, I found out a LOT of neighbors had been suffering from break-ins. Including neighbors who've had their garages tampered with, another guy who had his jeep top slashed to break into it, as well as my next door neighbor running people off and unable to catch them. This would really help more than just me.

·
Android Apprentice
51 Posts
Ooh.. A soap opera!

Seriously though I'm no help. I would like to see this guy get some help though. You'd probably have to somehow block the market or at least some apps like quick boot so they can't download that to reboot/shutdown. I hope you find the help you need.

G

·
Spikelangelo said:
Ooh.. A soap opera!

Seriously though I'm no help. I would like to see this guy get some help though. You'd probably have to somehow block the market or at least some apps like quick boot so they can't download that to reboot/shutdown. I hope you find the help you need.
Yeah, and it's also important to note that most thieves that actually know what they're doing will not bother with a phone they can't shut off. It's pretty much a given nowadays that smartphones can be tracked by GPS. I know I sure as heck wouldn't bother with a phone that I'm not able to disable without destroying the hardware. No, I'm not a thief. :p

OP, good luck with your "fishing." I hope you find a modification that allows your phone to do what you need it to and the thief is stupid enough to fall for it. He or she could just be a crackhead and not a seasoned thief.

·
Average Android
192 Posts
I don't know about a rom that does that buti wrote a thread on how I got my phones back after they were stolen. I will posta link
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

·
433 Posts
Spikelangelo said:
Ooh.. A soap opera!

I'm poppin' the popcorn.

Edit: @OP you could remap the power button to sort them turning off the phone, however it would still be able to turn off any method that doesn't involve the power button.

Edit2: Better idea: What you might could do is just set a lockscreen password, than they wouldn't be able to unlock it to turn off GPS & what not.

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for no reply lately. I finally got my phone to not shut off. Sunday night there were no visitors to my car. But I will post as soon as I have news to post!

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
"SyNiK4L said:
New hood sounds like the best idea lol
Actually this has been, until the vandilizers, a very peaceful and great community. I really believe that this is just the work of one person or one group, so catching them will make a huge difference.

G

·
Noremacam said:
Actually this has been, until the vandilizers, a very peaceful and great community. I really believe that this is just the work of one person or one group, so catching them will make a huge difference.
Neighborhood Watch is a great idea as well. I've lived in neighborhoods where the residents got together and started watching each others' backs. The thieves and vandals ended up focusing their attention on different areas of town.

Thieves want easy targets. Once they realize their targets aren't as easy as they would like, the move elsewhere.

·
Average Android
122 Posts
My town is in the top 15 for most car break-ins in the country. Luckily, I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but 2 miles down the road yields rough neighborhoods. Girlfriend's neighborhood is a little closer to the bad neighborhoods, but a safe one too. Her house was broken into and the thieves were gone literally 5 minutes before she got home one night. Open/concealed carry and gun at my bedside, as well as hers FTW.

·
THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN ANDROID
223 Posts
swiftmazda said:
Neighborhood Watch is a great idea as well. I've lived in neighborhoods where the residents got together and started watching each others' backs. The thieves and vandals ended up focusing their attention on different areas of town.

Thieves want easy targets. Once they realize their targets aren't as easy as they would like, the move elsewhere.
probably the best option... we don't do that in my neighborhood ... luckily tho a cop lives two doors down.. not that it still can't happen.. but I also live in a smaller community .. I think larger populated places should do a neighborhood watch ...

G

·
JsinLegacy said:
probably the best option... we don't do that in my neighborhood ... luckily tho a cop lives two doors down.. not that it still can't happen.. but I also live in a smaller community .. I think larger populated places should do a neighborhood watch ...
Yeah, it's definitely beneficial for larger populated places. Many areas also give local residents the option to pay for their police to do routine patrols. I know it's a flat rate around here, and they patrol the area extremely heavily. They're off duty though, and it's merely an optional security service they offer.

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a few ideas for making the property safer. But I'm with-holding them coz I don't wanna scare my thief off. I wanna know who's messing with me and then ill tighten up security.

·
Supporting Member
374 Posts
Please keep in mind that when you ask someone something like that. You are also giving them the answers they need in combating what you have done to prevent it from happening. If possible, have replies sent via email or something. Im just sayin.

·
Average Android
79 Posts
Check out the plan b application from lookout mobile security in the market. It let's you install it to you lost/ stolen phone from the PC market. Then it sends an email to the address connected to the device with the location.

Still looking for a better reason to post from anything other than the OG

1 - 20 of 38 Posts