Android OS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Androidian
301 Posts
So, help an idiot grasp what all this means. Does this simply allow folks to run kicking & screaming as fast as possible away from .621/622, or does this also allow folks to keep the new features of .621/622 like the "Wireless Alerting System" & still flash custom ROMs? I'm guessing the second point is possible, but only if devs purposely merge the new features into custom ROMs like Cyanogen or MIUI?

·
Androidian
301 Posts
Been reading up on this Wireless Emergency Alert stuff introduced in .621, and it seems to only require an app to decipher & process these alerts. (Well, it requires a special hardware chip as well, but apparently that's been built in to most cell phones for years.) Anyway, I went ahead & installed this app since they seem to be a Verizon MVNO, not sure if that matters, though. Supposedly, a test is scheduled for the 3[sup]rd[/sup] Wednesday of each month at 1:00pm ET, so we'll see if I get one. Apparently, lots of folks (myself included) have been getting these CMAS messages, but without the proper app they just appear as nonsense text messages.

It would be nice though, for someone to pull the official Verizon CMAS "Emergency Alerts" app off their .621/622 ROM & deodex it for everyone to use, as I suspect it's not blur dependent. I found an archive of the files from a DX, but I'm not smart enough to deodex stuff.

·
Androidian
301 Posts
Maybe someone could help us create an EZSBF method that can do both SBF flashes and take care of the rest as well? I'm just brainstorming.
I let 1KDS know about it, but no idea if he has the time or motivation to redo his EZSBF. I'm certainly not smart enough to do it, but hopefully somebody else here will take up the challenge. :)

·
Androidian
301 Posts
don't think cm7 will work
i know the official cm7 for d2g only works with froyo kernel, think the same with d2 is true...
The official CM7 for the CDMA only Droid 2 has been on the Gingerbread kernel since March 3rd (took me forever to find that!). So, at least for the D2, it should be safe to flash in this case. As for the trouble Ken is having, that's over my head.

·
Androidian
301 Posts
Wait, so current ROMs don't work with this root method? Some say yes and some say no. It's a little confusing...
Looks like themibster is right, but like Ken said- there's a workaround. Here's the details of what Ken found, copied here for posterity:

GregMoens said:
Look like you're failing the check_kernel script. This was put in place to prevent someone with a Froyo based kernel from flashing a CM version that required the Gingerbread kernel. If you open up the cm-7.2.0-droid2.zip file and look at /system/etc/check_kernel, you'll see that the required kernel version is 2.6.32.9-gca08d89, which matches my Droid2 exactly. I'm assuming your version does not match. That 2.3.4 update must have bumped the kernel version. This new kernel may or may not work with CM7.2.

Couple options I can think of. You could change the required version in the check_kernel script. Or you can blank out that entire file and replace it with:

Code:
#!/sbin/sh<br />
<br />
exit 0
You could also edit the main update script found under /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script and delete this line:

Code:
assert(run_program("/tmp/check_kernel") == 0);
Just make any of those changes, repackage the zip file, and try flashing that. You could very well get stuck in a bootloop due to the new kernel being incompatible and you may have to SBF back to rooted 2.3.4 and live with that for now. Good luck!

·
Androidian
301 Posts
So I'm not smart enough to understand everything kernel related, but does the .621/.622 kernel alone offer any security/stability benefits over .601? Or is the difference just the Moto overlords think users shouldn't have root?

·
Androidian
301 Posts
Also, I don't know if this make things easier, but I have no intention of ever using my droid on a cell network. It'll be the brains for a microcontroller and I'll use wifi when necessary. Is there a way to just wipe the ROM to get rid of the junk motorolla/verizon put on there and give myself more controll? Totally new to this. Thanks!
Don't know anything about your USB question, but probably the easiest way to clean up the ROM is to flash a custom ROM, just read up on how to disable kernel checks if needed. There are several older Gingerbread ROMs that are Blur based, meaning very close to the original but with bloat removed & tweaks added in. The latest, most up to date non-Blur is Cyanogenmod, this tweaked version of it is popular & stable. Theoretically, you can open the zip (NOT unzip) & pull unwanted apks out of the system/app folder before flashing a custom ROM, but some say that can cause gremlins. Also, custom ROMs on the D2 rely on a process called "2nd init", but I doubt that would have any impact on what you're doing.

·
Androidian
301 Posts
Droid 2 621 EzSBF with root option
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]The MD5 is[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]e50bc7914c4852ca32e9f08f7744c056[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]this doesn't work/run when burnt/mounted at all on my xp sp3![/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]isn't it for linux? cause it has a folder named so, but none for windows...[/background]
Did you burn it as an ISO & boot your PC from it? It's a Linux Live CD, meant to run as an independent OS from CD (or possibly DVD or USB if you know what you're doing). Read instructions here (older versions for pre-621, but same procedures apply):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-2-development/161849-tool-ezsbf.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts