Android OS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
hi everyone. i want to install ubuntu on my PC. My problem is:
I haven't a CD Drive i have only a PartitiOn of my HDD and an linux ISO. I am running win7
Have you a method to install UBUNTU with that?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using RootzWiki
I've only installed from a cd, but I know that you can use a usb stick.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone. here is a new Method :
download Ubuntu Desktop Iso
Extract WUBI.exe from iso
Put Wubi and the iso inthe same folder and start wubi.exe
It will install Ubuntu like LiveCD mode.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi everyone. here is a new Method :
download Ubuntu Desktop Iso
Extract WUBI.exe from iso
Put Wubi and the iso inthe same folder and start wubi.exe
It will install Ubuntu like LiveCD mode.

It will install Ubuntu like LiveCD mode: Yes, but won't your experience be less-than optimal as compared to having your distro installed to a partition?

Cheers, Dan

edited for syntax.

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
I have only ever used Wubi to install Ubuntu.

Always just choose the 30GB option in the install window, it's been painless. :)
Now if I can just get around to quitting World of Warcraft I can just get rid of Windows all together. ^.^ But then again, I'd be lost when GW2 finally comes out.

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
^^ What yarly has posted there is probably the easiest, and most reliable way to install ubuntu. With wubi, you don't get the full experience that you have with an actual installation.
I'm curious, what do you miss out on when you use wubi?

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
If you already have windows installed and no spare partition, you can repartition the windows partition freespace using something like gparted on a live cd. After that, you can install whatever you want on the newly created partition. Idk how wubi has changed in the past few years since it started, but it used to be rather buggy due to having to live within windows.

Just a recommendation on what distro to use after--if you're a Windows user, you'll feel more at home on KDE desktop using the KDE version of Ubuntu (called Kubuntu). Everything functions the same as normal Ubuntu on the command line if you need ubuntu tutorials. There's also Xubuntu, which runs the XFCE desktop (a minimal desktop meant for systems with less resources or older). If you just want to try something new, then go with just normal Ubuntu. I'm not a fan, but I can understand why it would appeal to some.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Just a recommendation on what distro to use after--if you're a Windows user, you'll feel more at home on KDE desktop using the KDE version of Ubuntu (called Kubuntu). Everything functions the same as normal Ubuntu on the command line if you need ubuntu tutorials. There's also Xubuntu, which runs the XFCE desktop (a minimal desktop meant for systems with less resources or older). If you just want to try something new, then go with just normal Ubuntu. I'm not a fan, but I can understand why it would appeal to some.
7 months ago I went from being a 75% of the time windows user (I had Mint 11 on my laptop with gnome 2, but I used my windows desktop most of the time) to a full time Ubuntu user. I tried straight unity for a few days and hated it. I then tried gnome 3 and fell in love. It only took like an hour to get used to and I found a sweet holo theme for gnome 3. I also loved gnome 3's integration with my google account. Mad it feel like my "giant android." Doesn't really matter what your used to, I got used to gnome 3 really fast, and it's nothing like windows. Just because your used to windows doesn't mean you have to choose KDE.

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
7 months ago I went from being a 75% of the time windows user (I had Mint 11 on my laptop with gnome 2, but I used my windows desktop most of the time) to a full time Ubuntu user. I tried straight unity for a few days and hated it. I then tried gnome 3 and fell in love. It only took like an hour to get used to and I found a sweet holo theme for gnome 3. I also loved gnome 3's integration with my google account. Mad it feel like my "giant android." Doesn't really matter what your used to, I got used to gnome 3 really fast, and it's nothing like windows. Just because your used to windows doesn't mean you have to choose KDE.
I love Gnome 3 as well, and no joke I just installed the Holo theme last night haha. Gives it an ICS look in my opinion. I'm about a 50/50 user with Windows, can't leave gaming just yet.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
He should go with whatever he likes (best way to do that is live cds). I think gnome 3 removes too many basic functionalities just for the sake of assuming a user can't handle them. XFCE is similar to Gnome 2 (which didn't have some of the Gnome 3 issues). Everyone has their favorite flavor though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts