Android OS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
Well there's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot. You can modify CG66 without the phone barfing on startup.
What an interesting method... not unlike other root tools, except in how it's delivered. :D

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
Wait, so a rooting method so we can flash custom recovery and get off of this stock ROM?

Oh goodness, PLEASE, I hope that this method tweaked a bit will work for the Global because I haven't had the balls to try and brick and unbrick my phone in order to finally try and get off of stock again...
You can't brick a Moto phone... It's near impossible. And according to how it works, you /should/ be trying it as it's non-destructive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts